Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you use the same strings on all of your electric guitars?

RABid

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto on Nashville tuning in the studio. Flatpicking on Nashville tuning is interesting too. Descending runs all of a sudden go up.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Love Nashville tuning!

When I was a teenager (I'm 65), I was watching the Merv Griffin show and he had Chet Atkins with Paul Yandell backing him up.

Merv asked Paul about the unique sound of his guitar and Paul explained the Nashville tuning. I've had one or another Nashville tuned guitars laying around most of my life.

Current player is a Ibanez Gio Mikro adjusted for Nashville. Short scale and full intonation available, works very well with the pickups lowered. Photo attached.

I have a small acoustic guitar my brother built that needs some tweaking but sounds gorgeous in Nashville. Someday soon...

1411.thumb.jpg.d08875e41d559d87e64118ab9a456c27.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Never tried Nashville tuning here, looks interesting.

It is the octave strings of a 12 string guitar used on the lower 4 strings.

When you play in unison with a standard tuned guitar it sounds like a 12 string only somehow bigger and clearer.

Very easy to convert, the trick is intonation. Most acoustic guitars will get a bit out of tune sounding as you go up the neck.

Still, below the 5th fret it's magic.

It is the octave strings of a 12 string guitar used on the lower 4 strings.

When you play in unison with a standard tuned guitar it sounds like a 12 string only somehow bigger and clearer.

Very easy to convert, the trick is intonation. Most acoustic guitars will get a bit out of tune sounding as you go up the neck.

Still, below the 5th fret it's magic.

It is an amazing sound, and a relatively simple way to get it!

A quick 'n' easy, cheap way to get a little taste of part of the way that chords are re-voiced by Nashville Tuning, is to simply replace the 3rd/G-String with a lighter-gauge string like an 8, 9, or 10 and tune it up to G an octave higher; while this obviously doesn't replicate the full effect of Nashville tuning, it does make the highest note ringing out in most chords come from the note played on the 3rd/High-G String, instead of usually coming from the 1st/High-E String. Similar to the way that occurs with a full-on 12-String.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It"s a studio staple. It optimizes acoustic strumming tracks in a mix. The normal low strings are too much and don"t sit as well under a vocal track. Not sure when it became a thing. I learned about it in the 70s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It"s a studio staple. It optimizes acoustic strumming tracks in a mix. The normal life strings are too much and don"t sit as well under a vocal track. Not sure when it became a thing. I learned about it in the 70s.

Yes! Once you try it you will begin to recognize it on many records. It has never been a "fad" or passing style, it will be around forever. It just sounds great.

In addition to strumming, I've been practicing my finger picking on a Nashville tuned guitar. A fun challenge to try tracking unison with a six string.

I have a great 12 string - Rainsong WS3000. It doesn't have the same 3d sound as a normal and Nashville guitar panned out from the middle.

I also have a technique for "faux" Nashville tuning if you don't want to dedicate a guitar. It's not exactly the same sound, of course, but it can provide the same kind of vibe in the context of a song.

[video:youtube]

I do not use the same strings on my guitars. All are too different.

My Strat and Tele with single coil pickups are pretty sensitive to alloy of different brands. I found that pure nickel strings makes a Fender guitar sound like a Fender guitar. I tried D'Addario XLs on the Strat once, couldn't get them off the guitar fast enough. Yuk!

I used to use D'Addario XLs on my LP, switched to Ernie Ball Slinkys. XLs were a little too tinny - they were good for a long time, maybe the manufacturing process changed...? Humbucker pickups aren't as sensitive to alloys as single coils.

I usually like 46-09s on the electrics, except on the Tele I stuck with 42-09s because it sounds better. I have an Epiphone Genesis (my 1st guitar) strung with 52-13s for those times when a heavier rhythm is needed.

Acoustic guitars - my Martin 6-string sounds great with the Martin phosphor strings. Others don't sound as good. My 12-string Martin is strung with 9s, heavier gauges do not get that "chimey" sound.

Bass guitars - my Fender Jazz is strung with DR Sunbeams 105-45. Tried several brands and I liked DRs the best. Lo-Riders sounded too harsh on the Jazz bass. I don't remember what my fretless Jazz is strung with. I have a six string Alvarez bass strung with DR Hi-Beams, really good sounding strings for that bass..

Alternate question: do you use the same picks on all your guitars? I don't...

I mostly do use the same strings on electrics, nickel 9-42. I've tried heavier and lighter gauges, but those seem to work best, and I'm trying not to work my finger joints into arthritis any more than I have to.

I use a custom set of nickel strings on the lap steel I tune to C6 (C-E-G-A-C-E), because the 6th strings needs to be lighter to tune up to C. I use a 12-56 set of nickel strings for the one I tune like a dobro (G-B-D-G-B-D) or open E.

Acoustics need a bit heavier strings to sounds good, and I prefer an mellower sound, so I use bronze mediums or lights. I use steel or nickel on my resonators, because I want a cheaper, trashier sound from them.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Yes, I use the same picks on all of my guitars and have one in every case and an extra one in my wallet at all times. I have tried many different picks (including bone) and always come back to my main squeeze. I use the red serrated plastic Cool picks in 0.73

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

I don't either. I have a tub full of picks, all different shapes and sizes. They all sound different, a thin pick is great for vigorous strumming with a 12 string and a 2mm Dunlop Gator is great for being lead guitar live, I can go from a low volume cleanish tone to a ripping lead just by varying my picking technique with a heavy pick. With a lighter pick, I run out of "headroom" quickly.

Sometimes I prefer my fingers, fingerstyle guitar is another thing entirely. I try to keep to that for bass and nylon string and it sounds good on all of my guitars.

Your limitations shift when you change how you pick but so do your tones.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as strings, no. Currently on my Strat- Fender Original 150s 10-46, Godin Icon- Elixer 10-52, ESP LTD KH 602- Elixer 12-52, EPI ES-335- D'Addario XL 10-46. I use different picks depending on the guitar and situation.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Yes, I use the same picks on all of my guitars and have one in every case and an extra one in my wallet at all times. I have tried many different picks (including bone) and always come back to my main squeeze. I use the red serrated plastic Cool picks in 0.73

:cool:

I use the same picks on all of my guitars, I use Dunlop 44R.46 Nylon Standard, Cream, .46mm, starting a year or so back. Before that I used Fender Jazz picks light. I buy the Dunlops by the half gross, and throw a handful in each guitar case, plus I have a few in my wallet. I am still getting used to the Dunlops after using the Fender Jazz picks for over 50 years.

@ DBM, Great minds think alike! :cheers:

My Cool picks cost about a buck apiece but they never wear out! The 0.73 is probably much too thin for most players. I play mostly rhythm to back up my vocals and I like the way the thin picks glide over the 10-50's strings. I order my strings from Juststrings.com as I can get the strings I prefer and the singles I need to make up a custom set. The shipping ($6.95) can be an expensive nightmare if you just order one set LOL! But if you spread that $6.95 over 5 or more sets, it's not that bad. Just strings always throws in a packet of 5 or 6 picks with their logo on them. They are a bit firmer than my Cool picks but they do work very well. I don't really use them that often, but I throw a few in each case as some of my friends will show up and ask if anyone has a pick they can use when they lose or forget theirs, and I'll hand them out to whoever needs one LOL!

Having one in your wallet works great as a back up just in case you forget or lose yours too. It also comes in handy when you accidently wind up at a guitar store LOL! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

My Cool picks cost about a buck apiece but they never wear out! The 0.73 is probably much too thin for most players. :

I am using 46 mm picks, they are way thinner than I have been using, but for me relearning to use such lighter picks is part of my transition from the smaller and heavier gauge Fender Jazz picks . First I bought a half gross of some standard shaped heavier picks to replace the Fender jazz picks but I tried a half dozen of the 46 mm Dunlops when I ordered the heavier Dunlops and I took to the 46 mm ones immediately. After a few months of practice, I am getting used to the 46 mm very nicely. I just bought another half gross so that should last me for the rest of my playing life, the 46 mm picks do not wear out all that quickly.

@ DBM, I guess it is whatever you get used to and are comfortable with as far as pick thickness and size goes. Mine are pretty much the standard shape and size in some sort of long lasting plastic material. When it comes to the sound and tone you get out of your guitar strings, I think pick material makes a huge difference. Not sure if you remember we had a guy named Tuskbuffer, that made and sold picks out of tusk and buffalo bone. I tried a few but they were a little dull sounding for my ear so I stayed with my plastic picks. I get different sound and tone out of my strings using thicker picks which work well for lead work. Cool picks come in different sizes and colors. I use the red ones and have a few black ones somewhere that are a little thicker. I can never get used to thumb picks, so I stay with hybird style picking using a standard size pick between my thumb and fore finger and also use my other 3 fingers for a mock fingerpicking style. I have tried metal and plastic finger picks and can't get used to them either. Using a combo of pick and fingers, gives me most of the sound I want out of my strings. I use the same strings on all my guitars and now that we have been talking picks, I'm going to bring out my bag of tricks and try them all over again for tone and sound! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@Larryz. The weakest part of my playing is the pick technique. My left hand works much better than my right hand does. I would have to play at least 3 hours a day to get my picking technique to the point of presenting it in front of people. I was a bricklayer as you know, and my hands were stiff and the feeling in my hands was numb after a day of laying brick. It used to take me an hour of scales just to loosen up after a days work laying brick. When I played out, I had to be warmed up for several hours before each gig. It took me that long to get my picking to the point of present-ability. I play at my best after warming up to the point of picking very lightly. If I do not get to that point, my clams are much more frequent.

My hands still suffer from my bricklaying days. So I am still stiff for at least the whole warm up process. These days I do 15 minutes of scales, and fifteen minutes of chord work. Then I play to my backing tracks for an hour or so, I never do the chords to the songs, I play, or I sing. I don't do both at once. I used to do so back in the day when on surf trips out west with my kids. I used to bring my Ovation acoustics on road trips and some of those road trips lasted 8 months in San Diego County California. I wrote many of my songs in my camper van in Cardiff By The Sea at San Elijo State Beach or South Carlsbad State Beach in North San Diego County. So I had to practice both singing and playing back then. When I settled in here in Arizona I quit playing acoustic and concentrated on my electric lead work. I was hoping to go out and do weekend gigs when I retired, but when I found out how much the clubs paid the entertainment, I decided to forget playing out as a supplement to my income.

@ DBM, My longest road trip lasted 4 months and my buddy and I had a blast living on the road, playing guitars, working from town to town. I spent many a night on the beaches around Santa Cruz playing by the fire, drinking beer and howling at the moon with the sound of the surf rolling in every night. Lots of fun party gigs. These days I can play for about 3 hours but I'm about done playing out. My last gig was last week up in Tahoe with friends at an RV park. I usually try to play/practice at home for about an hour each night. I too have problems with my hands sometimes my fingers get sensitive even though my strings are all the same gauges and comfortably smooth. It's hell getting old. But I just think of Les Paul and Django, and keep playing pain or no pain LOL! :cheers:
Take care, Larryz

I too have problems with my hands sometimes my fingers get sensitive even though my strings are all the same gauges and comfortably smooth. It's hell getting old. But I just think of Les Paul and Django, and keep playing pain or no pain LOL! :cheers:

Old age is a real treat Larryz. It ain't for wimps that is for sure. The doctors have saved me from certain death several times in the past, The first time in 2006 & the last time in 2011. So I am living in bonus land. And actually I am getting more feel into my playing and less notes, and practicing inserting silences into the mix. I don't have to show off my 32nd :rawk: notes per measure skills anymore. I just need to play nice sounds. :cheers:

Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 on every guitar I have ever owned. I will consider 9-42 on my 25.5" scale next time around.

I run 10 13 18 26 38 50 GHS Rollerwound pure Nickel on all my guitars. I like a 10 on the 1st string for a little more volume and treble on the 1st and still bendable, an 18 wound 3rd string still bendable less tinny making any guitar sound sweeter , and a 50 on the 6th for a little more bass. The rollerwound squeak less than round wounds and a little more than flatwounds. They let the bass strings sing brighter with less dullness and thump than flatwounds. A good in-between wrap that is smooth and easy on the fingers. I toss the 1st and 2nd plain GHS strings and run Elixir "Anti Rust Plain Steel" as I have acidic hands and the alloy makes the strings last a long time. Even though Elixir makes great strings and I used to use them a lot, I prefer uncoated strings. Back in my youthful bending days, I ran 9-46's on my Strats. I mostly just do half-step bends these days. Now, even the Strats get the 10-50 treatment LOL!

I even run the Nickel strings on my two acoustics (which is a no no for the acoustic aficionados), but I like not having blackened fingers and less squeak, while running the same gauges, brand, etc., as my electrics. They have less volume unplugged, but plugged in (which is how I play my acoustics), they sound just fine. Let us know how you like the 9-42's! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

OK, it's a bass guitar but a bass guitar is a guitar so I'mma post it.

I have an early 80's Peavey Fury bass, with the tiny, pointy Peavey logo and "Handcrafted in the USA" on the headstock. It is a great bass, I love playing it.

I was using D'Addario nickel roundwounds but I mostly record and those zippy "slide your fingers up to the note" sounds were bugging me. I wanted to use my old standby - Rotosound Trubass, they are smooth but have more clarity than most flatwound strings. At the same time, I had enough Players Points with D'Addario to get a set of their ground-wound strings. Our bassist said he liked those pretty well so I went ahead and got the "free" strings.

Heavy guage - the low string is a 110 and this is a ground wound so unground would probably have been a 115 - HUGE. I put them on and tuned them to EADG. Really stiff to play. I tuned the bass down to C# F# B E - Magic!!!!

Now it's like a short scale bass with extra notes below. As soon as these get just a bit less clean (there is still a little sliding noise) I will love this bass (guitar).

I learned something new just by trying different strings.

I'll mention in passing that I've put heavy gauge strings on a 12 string a few times and tuned it down to B. I have an Ovation Pathfinder that I scrounged up that I am in the process of adapting to the tuning permanently. The low B needs the saddle back towards the end pin to intonate properly. That is a huge sound, deep and chimey at the same time, fun for open mic night since nobody else will sound like you. B is an easy key to transpose too, if you play a song in G on a standard tuned guitar you can just play it in C - easy peasy.

I'll mention in passing that I've put heavy gauge strings on a 12 string a few times and tuned it down to B. That is a huge sound, deep and chimey at the same time, fun for open mic night since nobody else will sound like you.

Baritone is a huge & rich range for the guitar. Leadbelly tuned his 12 string Stella down to C.

Scott Fraser

I'll mention in passing that I've put heavy gauge strings on a 12 string a few times and tuned it down to B. That is a huge sound, deep and chimey at the same time, fun for open mic night since nobody else will sound like you.

Baritone is a huge & rich range for the guitar. Leadbelly tuned his 12 string Stella down to C.

That is where I got the idea!!! Yes, I LOVE baritone guitar and having the octaves make things chimey is fantastic. The Ovation I am converting could use a slight neck reset but the aerospace construction makes that nearly impossible so I plan on solving that problem with the most ultra jumbo fretwire that All Parts sells, it is near twice as tall as Jascar Super Jumbo.

I'll probably level off the saddle and make mini saddles so I can intonate every string. I'm considering adding octave lower strings on the two high pairs. Traditionally they are tuned in unison but I want to try something a bit different.

+1 DBM, old age gets a little rough but it's better than the alternative. I know what it's like to be "living in the bonus land"... :thu:

Pushing 78 years old here amigo, I am also in the bonus land. Saved by the Doctors 2x. Modern medicine is amazing in many cases.

I'm right behind you Amigo, pushing 71 next January. I too was saved by Doctors at the age of 5. Then there was my time surviving the jungles of Viet Nam for a year living outside the wire at the age of 19. I feel blessed to be here in the bonus land with my friends and family and to have lived this long...hope we can keep hope alive! :thu:
Take care, Larryz