Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alas poor Yorick, I hardly knew ye - PX5S died

Best laid plans of mice and men.

Just as I was putting the finishing touches on my 'older keys new rig' rig, my trustworthy PX-5S followed Carolann into the light.

I had been having some scratchy sounds coming out of the audio outs. As much as I used it outside, I figured a good cleaning was needed. That was a few weeks ago. After cleaning and some de-oxit, everything was good.

Until this afternoon. Plugged it in and: no sound. Not even from the headphone outs. I ran thru every menu and every zone to make sure audio gen was on, local was not off, etc.

I reset the board to factory. Then reinstalled the latest firmware. Nothing. So I pulled the top panel and got out the multi meter. I was getting no continuity on some of the pcb traces. I think the boards may be 'blown'

Truth be told, this is no reflection on Casio at all.

The fact I absolutely beat the crap out of the board, taken it apart and reassembled numerous times, baked it in the sun in Texas summer gigs for almost 7 years now, I know I got my money"s worth

I"ve dropped it, had liquid spilled in it, and yet not once the the 'plastic' shell ever warp or break.

It was a good run and I wouldn"t hesitate to buy it again, albeit in an updated version ð (expression, touch screen).

In a bit I"m going to post how and with what I"m replacing it.

Side note, my 16 year old PX 350 that I gave to my brother years ago for his kids is still going strong.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Casio Previa keyboard I got in 2005 when I moved to NYC. It is a great "apartment" piano: onboard speakers, small footprint, decent key feel, reasonable piano sounds, headphone outs. I used that board every day for practice and gigged with it as well At one time I gave it away to a friend who said they wanted to learn to play. After a while it came back - completely functional! I still have it, and use it on small quick "jazz" gigs.

So I second what EscapeRocks says about the longevity and toughness of Casio pianos. And I recommend Casio DPs to anyone looking for a mid-priced decent keyboard.

Sorry to hear about your keyboard ER - enjoy your new one.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Agreed on 5S love. My right audio jack is failing, so I have moved over to a TRS Insert adapter in the headset output, and all is fine.

It really is the most beautiful sounding accompaniment axe I have ever owned.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Agreed on 5S love. My right audio jack is failing, so I have moved over to a TRS Insert adapter in the headset output, and all is fine.

It really is the most beautiful sounding accompaniment axe I have ever owned.

I concur.

Just be careful with the headphone out that you gain stage that before FOH :)

David

Just for giggles and grins, check all the visible solder joints. That unit probably uses lead free or low lead content solder which tends to crack or otherwise deteriorate at some point.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

Just for giggles and grins, check all the visible solder joints. That unit probably uses lead free or low lead content solder which tends to crack or otherwise deteriorate at some point.

Thanks. yeah I checked out most of them. They all actually look pretty good. I saw one that looked like a typical "cold solder" but there is continuity thru the solder connection.

David

Dragging gear around to events can be hazardous.

I got 6 years of easy money w/ my Physis K4 but noticed (only during editing/programming) faders bouncing from #8 to #9, and going from perform to view mode.

Can"t live w/o the K4 so I ordered spare parts for it and it"s spare since they"ve been discontinued, unless you want weighted action & sounds for 2k more.

I am way past using a different keyboard now. Spares & parts for me.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

A failing ground connection on the audio outputs can cause a major current surge when a cable is plugged in connecting with non-grounded equipment. I've had various technology parts blow up because of ground current through ungrounded switching supply filter capacitances. Might be worth checking is the output audio buffers have blown.

T

I've had my PX-5s for a few years now. I bought it used on eBay, so it only cost about half of retail. Great buy.

I've had to go inside a few times to fix a broken key, clean contacts, etc.

If you have some time, you might consider re-flowing the solder on contacts on the audio trace - especially those where larger components are soldered. SMT stuff usually doesn't crack, but connectors and heat sinks/transistors often succumb to vibration. (I'm sure you know all this)

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

My PX5s died too - just sitting in the closet for a couple of years. I recently pulled it out, and upon powering it up received a bunch of blinking blue lights with an error message on the display.

Ugh. I don't have much faith in Casio pianos at the moment.

My PX5s died too - just sitting in the closet for a couple of years. I recently pulled it out, and upon powering it up received a bunch of blinking blue lights with an error message on the display.

Ugh. I don't have much faith in Casio pianos at the moment.

If you have the blinking blue lights blue lights.

re install the firmware:

Go to Casio.com

The Select Support

Then near the bottom Choose Drivers and Downloads

Finally Choose Musical Instruments

You'll then see a list of instruments. FInd the PX-5S.

You want the update.bin file.

Copy to the root directory of a thumb drive.

with the PX-5S off, plug in the thumb drive to the PX-5S.

Power on the PX-5S.

It should automatically start updating/installing the firmware. DON"T TOUCH ANY BUTTONS until it's done.

Once it's done, turn off the PX-5S, remove thumb drive. The power on, and you should be good to go.

I always keep two thumb drives: One with the Firmware, and the other with all my stage setting, etc.. backups.

David