Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IK Multimedia Mixbox

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=mixbox&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=mixbox

Is this the best thing ever? The be-all end-all Mother of all Plugins?

Or, the infinite rabbit hole?

I am eligible for the $99 introductory offer. Part of me is tempted even though I have too many plugins already. Part of me wants to try and toss half of what I have already and move towards simplicity.

Will this become a trend, the ultimate Whole Sh*t-She-Bang in one overwhelming barrage from Waves, Native Instruments and others?

I am starting to consider the 4 track cassette goodie sitting in the closet.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably all anyone will ever really need, but until IK starts making gen-you-wine plug-in versions of famous vintage hardware, there will always be something missing for somebody who never records a vocal without an 1176 or some habit like that.

Hmmm... maybe people who have vintage gear habits should just own and use vintage gear? Or some of the newer "clones" of analog gear that IS also analog gear?

Some of those units get great reviews. I'd love to be able to spend $5k or so for a Manley or Tube Tech goodie!!!! Maybe if I win the lottery...

I'd rather have a great sounding room than anything else.

At the introductory price, this is about $1.41 per plug in plus 8 widgets to keep them in plus one more widget to keep them all in.

Getting spread pretty thin, if any of them sounded good (and many of them do) it is a bargain.

I've got quite a few of their plugins already but no real basis for comparison at this point. I don't compare things in that sense, I either like stuff or I don't.

I hugely prefer modern speakers to vintage stuff, part of the sound people were hearing back then was the playback. They simply did not have speakers like we can get now.

The one time I heard 2 Studer 24 tracks synced up and playing at 30ips it was so good that even the nasty monitors with 15" horn loaded woofers and horn tweeters crossed over way too low sounded excellent.

I would hate to mix on those speakers and I would probably hate to hear how the mixes translated.

Vintage gear through new speakers might not be all that and a bag of chips? Or maybe it is even more better than it ever was, that could happen too.

I don't know exactly what Sun Studios used to record the early Elvis stuff but it sounds pretty awesome and probably wasn't real high end gear.

I just realized I can use up to 30% "Jam Points" to pay for any software and I have $38 worth right now.

So I could get this MixBox thingie for right around $70. Hmmm...

Yeah, but unlike a piece of vintage gear, you couldn't sell it if you didn't like enough of it to keep. I dunno. $70 is a lot for functionality that you probably already have and is working fine for you. Is there anything unique in the MixBox assortment that really grabs your interest?

I just realized I can use up to 30% "Jam Points" to pay for any software and I have $38 worth right now.

So I could get this MixBox thingie for right around $70. Hmmm...

Yeah, but unlike a piece of vintage gear, you couldn't sell it if you didn't like enough of it to keep. I dunno. $70 is a lot for functionality that you probably already have and is working fine for you. Is there anything unique in the MixBox assortment that really grabs your interest?

A solid question! I just looked at the list of the 70 plugins and I have at least a few of them. There isn't anything that I "need" and not really anything that I want.

The lunchbox format is supposed to be handy but it's pretty rare that I use more than one or two plugins on any track. As I've mentioned above, I already have more plugins than I want or know what to do with.

I've organized my plugins in folders per their function but I am now thinking I will put my favorites - "the best of the best" in one folder called Favorites.

I can have every sound in the Universe times 10 as it stands but maybe I only want a few options for things like reverb, compression, EQ. If stuff works and is easy to use it gets to live.

Of the last few plugins I added I like the Eventide stuff the best. Micro-Pitch and Physion are unlike any other plugins I've used, sound great and the GUI makes sense to me.

I'm going to let Mix Box go, they'll sell a pile of them and other people will be happy.

There is a Peavey KB3 on craigslist up here for $100, probably take $85.

Price is right, has a mic in and a DI. Small, not sure about light - some of that Peavey stuff is hefty for it's size.

Worth keeping an eye on your local craigslist. Used gear can save a ton of money.