Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free Book Update Available

As a preface, I love the idea of being able to update a book, send off a new PDF that gets put on a server, and a week later, people are downloading the new version. That is SO COOL compared to conventional publishing. I'm truly shocked that the old-school publishers haven't figured this out yet.

I don't know if any of you have bought the book How to Record and Mix Great Guitar Sounds in Studio One, but I've updated it to incorporate the changes in Studio One 5. If you have the original book, you can download the updated book for FREE from your PreSonus account.

Anyone who buys the book going forward will receive the updated edition. The previous version will no longer be available, because the new version includes anything that was in the old version anyway.

I think I'm starting to "crack the code" on eBook publishing. The reason I abandoned print is because it takes too long to go through the process of printing and distributing a tech-oriented book, and the price has to reflect printing, paper, returns, shipping, etc. so you can't have reasonably priced books. With eBooks, I've now updated two of the books I did for PreSonus. One update was a true second edition with lots of new material, so owners of the previous version could buy it at half price. The guitar book is be more like a "point release" for software, so they get the book for free.

Unless conventional publishers get with the program, in a few years they'll be as irrelevant as pay phones.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't bought a physical book in years.

Having done a book through Amazon, it's ... interesting how "1982 Computer Shopper magazine" the software technology is. The hoops to jump through for formatting, to manage the look of the end result are amazingly archaic and glitch ridden.

Having said that - you and Bobby Owsinski are in some sort of Music Industry Publishing Olympiad! You need to do his podcast with a theme of you two just talking specifically about writing in the business, how it's changed, your processes now.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I haven't bought a physical book in years.

Having done a book through Amazon, it's ... interesting how "1982 Computer Shopper magazine" the software technology is. The hoops to jump through for formatting, to manage the look of the end result are amazingly archaic and glitch ridden.

I create all my books in Word and sell them as PDF files so people can print them out easily if they want. eBook preparation to cover all the available platforms is dumb, you can't have page numbers, you can't do text flows, you have to use specific fonts, etc. And then, you have to figure out how to rise from the noise regarding distribution.

My philosophy isn't cast as wide a net as possible and hope some people bite, but to cast a narrow net to the people most likely to buy. Seems to be working.

Having said that - you and Bobby Owsinski are in some sort of Music Industry Publishing Olympiad! You need to do his podcast with a theme of you two just talking specifically about writing in the business, how it's changed, your processes now.

I've done a podcast with Bobby, but I don't recall how much we talked about publishing .

The best thing by far about self-publishing is not having to deal with publishing companies.