Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New: Boss GT-1000 Core

BiC

Any word on pricing?

It does look interesting. Small, light, capable of handling a gig plugged straight in if it came to that.

And interesting for recording.

I'll be watching for it.

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It looks interesting...

Click

Peace :thu:

I took a quick look, thinking it might be a more portable, more flexible upgrade to my GT-10 for those gigs where the intent is to get in & out with a minimum of weight & number of carried items. Then I realized it doesn't have the built in expression pedal & I guess I can get by just fine with the bigger, heavier, 10 year old GT-10 for a while longer. But, Boss stuff just keeps getting better all the time. I have about 4 different generations of Boss processors, & each one gets audibly better, with higher rate digital convertors, more processing power, more memory & simply better audio quality. I might could still get interested in this new box further down the road. The demo sounds very good.

• Like 1
Scott Fraser

Any word on pricing?

$700

Thanks! Yeah I wondered why no expression pedal also.

I'd like to start using an expression pedal but the reality is that I can enjoy a full gig with a good clean tone, good medium gain distortion tone and a tap tempo delay.

I didn't do a deep dive to see if you could just program the first footwitch to flip between clean and dirty and the second one for tap tempo. So maybe I'd need a 3rd switch?

I dunno, with no gigs pending it's hard to get into buying more gear. I've got everything I need and then some.

• Like 1

Any word on pricing?

It does look interesting. Small, light, capable of handling a gig plugged straight in if it came to that.

And interesting for recording.

I'll be watching for it.

Sweetwater has it priced at $700...

Click

• Like 1

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I also have a handful of Boss MFX, including a GT-3 and a GT-10, which I'm very happy with. The GT-100 didn't impress me enough to make me want one, and the GT-1000 was out of my price range; I also had to wonder why it looked so much like Line 6's Helix processors?

Looking at the available controls on the CORE, it's more like a pumped-up version of the GT-1, in terms of front panel controls. The GT-1 is the stripped-down entry-level version of the GT-100; they're only $200US +/-, and they come with an onboard Expression/Volume Pedal. I'm sure this unit has much more processing power than the GT-1, which makes the limited number of controls and switches more of an issue.

While the CORE has some features that I like, they're all available on the GT-1000, too, along with more controls and more connectivity. Given that, $700 for a stripped-down GT-1000 DSP doesn't exactly sound like a bargain to me, when you start adding in the cost of an outboard Expression Pedal ($60US for an EV-5, $100US for an EV-30), and a Dual Footswitch ($70US for an FS-6, $60US for an FS-7). Take my word for it, you will want both for this thing, if you buy one: there are a legion of features and function within the GT-series processors that you need more switches to take advantage of, or you're wasting much of the processing power of the device. Given the cost once you've augmented your foot switch array, I'd hold out for a used GT-1000.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Great analysis Sir Winston!

For the reasons you outline, I have a feeling it may not be a popular choice.

I'm with you, not just on the cost of adding all the goodies you would need/want but the time consumed hooking stuff up or making a larger more cumbersome pedal board.

All of it is out of my budget range at this point plus I have a Boss Katana, Roland Cube 40gx and Peavey Vypyr VIP models 1 and 3 with both the Sanpera 1 and the Sanpera 2 foot controllers.

I also have a Rivera A-B switch with either or both for options. Stereo with 2 different multi-effects amps and pedal systems is easy, if I ever get around to hooking it up.

So I need more effects like a hole in the head!!!!!

Most of our gigs are pretty simple and straightforward. I usually just gig the Katana, I have the programs I need and the line out sounds great into the PA so it's super fast to set up and tear down. Sometimes, that's what really matters. Gigs are fun but I've learned to keep them convenient as well.

• Like 1

@KuruPrionz - If it were $400-500, I think it might have a better chance. For $700, at a time when many Musicians aren't working, not so much.

The Line 6 POD Go is only $450US, with more hands-on (foot-on?) controls and a built-in Expression Pedal. The Line 6 HX Stomp is only $650, and I have to say, the Boss CORE resembles the HX Stomp much the way the GT-1000 resembles the Line 6 Helix MFX processors. It's said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but Boss used to be a company others sought to imitate, not the other way around.

Slightly off topic, but pertinent - I have two FLMS, one of which is an old, established family business with a huge stock of current gear, the other being a great Used Gear store run by two guys who've been friends since High School or thereabouts. I regularly scan the Reverb and Ebay listings for the Used Gear store, and lately, I've seen a LOT of pro-quality Guitars up for sale, Les Pauls, all manner of PRS Guitars, and lots of other high-end gear - Basses, Amps, Keyboards, and a legion of Vintage pedals - that people are selling off to pay bills. In an economic environment where players are selling their most valuable gear, I don't see a lot of players dropping $900+/- for a CORE and some outboard switches, unless they're downsizing. Even at $700 for the CORE itself, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Thanks Winston - spot on again.

I recently picked up the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI v2 AND Para Driver DI v2, both for recording in my humble home studio.

Both very useful tools for anything one might track and both have different and useful features.

My pedal budget is gone and then some. I'll wait and see how the market treats the multi-effects pedal market. I keep hoping Peavey and others will enter that market and make it more competitive.

At the same time, I understand if they don't, it is probably pretty crowded in terms of available options vs actual buyers $$$.

I'm not real big on deep dives into elaborate menu systems. I'll give Boss this one - the free software for programming the Katana amps is an excellent GUI with user friendly features that does not sacrifice versatility. The chorus "pedal" alone had 7 "knobs" to adjust parameters - that's about 4 more than you usually see on a stomp box. Favorite feature? When you click on any parameter to adjust it, a sliding "fader" appears at the right side of the effect parameter box, making precise adjustments fast and easy with a mouse.

I also love that you have the amp connected, can plug in your guitar and hear exactly what your adjustments sound like out in the real world.

I've had a knee-jerk tendency to want to upgrade the speaker in just about any amp I will be using for gigs but I changed my mind about the Katana one night at a show with a large stage and complete (decent) sound system. I turned the Katana output power switch to Off and played through the monitors and it sounded more or less just like the amp sounds. They've matched the sound of their own speaker with their Line Out, that is super cool for such an inexpensive amplifier.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I apologize for bringing up an old Post, that being said. Here is review of the full-size version. 

I purchased the full-size GT-1000 around thanksgiving 2022, after trying a friend's GT-1000core. I decided that for 700$ used it was a good deal.  If you can score either at a good price you will probably be happy. It has helped me start practicing more. It took me a month of learning about an hour every week to learn how to build patches using my lap top(also learned how to with my tablet using Bluetooth). I have never been all that good building patches with Boss gear, but now I am good enuff to build stuff for myself. Also got a few IRs loaded. 

The pros are. 

1 Sound really good once you get past the presets. As all pieces of gear like this the presets are just too much of showing off of every effect and amp. If you Bluetooth to tablet / phone or USB to a computer goto the tone central and get some better patches and load them into the user patches. 

2 All the connections most of us would ever need, USB, MIDI, Sub outs are XLR, 2 EFX loops ectara 1.i use the sub out to a small PA for practice using IRs dedicated for each patch. 2. Also use it 4 cable method with my amps (on completely different patches). 

3 Light weight easy to take with you like 12lbs with cables and such plus its road worthy. I have plugged into a pa at some jam sessions and then adjusted to the needs of my buds as they asked to try it. 

4 Has every effect I should need. Now that's not to say they are all perfect, but most are top notch. 

5 The value 700$ used including shipping and tax from reverb. I would have paid up to 825 for the full size. and if I lost, I would replace it with Identical piece.

Cons 

1 Learning Curve for this older player was a harsh reality that I have not kept up with Guitar tech. I feel now that I could program alot of these types of units (many are much easier but cost more and or will run out of DSP which no one has ever said of the GT-1000). Also, you may find yourself with options overload, so start simple and add only what you need then copy the patch to another location and add extra effects so you can have your basics down without erasing them. 

2 Programing using a laptop, or a tablet is necessary you can so it from the unit screen and buttons, but it will take you alot longer. And a phone screen size would make me crazy. 

3 The pitch shift effect is not the best, nitpicking here but its not as good as the Drop or the Brainwaves and I really wanted to use it for shifted tunings. 

4 Get and learn how to add IRs to the unit as its uses separate software to load them. The stock ones are passable and adjustable, but I have few and they were easier than adjusting the stock ones.  

The Core is also good unit, but I wanted full size midi connections and the Bluetooth. Like I said I tried my friends Core and with him choosing patches the sound quality was excellent. 

Lok

If you have any? s feel free to ask I wanted to volunteer a review for anyone who maybe looking for a unit in this range. 

• Like 4

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,