Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequential resumes Prophet 5, Prophet 10

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah...that was unexpected. And only 31 lbs to boot!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Sooo...The Prophet 5/10, Polybrute, Super 6, Jupiter X, and Behringer's versions of CS-80, OB8 and PPG. How's this going to work? Do I just sign my kid's 529 college plans over to Sweetwater? I'm sure they will understand.

Sooo...The Prophet 5/10, Polybrute, Super 6, Jupiter X, and Behringer's versions of CS-80, OB8 and PPG. How's this going to work? Do I just sign my kid's 529 college plans over to Sweetwater? I'm sure they will understand.

:D

Luckily my kiddo graduated college almost 5 years ago, and she has a great job. Funny thing, I was just speaking last week with my "sales engineer" at Sweetwater about pluses and minuses of a few high end boards...... and now this along...

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I must be one of the only synth geeks who was never really a big fan of the P5. The sound has just never knocked me out - always preferred Moog and Oberheim back in the day. :idk:

dB

All of the iconic analogs from Moog, Oberheim, ARP, Sequential, Roland, Yamaha (ok maybe just CS-80) were part of my childhood soundtrack.

I didn't realize how much P5 was a part of it until we compared Arturia Prophet V and DSI P6 patches at Mark's place, when ProfD brought his P6 over.

I must be one of the only synth geeks who was never really a big fan of the P5. The sound has just never knocked me out - always preferred Moog and Oberheim back in the day. :idk:

dB

Somewhat agree. I was always more excited by the OB series than the Prophet. But damn if this doesn't sound good (maybe I'm getting more refined in my old age!) The new features they are adding certainly make it more versatile.

"Rev1, Rev2, and Rev3 â through the use of genuine Curtis analog VCOs and filters (as in the Rev3) as well as new 2140 low-pass filters designed by Dave Rossum, like the 2040 filters he designed in the original Rev1 and Rev2. " :thu::cheers:

The 2040 filter is my all time favorite 4 pole filter. It can sweep harmonics at high resonance, yet sounds lovely and characterful at low resonance. It can sound Moogy but without all the low end loss when you add resonance.

Moe

---

Looks like street price is around $3500 for the P5, and 4300 for the P10

I'm old enough now that I only need one kidney.......

Seriously, tho: A brand new Prophet 5, with all the knobs and buttons in the "right" place, enhancements yet true to form, and a full warranty?

I know I just went thru a trade in phase with my MODX6 for my new MODX8.

However, I am seriously considering selling some gear, like my new YC61, and some other gear I no longer really use. Real Prophet 5 above my MODX8.

Funny thing, I was 18 when I become lucky enough to have a Prophet 5 in 1980. It was my first foray into knobby synths, and what I learned on as far as how to get sounds I want. When I look at these pics of the new on, everything is where it's supposed to be. The layout is still drilled in my mind from all those years ago. Of course, I can't remember where i just put my car keys....

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

dB

From this nobody"s perspective, you are second to none. :Python:

That's interesting. For me, in the very early days of mono synths, it was mainly Moog - because of Emerson, Corea, Wakeman, and everyone else - and ARP, mainly because of Zawinul. The Oberheim sound (well, the SEM sound back then) was more of an acquired taste.

When the Prophet 5 came out, I thought that it was the closest thing to a polyphonic Moog at the time. The CS80 sounded great, but very different from a Moog. The Memorymoog was still a few years into the future, and the Polymoog... wasn't. ;)

When I had the chance to play a Rev 2 P5 for the first time, this impression was reinforced. And these days, playing the Pro 3 with its 3 filters, I can verify that the ladder filter and Prophet/OTA filter sound quite similar. Not identical by any means, especialy in sweeps with high resonance - but similar.

Sure, the SCI implementation of the ladder filter is not exactly a Moog filter - and I don't have a Mini at home anymore for a direct comparison.

*But* I have a Boog.... ummm. :D:evil: