Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the most memorable synth hooks?

Since theremin is a synth, you have to have Good Vibrations in your list.

Not a theremin.

It was named the "Tannerin" and was a simple single-oscillator synth played by sliding a contact along a resistive wire by pulling a string back and forth on a string that wound around the tuning knob. Built by a trombonist (if memory serves) named Tanner, who was part of the Beach Boys' orbit at the time.

Still counts, though. :-)

[Edit: read up on the thing; misremembered the control interface: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro-Theremin ]

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't shoot the messenger but it's instantly recognizable:

[video:youtube]

Based on my experience as a DJ probably the most memorable synth hook of this century. Everyone knows it - both young and old.

And responds to it. Still packs the floor.

Based on my experience as a DJ probably the most memorable synth hook of this century. Everyone knows it - both young and old.

Wow... I've never heard this! Maybe it's regional...? I mean, there's tons of popular stuff I've never heard, but usually, if something is huge, we eventually get a request for it, and then I'll know it. Not this, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

+1 -- For the general public, this is most memorable in recent times. For 20th century, I'd probably vote Jump.

- Missing Persons

Qualifier: OK, this may not be the most memorable synth lick, but way back in the day I was walking into the Country Club and Dale Bozzio was walking out, and she smiled at me. I've had a hardon for her ever since.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Wow... I've never heard this! Maybe it's regional...? I mean, there's tons of popular stuff I've never heard, but usually, if something is huge, we eventually get a request for it, and then I'll know it. Not this, though.

:roll:

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, everyone can't know everything (and you certainly do know a lot more than me about a lot of things), but the region for this song is like, every single setting in which a DJ (or band with a frontperson who can rap) is employed to entertain a crowd ever on Earth. Wedding, club, school dance, you name it, and yes, it packs the dance floor every time, because everyone knows it and can sing the hook and then go "In the club with my homies" before showing off their moves.

Donna Summers - I Feel Love 1977 - Giorgio Moroder changed dance music forever.

Lipps Inc. - Funky Town -

Devo - Whip It - Bass line hook

Personal favorites:

Nik Kershaw - I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

Nik Kershaw - Wild Horses -

Nik Kershaw - You Might -

Russ Ballard - Voices -

Bill Nelson - Empire of the Senses -

Strange Advance - Automatic Sighs -

Kraftwerk - Das Model (duh)

For Europe:

Liquido - Narcotic

Play the first five notes of the hook anywhere here in Europe, and people go crazy.

I don't think they made it across the pond, though.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I'd say these two, which have previously been mentioned. It doesn't mean they're necessarily the most creative, but a lot of younger people know them even (Millennials and Gen Z).

Europe - The Final Countdown

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

:roll:

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, everyone can't know everything (and you certainly do know a lot more than me about a lot of things), but the region for this song is like, every single setting in which a DJ (or band with a frontperson who can rap) is employed to entertain a crowd ever on Earth. Wedding, club, school dance, you name it, and yes, it packs the dance floor every time, because everyone knows it and can sing the hook and then go "In the club with my homies" before showing off their moves.

I instantly recognize that, and equally hate it lol. :facepalm:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Is it just me, or are a disproportionate number of these tunes from the '80s?

Grey

That is because of the forum membership, which I suspect trends well north of age 40. I think the only members here who keep up with mainstream pop music in the 21st century are those who are required to by their jobs - like Bobadeath.

Well, the 80's is also when synth was king.

It's king today. What little I've heard of today's pop music sounds synth-dominant. I mostly just hear it when I'm flipping through radio stations when driving out for a grocery run or other quick errand. When I'm home I've got too many other options for music listening.

I just can't think of memorable synth hooks from current (less than 5 year old) US pop music.