Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboards aren't always a bad investment

Bif_

Stocks, art, real estate (but not your primary residence), baseball cards, antiques....

Many people need a car to get to work and make money (or did). But a car is not an investment.

.... keyboards are not an investment. Selling for a good price .... does not make it an investment.......just because you use it to make money does not make it an investment.

Not at all! That would be a very strange definition for investment. You left out the keyword right there. A car is not an investment for you. Same thing with an instrument. If you bought a keyboard for casual use, you just bought something. If I bought a Triton Studio for $3k plus and made over 80K with it, I made an investment that paid off big time. I bought it to make money and I did! Why would I want to invest in baseball cards and antiques, when I can invest in something that I can actually work with and make money! I know nothing about antiques and game cards. Buying those things won't be an investment for me at all.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, that was some temporary bad luck with the '' 3rd time is the charm '' with your kronos.

my perfect hindsight 'investment ' keyboard story is my 9 year old kronos.

not only was it '' free '' [ I sold 3 other keyboards to fund the kronos purchase ], it has made me rich and famous in 3

European countries. .

There must be a reason why people say 3rd time is the charm after all. The 3rd one hasn't been giving me problems and hopefully I'll use it for a long time. You're one of the few who still contributes to that composition thread on Korg Forums. Glad to know you finally gained the celebrity status in Europe. ;)

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Sorry Bif, it wasn"t my intent to bust balls here and you obviously get the distinction.

You are 100% good by me, my friend. No balls were harmed by your post! Your comment resonated with me as co-workers often come to me for help with sensitive or crucial written communication. I totally get it.

When it comes time to sell hopefully you feel you got your money"s worth, however you measure it. So I"ll go with your last alternative title. :D .

Yes, I added those alternative titles but thought the last one would convey the spirit of levity that was intended by my post.

I hate the whole process of selling.

Agreed. I think one reason I hold onto gear is that it is often so painful to find a buyer. That has changed in recent years. A few weeks ago I sold a Roland SC-88. It was sitting on one of my monitors, rarely used, and I thought it best to try to sell it rather than let it become totally worthless over time. I sold it in 2 days on Reverb (my first sale there) and pocketed $150. I think I paid around $900 for it in 1998, but for over 20 year old gear, I was ecstatic. Less clutter, a little cash. Simplify.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Stocks, art, real estate (but not your primary residence), baseball cards, antiques....

Many people need a car to get to work and make money (or did). But a car is not an investment.

.... keyboards are not an investment. Selling for a good price .... does not make it an investment.......just because you use it to make money does not make it an investment.

Not at all! That would be a very strange definition for investment. You left out the keyword right there. A car is not an investment for you. Same thing with an instrument. If you bought a keyboard for casual use, you just bought something. If I bought a Triton Studio for $3k plus and made over 80K with it, I made an investment that paid off big time. I bought it to make money and I did! Why would I want to invest in baseball cards and antiques, when I can invest in something that I can actually work with and make money! I know nothing about antiques and game cards. Buying those things won't be an investment for me at all.

You are correct in that the same expenditure could be an investment for some and not others. But I believe the distinction using your Triton as an example is not whether it allows you to make money but whether it allows you to make more money and whether that's the intent of purchase. Someone like Michael Boddicker who purchases a particular synth for a movie soundtrack is probably making an investment. Most people here that upgrade from a Nord Whatever to a Nord Whatever+1...probably not an investment.

Our Prius gets my wife to work. If we replace it with a fancy Mercedes she doesn't make more money with it so its simply an expense (sorry honey). If it was purchased with the intent of entertaining and maybe impressing potential clients then yes, it can be considered an investment. I threw those other easy examples out there because they're typically purchased with the intent of making more money.

We get into gray areas quickly here and I don't claim to be an expert. This is just my understanding fwiw. Anyway I think I've invested ...errr.... spent enough time on this topic.