Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential resumes Prophet 5, Prophet 10

Ah, that would explain why peeps on the other forum were asking the Sequential person (cbmd) about fans and heat sink in the Prophet 10 reissue. The reply was "Don't need em"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1327454-new-sequential-prophet-5-10-a-29.html#post15014814

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I - like most people - was surprised about this. I remember a few years ago at trade show I briefly talked to Dave Smith and told him I was looking for a "Rev.2" - I meant , a Prophet-5 rev.2 from the late '70s, but of course he thought I was referring to his (then) new REV2. He immediately told me that it would be a pain to get a '70s rev2, troubleshoot it, get it fixed etc. - in other words, I didn't get the impression that he would be ever interested in re-releasing the old version. I'm glad that my impression was wrong, or that he changed his mind. This looks and sounds great! I would love to try thi soon... I was discussing it with Mark and Dave and we all thought that Korg - and now Sequential - are releasing the real deals - should we start imagining a new CS-80 "real deal" release? A new Jupiter-8 "real deal" release? I guess time will tell...

I - like most people - was surprised about this. I remember a few years ago at trade show I briefly talked to Dave Smith and told him I was looking for a "Rev.2" - I meant , a Prophet-5 rev.2 from the late '70s, but of course he thought I was referring to his (then) new REV2. He immediately told me that it would be a pain to get a '70s rev2, troubleshoot it, get it fixed etc. - in other words, I didn't get the impression that he would be ever interested in re-releasing the old version. I'm glad that my impression was wrong, or that he changed his mind. This looks and sounds great! I would love to try thi soon... I was discussing it with Mark and Dave and we all thought that Korg - and now Sequential - are releasing the real deals - should we start imagining a new CS-80 "real deal" release? A new Jupiter-8 "real deal" release? I guess time will tell...

I recently watched a Roland JD-XA demo on Sweetwater in which the salesman claimed the analog section was essentially a Jupiter 4. ;)

BTW, I checked out your Prophet 5 video demos on the SynthMania channel. Nice work as always!

Thanks! I literally got the Prophet-5 rev.2 a few months ago and Mark(yboard) fixed it!!! I think I can kiss goodbye to the value of that synth, now :D - Well, there's the famous phrase from Roland about not chasing the ghosts anymore... but if Korg, and now Sequential start producing stuff like this... I wonder if the other manufacturers start joining that wagon too. The bottom line is that a lot of people like the sound of real analog .... it's been like that forever...

Thanks! I literally got the Prophet-5 rev.2 a few months ago and Mark(yboard) fixed it!!! I think I can kiss goodbye to the value of that synth, now :D ...

I dont think so in the long run unless you paid top dollar but still had to repair it. Yes it may in the short term but theres still a lot of people who seek out the original of anything. Yes this new one will be a true P5 infact a carry on model which makes it harder on original ones but collectors are collectors and the "ive got one and you havent" will still keep vintage gear high even when a new one comes out. Sure the price might drop especially in the beginning but it will level out again. Will it be as much as some have been asking lately i dont know but i dont think its gonna plummet as much as you think in the long term.

Collectors or collector/players will still chase the original. Players will chase the new one. Yes the market is now spread thinner for selling originals but there is only so many originals out there for the collectors. And in theory collectors increase with the population growth. Dont panic yet time levels out the excitement of a new release.

I spoke to the buyer of mine yesterday about the new one but he said he was happy getting mine but i did sell mine very cheap. I wanted a no hassle sale to someone who appreciated it. Mine did have aussie rock history too before i got it. Ironically the gear he got off me included some of my dads gear and he likes the gears history of my family more than its previous rock history and we are relative nobodies. Thats a true collector the story behind the gear the history can never be replicated and this is one part of the value of vintage gear that is keeping vintage synths high as well as if it was a good synth in its day. True Collectors have a heart about gears history and thats the uncalcable part of gears value. As a young guy this is what attracted me about collecting. As an old dude with a limited life expectancy i want my gear / collection to go to a like minded collector. Im trying to not let my wife stuck with getting rid of my hoarding errr collecting

If it helps to lesson that blow basically dont look at it that you now can get a cheaper New P5. Look at it that you have a part of rock history especially if you know its history.

Thanks! I literally got the Prophet-5 rev.2 a few months ago and Mark(yboard) fixed it!!! I think I can kiss goodbye to the value of that synth, now :D - Well, there's the famous phrase from Roland about not chasing the ghosts anymore... but if Korg, and now Sequential start producing stuff like this... I wonder if the other manufacturers start joining that wagon too. The bottom line is that a lot of people like the sound of real analog .... it's been like that forever...

Don"t worry Paolo, yours has that very rare and special 'duh' quality that will be sought after for years to come :laugh:.

I do think that Moog will consider a Reissue Memorymoog. The Moog One raised many of the same reactions as the more modern Sequential/DSI synths; More and 'better' isn"t necessarily better.

I do think that Moog will consider a Reissue Memorymoog. The Moog One raised many of the same reactions as the more modern Sequential/DSI synths; More and 'better' isn"t necessarily better.

A Memorymoog hopefully without all of the problems! But I wonder, with the Prophet 5/10 and announced desktop versions, whether Sequential will then discontinue the P6?

A Memorymoog hopefully without all of the problems!

I'd love to have one again, but they'd have to have a newer fan that's not as loud as a vacuum cleaner!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

There's been a lot of conjecture as to why this is coming out now. My take is because it could only be done now. OnChip reissued the Curtis chips a couple of years ago, and then when Sound Semiconductor released their updated SSM2040 last May... well, much like in 1977 Dave Smith looked around and realized he had everything he needed to build the Prophet 5.

And he did, and the world is better off for it.

He's marketing this correctly too. Unlike other manufacturers who tease products months (or years!) before their release, the Prophet 5 and Prophet 10 starts shipping next week - while excitement is still at it's peak.

From what I picked up the Minimoog Model D reissue went very well - beyond expectations - and I believe these will too. They're timeless classics.

This may not be well known yet, but I have an inside contact who told me this tonight as it was related to some tragedies in his own family this week due to the same fires, but Dave Smith lost at least part of his home in Saint Helena CA and has had to hunker down in SF, even during the P5/P10 announcements and his 70th birthday. It's hard to know the full impact as the fires apparently aren't all that well contained yet. It's just unimaginable what is going on. My own home in Concord CA isn't under threat yet; the current fires all seem to be in wine country. But now that I am in NC for a new job, it has me a bit concerned. I left everything behind as well, including my Minimoog. But really it's the people in Sonoma and Napa counties who are under the worst threat by far, and I hope Dave didn't lose much.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Dan Wyman who recorded Bach's Simphonia No. 11 - 3 Part Invention for the original Prophet 5 1978 sound sheet demo owned two original Prophet 10 synths. He was a music professor at San Jose University and worked as sound designer with film director/composer John Carpenter.

Synthesist, composer, producer Patrick Gleeson also owned two original Prophet 10s. I remember a Keyboard Magazine interview where he said his P10 had no problems with overheating. A Prophet 10 that likely belonged to Gleeson is now in the Audities Synth Museum.

Korg R&D engineer Brandon Daniel kept a non-working single manual Prophet 10 in the Korg R&D lab for many years. He supplied some IC's from his P10 - possibly EPROMs - to the Audities Museum to repair their Prophet 10.

http://users.telenet.be/prophet-5/Prophet_5_Revisions/Prototype/Prophet10.jpg

SCI_Prophet_10_inside_-_all_of_it.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

This may not be well known yet, but I have an inside contact who told me this tonight as it was related to some tragedies in his own family this week due to the same fires, but Dave Smith lost at least part of his home in Saint Helena CA and has had to hunker down in SF, even during the P5/P10 announcements and his 70th birthday. It's hard to know the full impact as the fires apparently aren't all that well contained yet. It's just unimaginable what is going on. My own home in Concord CA isn't under threat yet; the current fires all seem to be in wine country. But now that I am in NC for a new job, it has me a bit concerned. I left everything behind as well, including my Minimoog. But really it's the people in Sonoma and Napa counties who are under the worst threat by far, and I hope Dave didn't lose much.

Sad to hear this :(

Dan Wyman who recorded Bach's Simphonia No. 11 - 3 Part Invention for the original Prophet 5 1978 sound sheet demo owned two original Prophet 10 synths. He was a music professor at San Jose University and worked as sound designer with film director/composer John Carpenter.

Synthesist, composer, producer Patrick Gleeson also owned two original Prophet 10s. I remember a Keyboard Magazine interview where he said his P10 had no problems with overheating. A Prophet 10 that likely belonged to Gleeson is now in the Audities Synth Museum.

Korg R&D engineer Brandon Daniel kept a non-working single manual Prophet 10 in the Korg R&D lab for many years. He supplied some IC's from his P10 - possibly EPROMs - to the Audities Museum to repair their Prophet 10

Denny Zetilin was another owner of a single manual P10. SCI offered to convert his unit to a P5 but he preferred to tolerate the foibles in exchange for being able to lay both hands on the keyboard.

Forgot about Zeitlin. He got his P10 through Patrick Gleeson. If this is all correct there were at least six of them built rather than five as usually thought.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

A new P5 reissue with added features for $3500 should sell big time. Dave didn't say anything about a release date??

I do recall reading that DB didn't care for the Prophet sound way back when. When I was playing live shows back in the seventies and eighties, I remember reading about reliability problems with the Prophet 5 Rev 1 and 2 so initially I passed. The music store I was dealing with was an Oberheim dealer at the time, so I bought an OBX 6 voice, that synth was a building shaker. When Dave Smith came out with the P5 Rev 3, I saved up $$ and borrowed the rest of the $$$ to get one, I kept hearing P5 sounds on records back in the days, so I HAD to have one.

I still have my P5 and it still works to this day. I only had it worked on twice since 1981, I sure got my money's worth.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Forgot about Zeitlin. He got his P10 through Patrick Gleeson. If this is all correct there were at least six of them built rather than five as usually thought.

I had no idea that they were that rare. My band was playing in Cannery Row (Monterey, CA) in the late 1970s or maybe 1980. We wandered into a little restaurant/bar in the area one afternoon where a jazz quartet was rehearsing and there was a guy playing a Prophet 10. Anyone have an idea which of the 5 or 6 it might have been? An older (than me) white guy with a greying ponytail as I recall.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I'm rereading "Prophets of Silicon Valley" and there were a bunch of Rev1 10-voice systems sold. A few dozen from the sound of it, all the early orders were 10 voice. Almost all of them came back and only 2 existed at the time of that writing, Korg R&D and Audities museum.

A new P5 reissue with added features for $3500 should sell big time. Dave didn't say anything about a release date??

It starts shipping today. They just posted a picture of Dave loading SN 001 into his car - a Tesla with the "PROPHT5" vanity plate. :thu:

You got me to surf to Instagram, Twitter, and FB to find that post.

It's on FB only for the moment. I believe the photo is publicly viewable. I was concerned after reading the posts about the CA fires and the impact on Dave. He's looking good here and same with the sky behind him

https://www.facebook.com/sequentialLLC/photos/pb.120221274669412.-2207520000../3713688228656014/?type=3&theater

Sorry GS, should've linked the post, but I had seen it earlier and didn't have it in front of me!

No worries!

Question to anyone still following, anybody recognize these "famous" presets from a pop song or perhaps some fusion track? The Clavinet and organ presets sound generic enough to probably have been used somewhere, but the rest are not so obvious. He seems to have picked a more obscure preset bank. Extra credit to him for not using reverb or delay.

[video:youtube]

Another story/sighting about a P-10:

"I wrote Jump on a Sequential Circuits Prophet-10 in my bedroom while the studio was being built. Everytime I got the sound that I wanted on the right-hand split section of the keyboard, it would start smoking and pop a fuse. I got another one and the same thing happened. A guy I knew said I should try an Oberheim OB-Xa, so I bought one of those and got the sound I wanted." Eddie Van Halen

Guitar World interview

R.I.P. Eddie.

Without sharing the component in my soul-life which screams for the knowledge about all kinds of details, or repeating my sound judgement I've listened to a number of (original) Prophet 5 recordings and belief the design had and still has specific merits that are of specific value, including matching certain sound design criteria. One can ask oneself if it is reasonable no other synthesis engine would be able to match these criteria.

Theo

Dave Smith lost at least part of his home in Saint Helena CA and has had to hunker down in SF, even during the P5/P10 announcements and his 70th birthday.

Dave's birthday is April 2nd. I know this for sure because that's my birthday as well.

When I was the only other employee at DSI fifteen years ago, everyone who worked there was named Dave, had a one syllable five letter last name, and was born on April 2nd.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

One can ask oneself if it is reasonable no other synthesis engine would be able to match these criteria.

Theo

I believe you're asking if other synths can match up or get close enough to the sound of the P5? For me the answer is yes and this is always the first question I ask myself when considering a particular synth. IMO there are way more interesting synths out there than the P5/10. But decisions on what to buy should be based on what you already have and how particular you are about recreating specific sounds or creating new sounds. And also the playing experience/interaction with the synth.

At least that's how I see it.

One can ask oneself if it is reasonable no other synthesis engine would be able to match these criteria.

Theo

I believe you're asking if other synths can match up or get close enough to the sound of the P5? For me the answer is yes and this is always the first question I ask myself when considering a particular synth. IMO there are way more interesting synths out there than the P5/10. But decisions on what to buy should be based on what you already have and how particular you are about recreating specific sounds or creating new sounds. And also the playing experience/interaction with the synth.

At least that's how I see it.

Now you see, that is far too rational and logical a position for any determined GAS addict to entertain.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain