Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

musicradar having a greatest synth player poll

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No George Duke on the list?

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

The inclusion of Geddy Lee is amusing.

Sorry Josh, have to respectfully disagree with you. Being able to hold down bass lines with Taurus pedals, while playing leads, while switching back to electric bass in time is not something most of us can do, and Geddy did it to perfection on the biggest stages in the world for well over 40 years. His stellar musicianship aside, his use of the synth in the studio would have been considered pioneering, and his synth hooks defined many of their biggest hits..excuse the poor audio quality of this clip, but I think most of us have heard this one before:

[video:youtube]

How does one begin to gauge/grade something like that? Seriously... :idk:

dB

Agreed, especially since one of my favorite synth parts in a song is George Harrison"s playing in Here Comes the Sun.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

The inclusion of Geddy Lee is amusing.

Sorry Josh, have to respectfully disagree with you. Being able to hold down bass lines with pedals while playing leads, while switching back to electric bass is not something most can do, and Geddy did it to perfection on the biggest stages in the world, for over 40 years. His use of the synth is pretty amazing..excuse the poor audio quality of this clip:

[video:youtube]

Oh I don"t think the intention was to dismiss Geddy and Rush. Just that the synth playing isn"t what he"s most known for, and this is of course because he"s such a talented bass player and artists always get pigeon holed.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Agreed, that said, when I think of Rush, the first thing that comes to mind for me are the synth hooks, like in Subdivisions, or Tom Sawyer..,take those hooks away and the song is not the same...

Synths for me are never about virtuosity. In pop music they are the ultimate hook setter! i.e, Like in 'Here Comes the Sun...' maybe I should start a thread about the best synth hooks in pop music. No solos please! Haha ð

Huge Rush fan and Geddy Lee fan; but I too think his inclusion is a bit different then the rest. Yes, he was an amazing musician and composer, and he did all of that live. The shear 'choreography' of being able to work all those different parts with different parts of his body is inspiring to say the least...

But... if I remember correctly, he didn"t play many of the keys on the albums. I know he wrote a lot of them and recorded some, but they had a dear friend, I forget his name, who was a keyboardist who worked with geddy and often recorded many parts.

Don"t want to diminish Geddy"s talent and how well the keyboard likes served the songs, but he"s just incomparable in a list among greats like Zawinul, Jan Hammer, and Rick Wakeman.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Too pretentious! Even if you know enough of the artists to weigh it all in your mind, inevitable bias creeps in and pow, its just another popularity contest. Hiromi is largely known as a pianist, yet I've turned my head sideways at a couple of her smokin' NORD LEAD moments. Synths are just part of what some of the best players employ, so trying to pick a #1 barely even qualifies as a legitimate debate. Its like watching three drunken versions of "Spider-Man" have a fist fight at a comic book convention. I've seen George Duke, Keith Emerson, Rick Wright and Tony Banks live. How in de hell could I possibly compare those three, eh? :laugh::rimshot:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Larry Fast should be on the list. His Synergy albums were pretty cool as well as his work with Peter Gabriel, Nektar, Foreigner, and Hall and Oates. He was also brought in to help Yes on Tales from Topographic Oceans.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Ok, aside from my early jesting... ;)

As much as this is clearly focused on an older generation of players, I am a little surprised Cory Henry didn't make the cut. Yeah, he's most known as an organ player, but also probably his biggest viral moment is the Lingus solo... which also seemed to single-handedly make synth solos cool to the average listener again. :idk:

these polls are simply stupid in the way they are presented.

It should be "who is your favorite" and not "who is the best." This is what these things all boil down to in the long run.

But David, this is the US of A...we must make everything into sports.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman