Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A belated happy birthday to me

Sharkman

d682578e2db580fa0d9d9c29d3473bd1e2d313aa.jpg

My birthday was one week ago today, on September 22nd. But this just arrived today. It's my birthday gift to myself. I have wanted a double neck guitar for 45 years now,even before I learned how to play. And now I've got one, an Epiphone that is very similar to the one used by Jimmy Page. Musiciansfriend.com finally got in a shipment of these, but sold them all before they got to my order, so I had to wait until their next shipment arrived. I am definitely going to have fun with this one. :cool:

I rock; therefore, I am.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one. An Alpine White EDS-1275 like Alex Lifeson used. But It was the 80s and I needed something with a wang bar. ð¥º. I was an idiot ... Well I still have they JEM.

Happy Birthday and many more. ððð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My birthday was one week ago today, on September 22nd. But this just arrived today. It's my birthday gift to myself. I have wanted a double neck guitar for 45 years now,even before I learned how to play. And now I've got one, an Epiphone that is very similar to the one used by Jimmy Page. Musiciansfriend.com finally got in a shipment of these, but sold them all before they got to my order, so I had to wait until their next shipment arrived. I am definitely going to have fun with this one. :cool:

Happy Belated Birthday amigo, enjoy the new axe, it looks cool.

Did the bear hide come with it?

I saw Deke Dickerson play with a double neck Mosrite Joe Maphis model, had a guitar and a mandolin. Every other band member came up alongside him on one song and they did a duet playing the 2 necks.

Made a great show, the crowd went nuts.

Happy Birthday AND NGD!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I already broke one of the G strings on the 12 string neck, so I'm going to stop off at Guitar Center tomorrow and buy a few extras. In a week and a half, I'll be at Sweetwater down in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where I need to pick up some things. One of those things is a good leather guitar strap for this guitar, which will be attached with some Dunlop strap locks. And thanks for the happy birthdays.
I rock; therefore, I am.

I already broke one of the G strings on the 12 string neck, so I'm going to stop off at Guitar Center tomorrow and buy a few extras. In a week and a half, I'll be at Sweetwater down in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where I need to pick up some things. One of those things is a good leather guitar strap for this guitar, which will be attached with some Dunlop strap locks. And thanks for the happy birthdays.

I would hugely recommend the Schaller strap locks over the Dunlop. Fixed a couple of broken headstocks when the Dunlops failed - Schaller's are a much better design.

Or you could do what I always do now and just buy some large washers with small holes and screw the strap onto the guitar. The strap on my 335 has been on there since 1988 and it is not going anywhere.

Super cheap, simple and dead reliable.

Kuru, I had to go up to northern Canada to get that bear. When the hunting guide and I found the bear, we weren't sure if he was alive or dead. So, since it was after dark, I handed my flashlight to the guide, walked up to the bear, and poked him to see if he was alive or dead. He was dead. That proves that I'm not really insane.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Kuru, I had to go up to northern Canada to get that bear. When the hunting guide and I found the bear, we weren't sure if he was alive or dead. So, since it was after dark, I handed my flashlight to the guide, walked up to the bear, and poked him to see if he was alive or dead. He was dead. That proves that I'm not really insane.

Or the opposite!!! You could not pay me to poke a bear that's maybe dead!!!

It might rise up one last time and eat your face. I probably would have put a round into it's skull first just to make sure.

Nice hide though.

Kuru, would you get into a large steel cage with a live wolverine and feed him raw meat by hand? I've done that too. How about shoot a ten foot two and a half inch long alligator in the back of the neck with a crossbow while standing two feet away from him? Or kill a large (about 300 lbs.) wild hog with a samurai sword? All the pictures are on I-am-Sharkman.tumblr.com.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Kuru, would you get into a large steel cage with a live wolverine and feed him raw meat by hand? I've done that too. How about shoot a ten foot two and a half inch long alligator in the back of the neck with a crossbow while standing two feet away from him? Or kill a large (about 300 lbs.) wild hog with a samurai sword? All the pictures are on I-am-Sharkman.tumblr.com.

I'm questioning the "That proves I am not insane" sentence above.

I can't prove I am not insane. I am more cautious now than I used to be. Haven't tangled with beasts much. I took LSD on a road trip up to Yosemite and when we stopped on the side of the road I grabbed the toboggan and zipped down the hill to the meadow below in the moonlight. No way to know if there was a rock, a crevice or an unseen steep incline. I did OK but that was insane.

I accepted a ride from a friend who had driven straight through from Boston MA to Mendocino CA in a Saab Sonnet sports car, he was going to Oakland to drop the car off and was going to take me to the Greyhound station so i could hitchhike to Fresno. First we got drunk, then we started zooming down twisty mountain roads, talking. Jerry was talking in his sleep when we hurled off the cliff, flipped end over end hitting rocks and trees until we stopped almost to the Russian River below with the roof of the car against a tree. I pushed my door open, got out and pushed the car back down flat so Jerry could get out. We walked back up that hill, would have been dead but the Swedes put a roll bar cage in the car that saves our worthless lives. That was insane.

Went up to the Sierras on a hot summer day with tribe of hippies, slipped trying to cross a small creek (instead of going up there where everybody else was crossing safely), started sliding down the creek on my ass and suddenly was airborne. I only fell a few feet into a pond with sand in the bottom, lucky me. That was insane.

There'e plenty more. So I am not so much pointing fingers as just not totally accepting your "not insane" comment. :laugh:

It's a wonder both of us are here, typing.

Like me, you probably look back at some of the things you did in your life, and you ask yourself "How in the Hell did I manage to survive?" Life is all about experiences, both good and bad, and how you handle them. At the age of 61, I'm hoping to add a lot more experiences for at least forty more years, and hopefully be able to remember all, or at least most of them.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Like me, you probably look back at some of the things you did in your life, and you ask yourself "How in the Hell did I manage to survive?" Life is all about experiences, both good and bad, and how you handle them. At the age of 61, I'm hoping to add a lot more experiences for at least forty more years, and hopefully be able to remember all, or at least most of them.

Yep. And of course I made many stupid long-term decisions. Humans are not born smart, they may or may not be born with the potential to be smart.

I am smart now but it took too long to grow a brain.

I'm focused on music and recording, now that I have some hearing damage from playing way too loud in rock bands. With thousands of gigs behind me, I look forward to making recordings. I've gotten lots of compliments for my songwriting, last winter there was a table with 7 people in front of the duo, 5 of them were singing along with one of my songs and they knew all the words. Quite different from somebody saying "cool song yo."

That's where I'm at now. In the current situation the best thing I can do is be an army of one and create.

d682578e2db580fa0d9d9c29d3473bd1e2d313aa.jpg

Happy belated birthday, and congrats on the axe! I believe Winston has one like that as well.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I am definitely going to have fun with this one. :cool:

I'm sure you are! Congratulations and here's to another Victory-Lap around the Sun!

KerrRRRAAANNGG... !!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@Sharkman - Happy belated birthday, brother, and thank you for thinking of me.

I've wanted one of those since I first saw Mahavishnu John McLaughlin slinging an EDS-1275 way back when, but have never committed the $$$ to getting one. I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

FWIW, one of McLaughlin's reasons for adopting the double-neck was the "Sympathetic String" sound he got by having both sets of Pickups "On", while playing on the 6-string neck. A lot of his arrangements used open strings, which made for lots of sustained overtones.

Then, of course, there's the temptation of Open Tunings.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 1 month later...

I would hugely recommend the Schaller strap locks over the Dunlop. Fixed a couple of broken headstocks when the Dunlops failed - Schaller's are a much better design.

Or you could do what I always do now and just buy some large washers with small holes and screw the strap onto the guitar. The strap on my 335 has been on there since 1988 and it is not going anywhere.

I finally got around to putting on the Schaller strap locks today. The stock strap buttons came off with a Phillips head screwdriver, but the Schallers needed a 3 millimeter Allen head wrench. Good thing I have a set of standard and metric wrenches handy. I like how the Schallers attach to the guitar strap by screwing on a threaded ring, as opposed to the Dunlops, which use a spring steel E-clip (very easy to break). Thank you for recommending the Schallers.

I rock; therefore, I am.

I finally got around to putting on the Schaller strap locks today. The stock strap buttons came off with a Phillips head screwdriver, but the Schallers needed a 3 millimeter Allen head wrench. Good thing I have a set of standard and metric wrenches handy. I like how the Schallers attach to the guitar strap by screwing on a threaded ring, as opposed to the Dunlops, which use a spring steel E-clip (very easy to break). Thank you for recommending the Schallers.

You're welcome!! I repaired 2 broken headstocks on Gibson Les Pauls that had Dunlop strap lock failure.

The Schaller design prevents those types of failures and their level of manufacturing quality ensures it.

@Sharkman - I have Schaller strap-locks on all my Electrics, but they screwed in with a standard Phillips head? Are yours the newer "S-Locks" type?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Winston, yes, they are. I just pulled out the small plastic box they came in, and it says S-Locks Nickel. After I put the strap locks and the new strap on my guitar, I walked around with it both inside and outside to make sure it would stay secure. My neighbors probably ask themselves "Is he some kind of rock star? How many guitars does he have?" The answers are 1) Only in my mind, and 2) Not enough, but almost enough.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Personally, I've had the opposite experience- that is, I greatly prefer the Dunlop StrapLoks to the Schaller Strap Locks. Besides being lower-profile (I hate the obtrusive jutting "toggles" of the Schallers, visually and ergonomically), I've had the strap-born components of those Schallers fall apart- there's very little, shallow threading between the fastening hardware- dropping the guitar, in spite of the Schaller's stirrup-like 'cups'.

LOCTITE BLUE OR EVEN RED THREAD-LOCKER IS VERY, VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR THE STRAP-MOUNTING FASTENERS OF THE SCHALLER STRAP-LOCKS!!!

I really like the Dunlop StrapLoks on my Les Paul; my only recommendation with them is, apply a dab of Teflon-gel lubricant to the bearing-surfaces with the coupling, to eliminate squeaks and squeals from ringing out audibly through your guitars body and even pickups, amp and speakers. (Whale noises! :D ) The same goes for the stirrup-cups on the Schaller Strap-Locks, though be careful NOT to get any on the threaded nut and body that mounts them to the strap- that's where you definitely want some Loctite thread-locker, or your guitar WILL inevitably, eventually take a dive.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _