Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A small portable recorder

marino

Hi fellow Cornerers, a quick question.

In the next days/weeks, I could have the chance to play a couple of rare/historic synths. I would love to capture some good quality audio from the experience, perhaps to synchronize later to a video - assuming I will have the time to set up a video recording, which I'm not sure of.

So I would like to bring a small audio recorder. I don't need ultra-professional, just clean and noise-free. Wav at 44.1 and 16 bit would be more than enough.

Unfortunately, my only laptop is underpowered and not well-equipped for audio, as I never use it for music. Plus, I'd like to bring something small that I can setup quickly. And as inexpensive as possible, because I don't know if/when I will use it again in the future.

What I need:

- A couple of line-level inputs for stereo recording;

- a way to monitor record levels;

- some kind of output (even a headphone output would suffice), to hear what I'm playing;

- some decent recording time of linear audio, perhaps on SD card or USB pen.

- And of course, an USB connection to the computer, to transfer the audio files later.

That's it, nothing more. Even if it does *not* have a direct output, I could bring a small mixer for monitoring - but I would prefer to stay as compact as possible.

What I *don't* need: Mics, mic preamps, on-board editing (I'll do all necessary editing later on the computer), multitrack recording/mixing.

It should be simple enough to design such a basic device, but if it exists, I don't seem to be able to track it down. There are the usual Tascam/Zoom etc. solutions, but they all seem to have either mics, or multitrack recording, etc., and I would love to know if something simpler and closer to what I need does exist.

As an alternative, I was told that some small mixers can record audio directly to an USB pen drive. I searched a bit, but it turned out that most of them just pass the audio to their USB connection, but then you need an external recorder or computer to record it.

I found just one such mixer where it's stated clearly that it will record directly to an USB pen. I only saw it on Italian stores sites, so I guess it's an Italian product. But it only records in mp3 format, and even the manual doesn't make clear at what resolution, so I'm not sure. Here.

I have to decide quickly on a possible purchase. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an alternative, I was told that some small mixers can record audio directly to an USB pen drive. I searched a bit, but it turned out that most of them just pass the audio to their USB connection, but then you need an external recorder or computer to record it.

That external recorder could be a smartphone. Or something like this might work for you... https://www.headsetbuddy.com/line-level-audio-input-adapter-for-iphone-smartphones/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a Tascam DR40 and I love it. It's small, light, easy to operate and runs for several hours off 3 AAA batteries. I have a pretty OK camera tripod I mount it on most of the time.

The mics are very good too and the DR 40 allows for XY or AB recording which is most useful. Will record up to 24 bit at 96k and yes, 4 tracks. All the stuff you say you don't want.

IK Mulitmedia iRig has the features you are looking for. It isn't much smaller, has much shorter battery life and I don't think it's less expensive. I've never used one, see no reason to have one.

I would wager that once you have something without microphones you will wish it had them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You have a long wish list that is severely restricted by budget. I don't see a better option than this tascam for $90, it has 1/8 inch input if you don't want to use the stereo microphones and it has an 1/8 inch output for headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/Tascam-DR-05X-Handheld-Recorder-Interface/dp/B07N3FC7N3/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=high+quality+portable+recorder&qid=1601482416&sr=8-16

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

Folks seem to be recommending models that put an emphasis on miked field recording rather than the stereo line in recording and mix monitoring capacity the OP mentions. For what it's worth, I would actually suggest that the Tascam DP-004 or the Tascam DP-006. Both are inexpensive (I got my DP-004 used a few months ago for something like $60), have multiple stereo line ins, have a set of knobs to monitor the mix and to actually mix the final file, and have a stereo mics that to my ears sound great. They also come with an SD card and connect directly to a computer through USB. I'd recommend those models rather than the ones designed for field recording - I've found mine to be great for recording ideas direct.

DP-006

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

Thank all for the quick responses!

Yes, it looks like the Zoom H-series or Tascam DR-series could be my best bet so far. I also saw the M-Audio MicroTrack II, which has 1/4 line inputs - but on the other hand, the Zoom and Tascam devices have much better mics, and even though I'm not going to use mics for this particular project, once I have made the purchase I could find other uses, like recording reharsal and stuff - assuming that live music will be resurrected at some point....

I would avoid the iRig stuff, because it's not less expensive than Tascam or Zoom, and they don't inspire the same confidence (I have tried a couple of their keyboards and... oh, never mind).

The smartphone+USB mixer solution could be inexpensive and interesting, *if* I already had a small mixer with USB output, but no such luck... so I would have to buy a USB mixer in the first place... that wouldn't be too rational. :D

Keep those ideas coming! :)

Folks seem to be recommending models that put an emphasis on miked field recording rather than the stereo line in recording and mix monitoring capacity the OP mentions. For what it's worth, I would actually suggest that the Tascam DP-004 or the Tascam DP-006. Both are inexpensive (I got my DP-004 used a few months ago for something like $60), have multiple stereo line ins, have a set of knobs to monitor the mix and to actually mix the final file, and have a stereo mics that to my ears sound great. They also come with an SD card and connect directly to a computer through USB. I'd recommend those models rather than the ones designed for field recording - I've found mine to be great for recording ideas direct.

DP-006

Yes! Those desktop-style Tascams seem closer to what I'm looking for. I will investigate them for sure.

Thanks!! :)

I agree an interface/mic for your phone is convenient. But if you"re a iPhone user you never know if Apple is going to switch the connector. That situation may improve if they adopt USB-C all around.

I really like the zoom recorders. They keep them compact. Sound great. They have a full line from inexpensive to heavily featured. But even the lowly H1n does a great job.

For the price you should also checkout the Zoom Podtrak 4 $199.

And the TASCAM DP-006 $149

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thank all for the quick responses!

Yes, it looks like the Zoom H-series or Tascam DR-series could be my best bet so far. I also saw the M-Audio MicroTrack II, which has 1/4 line inputs - but on the other hand, the Zoom and Tascam devices have much better mics, and even though I'm not going to use mics for this particular project, once I have made the purchase I could find other uses, like recording reharsal and stuff - assuming that live music will be resurrected at some point....

I would avoid the iRig stuff, because it's not less expensive than Tascam or Zoom, and they don't inspire the same confidence (I have tried a couple of their keyboards and... oh, never mind).

The smartphone+USB mixer solution could be inexpensive and interesting, *if* I already had a small mixer with USB output, but no such luck... so I would have to buy a USB mixer in the first place... that wouldn't be too rational. :D

Keep those ideas coming! :)

Since you are open to possibilities I will mention that the ability to put the mics on the DR40 in AB or XY has been very useful for me often. I've recorded a singer/songwriter demo by spreading the mics out (AB) putting the Tascam back a couple of feet and turning it on it's side. The upper mic captured the vocals and the lower mic captured the instrument so it was easy to mix down to a very presentable demo. For larger ensembles flipping the mics inward to XY sounds great, like you are standing right there listening. The inputs will accept both microphones (XLR) or line in (1/4" TS or TRS).

There is a "safety feature" that allows you to record the same thing twice, once at the level you've set and also down -6 or -12 db - your choice. If somebody "blasts" the recording, it's made a safe backup that could be spliced in if needed. That is an optional feature, as is the ability to overdub a stereo track on top of the one you've already recorded. Within it's limits, it is a versatile, portable recording studio on it's own, with your favorite mics or any number of things.

I've found it handy to make samples too. We have an underground garage where I live, a large one. Late at night I've gone down there and recorded car doors slamming and other things, the echo/reverb is amazing.

Anywhere there is an interesting sound, you can make a sample - sort of like having a nice camera along but for noises.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

KuruPrionz - thanks for the heads-up on the DR-40, those features are fantastic although I don't know if I would ever use them.

Funny thing, I'm checking the used market, and I have found a Zoom H2n, Tascam DR-05x, Tascam DP-006 and M-Audio MicroTrack II - just one of each, and *all* for about the same price! (around 80 Euros)

At this point, I think I'll sleep on it... I have to take a decision within a couple of days anyway.

Thanks again to everybody. And of course, I'll welcome any new ideas. :)

The smartphone+USB mixer solution could be inexpensive and interesting, *if* I already had a small mixer with USB output, but no such luck...
If you only need to record a single stereo line level signal, you don't need the mixer, you can use the adapter I linked to, for example.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The smartphone+USB mixer solution could be inexpensive and interesting, *if* I already had a small mixer with USB output, but no such luck...
If you only need to record a single stereo line level signal, you don't need the mixer, you can use the adapter I linked to, for example.

Thanks Scott, I didn't get that. I'm afraid that my Android phone will only record in mp3, though - and I don't know about its A/D converters...

Unfortunately, it's mono only.

That's a general limitation of smartphones; the TRRS connector gives you two outputs and only one input.

So if you go for a phone-based solution you need something more like a USB audio interface that has some analog ins & outs and a digital connection to the phone, not just an adapter.

Personally I'd consider going for a handheld field recorder even if it means upping the budget a little. They just turn out to be useful for so many things--rehearsals, lessons, whatever.

A couple things I didn't think to check when I bought mine:

Boot time: my Zoom H4n took like 30 seconds to a minute between turning it on and it being ready to use. Not a deal-breaker I guess, usually I'm not in a hurry, but it's annoying.

Gain adjustment: After I lost the H4n I replaced it by an H1n and I found myself with more recordings that were ruined by the level being set wrong. I'm not exactly sure if it's that the knob was too easy to bump accidentally, or the preamps had a less useful range of gain, or the mics had less dynamic range, or what, but it just seemed harder to get right.

I use a Tascam LR-10 for that. Has line inputs and sounds great.

Can record to WAV, mechanical input level and vu meter.

only issue is that the screen is not lit.

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

This is not a particularly insightful comment, but the level of portable recording quality you can buy now for 100-150 dollars is nuts. I hadn't realized until I stumbled into the Tascam DP-004 last spring.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

If you're considering used, don't buy a Zoom H2. I've had one for years and found it useful and reliable but the line in is way too feeble- overloads/distorts with every normal line level I've plugged into it. I bought a custom attenuating 1/8" cable kludge that makes it usable, but for your intended use the H2 is uniquely unqualified.

Re a USB connection- is there a reason you wouldn't just pop the SD card into your laptop to access your audio files? I recently set my H2 up for my wife to use as an outboard USB mic for her laptop Zoom meetings, but otherwise not sure why you'd need USB.

I have a Tascam DR-05 that I love love love. You can use the built-in stereo mics, or plug in a line. Line levels are fully adjustable, and it takes micro SD cards. I use 4 GB cards and they will hold a LOT of music.

I recently used it to digitize a couple of record albums not available on digital and it did a great job of that. Very versatile, and not expensive. The DR-05x is currently on sale on Musicians Friend for $89.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

If you're considering used, don't buy a Zoom H2. I've had one for years and found it useful and reliable but the line in is way too feeble- overloads/distorts with every normal line level I've plugged into it. I bought a custom attenuating 1/8" cable kludge that makes it usable, but for your intended use the H2 is uniquely unqualified.

This is very useful info, thank you. I just wonder if the H2n (a more recent H2 update) is any better in this respect.

Re a USB connection- is there a reason you wouldn't just pop the SD card into your laptop to access your audio files? I recently set my H2 up for my wife to use as an outboard USB mic for her laptop Zoom meetings, but otherwise not sure why you'd need USB.

I could also get a SD/USB adapter to transfer the audio files directly to the desktop computer (I don't use the laptop for music). Btw the vast majority of devices that I've checked have USB.

I have a Zoom H2n, and have had no problem with running the phone output into my PC, nor problem feeding the PC output (which goes to amplified speakers) into the H2n. Just have to set the speaker/phone volume so it doesn't overload.

I use this primarily for speech, recording an online class that I present weekly. The level is a bit low to put directly on YT, but I finally figured out how to make VSDC amplify the track (has a variable setting, I chose 10db) and have good audio

Bought it primarily to record the physical class that I teach, experimented with it last week. There was enough audio, but a lot of bumps from where the little tripod is sitting on a not so solid table. I'm thinking an inch or two of foam material under the tripod might fix that. Then I could do the class once, have participant feedback, and post on YT after the physical class.

I can pop out the (32gb) card from the unit and put it in a reader on my notebook computer, but I usually just use the charging cable. As soon as I plug it into the USB on the computer, the menu asks if I want to use it as an audio interface, or as a card reader. Choose card reader, then transfer the file to the computer. Once I'm sure that the file is good, I wipe the memory card (or just erase the individual recording).

I don't know how much this help will be. I was looking at the H4n or H5n, but decided that the small size (and lower price) would do what I needed. I've got a very good Focusrite 18i8 that I can plug into either Windows or Mac for more serious recording, but the little Zoom is so much quicker to setup and easier to carry.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim