Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland WM-1 and 1D

Roland is doing wireless MIDI adapters over bluetooth. I know early on this was crap for low and consistent latency.

Possible newer Bluetooth spec and Roland have got this working? They say,

"Plug a WM-1 into a keyboard, drum machine, or other hardware with standard MIDI I/O to wirelessly communicate with MIDI music apps on an iOS device and Mac computer, even at the same time. Or connect more instruments and devices with additional WM-1 units or the wm-1 Wireless MIDI Dongle. In addition to MIDI note data, you can send MIDI sync for tempo, effects, LFOs, loops, and moreâall without connecting a single cable." $70

https://www.roland.com/us/products/wm-1/features/

33347_570.jpg

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluetooth has been phenomenal for MIDI I/O for years now, and it keeps getting better. Ableton Link loves Bluetooth, and it's amazing to have an entire network in perfect sync without a single cable dedicated to the task. Some folks swear they can feel the latency, but I am nowhere near as nimble as they are and I think it works fine.

Yamaha makes dongles like this as well, one for MIDI ports and one that works on USB controllers that don't have 5-pin. Both work well. My personal favorite is the Quicco Sound mi.1, which was the first out and still has the most stable performance of all the ones I've tried. CME has just released a couple of new models that supposedly have even better performance, including one that can plug into only one MIDI port if that's all you need.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have the Quicco Sound mi.1 which works perfectly and has the smallest footprint of the CME, Yamaha or Roland. The mi.1 are a couple of flat plugs over the 5-pins â virtually undetectable. I also bought the CME, which works no better.

I detect no latency with either brand when paired with my Mac, but my 2018 iPad is pressed to its limits while using the most CPU-intensive apps (NeoSoul Studio 2 & IK Hammond B-3X) which lock into an unusable buffer of 1024 when connected to Bluetooth. When connected physically via Korg PlugKey, I can access the lowest buffers on those apps.

Here for the gear.

What seems unique about the CME is that it can function MIDI-to-MIDI (e.g. you should be able to use it to wirelessly connect one keyboard to another, with no computer/iPad/etc. involved), I think it's the only one to support that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What seems unique about the CME is that it can function MIDI-to-MIDI (e.g. you should be able to use it to wirelessly connect one keyboard to another, with no computer/iPad/etc. involved), I think it's the only one to support that.

The new "mi.1 Cable" can do this.

Over to you Katsunori-san:

[video:youtube]

The original "mi.1" has also been updated to "mi.1 II", which has an even smaller footprint.

I'm not sure if this is available outside of Japan, however...

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

• 2 months later...