Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog goes Dark

Moog goes Dark

Right! So, Moog Music has turned the Grandmother and Matriarch black. Similar to classic moog synths, micro Moog etc.. Maybe it"s just me, but I actually like the colors. They help liven the synths up! Also, I know that Bob Moog left Moog Music, when the company produced other synths. The Minimoog wasn"t black! The Realistic MG-1 was colorful as well as the Source.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's a completely subjective thing.

I like keyboards that have color (other than white ;) ).

I am NOT fan of multi-color boards like the Mother and Matriarch, etc... I can't explain it, but I almost have a visceral reaction when I look at them.

I really dig these new black ones.

Again, all subjective.

I like that they are presenting a choice.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Yeah, it's a completely subjective thing.

I like keyboards that have color (other than white ;) ).

I am NOT fan of multi-color boards like the Mother and Matriarch, etc... I can't explain it, but I almost have a visceral reaction when I look at them.

I really dig these new black ones.

Again, all subjective.

I like that they are presenting a choice.

I agree that the multi-color design on the moogs was off-putting. It looks cheesy and dated IMHO, and having not kept up on keyboards until recently I thought they were much older than they are.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

The idea behind the original color scheme was that for learners, the color coding made it easier to figure out patching at a glance, and it was a nod to the Norlin era of Moog, where synths did get a bit more colorful (MG-1, Opus 3, Liberation, Source). But a lot of people didn't like the colors, so Moog launched the Dark Editions to spread the appeal. Good marketing, no harm no foul to anyone. Our book will feature photos of them, Moog leaked the released to us a couple weeks early.

I am very tempted by the Matriarch, knowing what I know about it from the book, but I can't decide if I want to wait for a deal on the dark one or look for a colorful one being blown out now that the dark ones are available. :)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The idea behind the original color scheme was that for learners, the color coding made it easier to figure out patching at a glance, and it was a nod to the Norlin era of Moog, where synths did get a bit more colorful (MG-1, Opus 3, Liberation, Source). But a lot of people didn't like the colors, so Moog launched the Dark Editions to spread the appeal. Good marketing, no harm no foul to anyone. Our book will feature photos of them, Moog leaked the released to us a couple weeks early.

Book?

I take it this is different from the Patch And Tweak Moog Edition book?

And yeah, I'm in favor of anything Moog Music can do to maintain or increase its revenue. Seems like a cool company.

Hey look at that, Grey was right. Moog did go dark after all. :poke::D

Dern tootin'!

Actually, I don't mind color, but I don't care for the pastel colors they chose. I'd rather have something more...what's the word I'm looking for, saturation? chroma? hue?...anyway, something bolder. Like EscapeRocks, I have a negative visceral reaction to the neither-fish-nor-fowl colors. Under the circumstances, Lavender, in particular, I've never liked as a color. I think I'd go for the throw-back black if I were looking for that sort of instrument.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Lisa Bella Donna's promo piece (The Mothership II: Night Flight) sounds rather like an outtake from Oxygene. I think it's the first thing she's done that I actually like.

For an album that could easily have become dated, I find that Oxygene still works for me. I picked a used copy on CD a couple of years ago and listened to it for the first time in ages. I have it on vinyl, but hadn't played it since...the '80s, maybe?...but for $1, I couldn't turn the CD down. Yeah. It's still fun. I'm sure that there are arguments to be made about the sequencing or cheesy-sounding patches or whatever, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I still like it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Well, Guess, I"m the lone one here who likes the color ones!

Dude, I own an original color Grandmother! Personally, if this dark one was available when I was buying, I'm not sure which I would pick. I really like both schemes.

1452.jpg.02a26ea00538a45eb8c98c35e65955e0.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No problem, Paul. I just wanted you to know, is all. They're both great looking keyboards IMO and good for Moog for giving people options.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI