Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shoulder Pain while Playing Keys

Hello. I have been experiencing regular pain in my R shoulder and occasional pain in my L shoulder, I think from playing piano.

The pain is located at the lower border of my shoulder blade. I am guessing it involves the Latisimus Dorsii muscle. It seems to be made worse when I do a block (30-40 mins) of scales and arpeggios, and when I play the upper manual of my 2-manual XK3 keyboard. The pain is lessened if I extend my arms up to the ceiling and then bend the elbows and lower the arms to my shoulders (with the forearms still pointing up to the ceiling) and repeat gently a few times.

I'm told it is silly to ask medical advice of strangers on the internet, so I am not asking for medical advice. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this (is such pain common for piano players or is it unique to me), and if anyone has any suggestions for positioning myself at the piano and what kind of movements might make the problem better or worse.

Some more things: I'm now 60+ years, so I am at the age where muscle and joint problems occur more frequently. I am retired and with covid, I typically play 4-5 hrs. a day. So the sheer amount of playing may be a factor. I was taking in-person instructions when I first noticed this, and asked my teacher about my position at the piano and my mechanics, and she seemed to think everything looked good (I'm not with a teacher these days). My own assessment is that I play with more force than is needed and I commonly have tension in my body when playing. So my painful shoulder may be due to tensing my back or banging too forcefully at the keyboard (I'm working on it, and I have been getting better).

I think I see a physical therapist in my future. Thanks for reading.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posture and positioning of the instrument are everything. As you get older you can't hunch over it. Ask anyone who works on the computer for long days. Shoulders relaxed and not lifted, elbows at 90 degrees, back straight, wrists relaxed and don't crane that neck like a t-rex.

Also, make sure it is not already irritated by something else. A LOT of people complain about shoulder and neck pain from cell phone and tablet use. Holding the thing up in front of your eyes for stretches, even repeatedly throughout the day. Yes, tenderness right in the blade.

You'll have to do process of elimination. Walk away from things it might be. Stretch and ice, maybe go for massage, physical therapy, or the chiropractor. When it calms down, reintroduce your habits and see what the culprit is.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Posture and positioning of the instrument are everything. As you get older you can't hunch over it. Ask anyone who works on the computer for long days. Shoulders relaxed and not lifted, elbows at 90 degrees, back straight, wrists relaxed and don't crane that neck like a t-rex.

Also, make sure it is not already irritated by something else. A LOT of people complain about shoulder and neck pain from cell phone and tablet use. Holding the thing up in front of your eyes for stretches, even repeatedly throughout the day. Yes, tenderness right in the blade.

You'll have to do process of elimination. Walk away from things it might be. Stretch and ice, maybe go for massage, physical therapy, or the chiropractor. When it calms down, reintroduce your habits and see what the culprit is.

Elmer is spot on with his reply.

I'm old so arthritis has started to hit me in low back and knee. After spending my whole life playing music mixed in with 35+ years as computer programmer and SysAdmin I've have no issues with hands or wrists. I credit that to always watching my position for hands, wrists, and later in life my sitting position and doing exercise to keep things moving. You have to listen to your body and when you get aches or pain have to made adjustments. BbAlter you can find solutions to your issues so you can play in comfort.

I am retired and with covid,.

Could this be the problem. isn't covid known to affect muscle and joints in a way similar to your complaint. Id be looking up this before blaming your playing. Besides with covid i think youd also be suffering fatigue which although you might not notice it normally imagine how fatigueing on your arms 4 hours of playing is. More from the sake of holding them at an angle to your body.

Look into that. My other thought is you have done some physical thing a while ago that you didnt notice had hurt you but is flaring up when playing.

Could this be the problem. isn't covid known to affect muscle and joints in a way similar to your complaint.

I think OP meant that due to the presence of Covid, they play 4-5 hours a day, not that they themself are infected.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Could this be the problem. isn't covid known to affect muscle and joints in a way similar to your complaint.

I think OP meant that due to the presence of Covid, they play 4-5 hours a day, not that they themself are infected.

Well thats a relief OP hasnt got it.

Thanks everyone who responded. I appreciate hearing from you.

@Aussiekeys - as of Fri 10/2, I am covid-negative (nose swab test). Yeah! (The soul-dance band did 8 outdoor shows this summer - one more to go - as well as outdoor practices. Any of those could have exposed me to coronavirus, so getting tested was necessary for me and my band-mates - and the audience.)

I like the idea of strengthening exercises. This is within my control and will contribute to overall wellness. I am easily 20 (maybe 30) pounds overweight, and that too is a likely contributing factor. Most days I do an hour walk outdoors (about 4 miles), but I need to do more. Good suggestions.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone