Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Rocco Prestia

CEB

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.musicradar.com/news/rocco-prestia-if-you-attack-everything-like-its-the-first-time-you-ever-played-it-itll-stay-fresh-and-will-lead-to-new-ideas

Rocco Prestia: 'If you attack everything like it"s the first time you ever played it, it"ll stay fresh and will lead to new ideas'

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

AWB opened for TOP many times through the years, and I got to play with him a bit once while we were setting up for our sound check. How many bass players haven't worked on playing "What Is Hip" at some point in their development? A big loss. RIP and condolences to his family and all the TOP faithful.

Also - I can't help noticing zero mention (as of this posting) in the lowdown forum here. Really?

My fave bass player, Steve Evans, tells this story on Facebook today: "my great bud, FABULOUS drummer ( was in TOP for a number of years ) and longtime musical compatriot/ friend of mine, Mick Mestek, was there when Jaco met Rocco!!! â Mick told me Jaco immediately bowed to Roccoâ HELL yeah!!!....â ohhh - just talked to Mick - there s more to that story - holy crap!! It was at rock entrepreneur of ALLTIME ,-Bill Graham s b day party (or some party for Bill) in Marin âand when Jaco came in and met Rocco, Jaco got on his KNEES , and bowed to Rocco, then proceeded to kiss Rocco s hands- the Rocco pulled his hands away ( humbly) and said 'C mon Man!! Frigging PERFECTION......."
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

He definitely made a musical impression on me. I've seen TOP dozens of times & even though Rocco hasn't been there the last few gigs, his musical legacy & style will always live on.

Godspeed Rocco.

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

Rocco and Garibaldi we a force together! When you have a foundation like that to build on just listen the funk they produced! RIP Rocco!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I don't know how many times I've been with a band covering a TOP song and seen the bass player shaking their head in quiet humility, usually on What is Hip, but other stuff too. Lots of times. I can't think of a more profound tribute than that.

Drummers too!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I don't know how many times I've been with a band covering a TOP song and seen the bass player shaking their head in quiet humility, usually on What is Hip, but other stuff too. Lots of times. I can't think of a more profound tribute than that.

Drummers too!

True that. The bass player in my funk band is a beast, and big TOP fan, but he has deep scars from playing What Is Hip in a cover band back in college. As a bass player myself (and as an organist!) I can relate.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Hadn't he been in and out of the band for health issues?

He was in & out of the band a few times before retiring from the road. Marc van Wageningen has had the gig since 2018.

I had heard he had a transplant and it didn't go all that well?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is tough...but I sort of knew it was coming...

I also somewhat disagreed with the fact that TOP let him go a few years ago.

I wish they would have considered hiring an understudy who might have also been able to provide roadie functions.

He had been ill for many years....miraculously he was given many additional years through several major operations.

Some info has come to light recently through interviews regarding just how many drug issues were a part of t

Tower during their classic years. I was surprised that it even affected David Garibaldi... Though it caused Rocco to be fired during that time.

Still ..he recovered and gave us many years of great music in this century...

A huge loss and a shock for today...wow...

When I wrote my TOP tribute song for my album, I listened to a bunch of TOP just for the bass lines and tried to write one similar. I gave it to our bass player who was like 'well okay'. And I said it had a Rocco vibe, just do that and he educated me that basically nobody can play like Rocco plays in his totally unique style. It's somewhat inimitable. (He still did a great job on the bassline though).

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native