Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

T. Lavitz Still Plays...

Some may remember T. Lavitz putting his chops on display with the Dixie Dregs.

Well, he is still around and putting it down. Check out the following clips:

T. Lavitz clip 2

The clips also show that KBs are tools. Just a matter of putting them to work. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a badass. I was at a trade show in town about 15 years ago, trying out a board at one of the booths. Ensoniq? Some guy starts playing with me and a crowd began to gather. It was much fun for a minute or two until he decided to step on the gas and kick my ass. I could not hang. Still can't. What a badass.
--wmp

He's a great guy to talk to which I have done on a few occasions. He was always cool and open! Like a brother!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Having only seen T in the Dregs,. what's so funny to me about these clips--especially the second one--is how simply joyful it must feel to T to play a standard jazz blues and take a long solo, and comp a bit, and do all the regular things that people who don't play in a Steve Morse-led band get to do ;)

And I really like Steve Morse led bands, but to call him a micro-manager is a bit of an understatement.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The guy can play his a** off. That's why it is harder to accept when ultra-bad KB players do not really push solo careers.

With such great tools at our disposal, there is no reason that more KB players shouldn't be leaders.

I've heard and read the arguments about how KB players are stuck behind their instrument(s), looking like a....technician or whatever. :rolleyes:

Still, with adequate chops, a killer backing band and an image consultant, the sky is the limit. Especially if bass players can step out front nowadays. :eek:

I guess the reality is that even the baddest KB players are comfortable playing second fiddle. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Profd,

Prof thanks for these clips, it was good to hear and see him again. I dig T.

Funny you should say what you said, I don't know if I was reading into the moment but about 18 years ago I saw a Dregs reunion(?) show at the old Ritz ballroom in Manhatten and Morse just kept playing and playing and playing his freakin solo. I enjoy Morse's solos but it

was so obvious he was showboating that Lavitz started shaking his head! Now he could have been shaking his head because his shoes were too tight but somthing tells me that wasn't it!

I a likea how youa think in regards to KB bandleaders!

:cool:

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

What a badass. I was at a trade show in town about 15 years ago, trying out a board at one of the booths. Ensoniq? Some guy starts playing with me and a crowd began to gather. It was much fun for a minute or two until he decided to step on the gas and kick my ass. I could not hang. Still can't. What a badass.

The Dregs were Ensoniq endorsees back in the late 80's; I still have the "Off The Record" demo CD that they did that had 2 tunes and a band interview on it. I used to wonder why; now I know it was because this thread was coming up and it would be relevant. :thu:;)

When I saw a Dregs reunion date about 6 years ago, T was playing an older GEM board of some flavor, even for "analog" leads. Lavitz, of course, was great, but, frankly, to my ears, that keyboard sounded like ass. Quite a change from when I used to see the Dregs "back in the day" and his axes of choice--if I recall correctly--were a CP-80 and Prophet 5, and maybe some other stuff.

I think the Dregs was a tough band for those guys, not because of the difficulty of the material--obviously they were all up to that--but because of the very limited latitude that Morse allowed the players, except Rod Morganstein, who seemed to be the only one who was freelancing at all. Even the keyboard, violin, and bass solos seemed very composed, and quite often very beautiful.

What a melody-rich and contrapuntal band. That's what I loved about them.

Andy West got very tired of living in Steve's world, and I don't believe he's made any of the reunions.

When I saw a Dregs reunion date about 6 years ago, T was playing an older GEM board of some flavor, even for "analog" leads. Lavitz, of course, was great, but, frankly, to my ears, that keyboard sounded like ass.

It was probably the same GeneralMusic SK76 in one of the clips. :cool:

PD

Magpel,

I did a show with Rod M. playing with a local band here on LI at Westhampton beach theater a few years ago. He is an awesome drummer. TL has spoken to me about him also. It seems he is held in high regard. I didn't know Morse called the shots in the Dregs.

lb

When I saw a Dregs reunion date about 6 years ago, T was playing an older GEM board of some flavor, even for "analog" leads. Lavitz, of course, was great, but, frankly, to my ears, that keyboard sounded like ass. Quite a change from when I used to see the Dregs "back in the day" and his axes of choice--if I recall correctly--were a CP-80 and Prophet 5, and maybe some other stuff.

I think the Dregs was a tough band for those guys, not because of the difficulty of the material--obviously they were all up to that--but because of the very limited latitude that Morse allowed the players, except Rod Morganstein, who seemed to be the only one who was freelancing at all. Even the keyboard, violin, and bass solos seemed very composed, and quite often very beautiful.

What a melody-rich and contrapuntal band. That's what I loved about them.

Andy West got very tired of living in Steve's world, and I don't believe he's made any of the reunions.

Magpel,

I did a show with Rod M. playing with a local band here on LI at Westhampton beach theater a few years ago. He is an awesome drummer. TL has spoken to me about him also. It seems he is held in high regard. I didn't know Morse called the shots in the Dregs.

lb

Well, you've met 'em! I am certainly no expert on the inner workings of that band--they were just a group I was obsessed with as a teenager. My sense of it is that they had a very strong band identity and "togetherness factor," because Morse and West were childhood buddies, and the rest all met at the U of Miami (Lavitz was actually their third keyboardist).

I have no clue if Morse has a dictatorial personality. He seems like a nice guy. He's also a licensed commercial pilot! All I meant was that he really micro-composes that music. West wrote a tune on What If (their best album imo), and other than that it's ALLLLLLLLLLL Steve Morse--except for the horrendous lyrics on the two songs with vocals, "Crank It Up" and "Riding HIgh."

Morganstein seems like a great guy.

Oh, yeah, no one's mentioned yet that Lavitz is also a pretty respectable saxophone player!

It was probably the same GeneralMusic SK76 in one of the clips. :cool:

I was surprised and impressed by that Rhodes sound for a keyboard of that vintage. The synth sounds on the GEM are a little shy of the mark to me.

I too hope TL comes out from under SM's shadow. (I am basing this on interviews where he mentions all the things he has learned from Steve.) I think of him as a corollary to Lyle Mays. A great sideman who might just have a great solo voice.

Jerry

He didn't go into any of that I had a few casual conversations and shared a drink or two, that was it. I respect his playing and was much younger when I met him and a bit starstruck in those days.

I actually thought they all were involved in the production. I know there were some heavy feelings in that band when they split an re-united. I just didn't think Morse was 'The Leader' that's all. From my 'fan' perspective T. was the leader as far as my ears were concerned!

Thanks man!

Magpel,

lb

Well, you've met 'em! I am certainly no expert on the inner workings of that band--they were just a group I was obsessed with as a teenager. My sense of it is that they had a very strong band identity and "togetherness factor," because Morse and West were childhood buddies, and the rest all met at the U of Miami (Lavitz was actually their third keyboardist).

I have no clue if Morse has a dictatorial personality. He seems like a nice guy. He's also a licensed commercial pilot! All I meant was that he really micro-composes that music. West wrote a tune on What If (their best album imo), and other than that it's ALLLLLLLLLLL Steve Morse--except for the horrendous lyrics on the two songs with vocals, "Crank It Up" and "Riding HIgh."

Morganstein seems like a great guy.

Oh, yeah, no one's mentioned yet that Lavitz is also a pretty respectable saxophone player!

I'd imagine Steve Morse was the engine driving the Dixie Dregs. It was a great band because they were all excellent musos capable of fulfilling the vision.

In so many cases with ultra-bad musos, the "band" or "artist" defines the apex of their career. I believe that 'special' vehicle for T. Lavitz was the Dixie Dregs.

Otherwise, T. Lavitz, Liberty, Alan White and Pino Palladino could have put together a super-band yesterday. :laugh::cool:

PD

Here an excerpt from a T Lavitz interview regarding Steve Morse' influence in the Dregs. The rest of interview has some additional interesting infro. I particularly enjoyed the references to Rod Morgenstein and Bruce Hornsby.

http://vermontreview.tripod.com/Interviews/tlavitz.htm

VR: Do you find any similarities with the two bands that you are playing in Dixie Dregs and Jazz is Dead?

TL: It is funny, we are so different but the same in the one way it is good people and really good musicianship. With Jazz is Dead, it is learn the music and then jam. I tell people it is Grateful Dead but think Miles Davis. We probably do only 45 minutes of "music", but we play for two hours. There is 45 minutes of worked up part. The bulk of what that band does is jam because there are such good players, everyone listens and plays off each other. With the Dregs, it is mostly all orchestrated except for your little breaks , little solo improvisations. It is all note for note. It is all Steve Morse compositions. It is also fun because it is challenging to try to execute the licks and play his music. The similarities are just that they both have good players and you really have to concentrate each night.

I knew about Jazz is Dead but had no idea T. Lavitz worked with Widespread Panic.

It's great that a cat with his chops is a fan of the Jam Band scene too. :cool:

PD

I saw TL with the Dregs here in Denver years ago. They were opening for Dream Theater (Metropolis: 2000), and I was coming in the back of the Fillmore. There's a guy smoking a cigar out back in a yellow raincoat turned mostly away from me. I say, 'Hey buddy, do you know what time the Dregs go on?'

He turns to face me, and it's T. Lavitz! :eek:

Probably the best show I've ever seen (even being only a semi-prog-lover).

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Magpel, ( I apologize for the long post but it's worth it)_

so what happens to me tonight. My band is having it's first gig after a 2 1/2 month layoff because the leader had his appendix removed and complications. It is at a firehouse, upstairs. Bummer because I brought my KBR-3D, figuring on a 1st floor walk in but I have alot of help from 3 party guests.

So it's third set, and the bands been reconnecting on breaks and playing but they start turning the drum set around for a guest drummer. Different snare drum too. We have alot of sits in at times, that kind of scene. Party's a rock crowd, and he looks like a rock drummer to me. OK!

So where running through the set and where playing and I start saying to myself wow this guy's got Some chops. I remembered he was one of the guys helping me lug the KBR up 2 flights of stairs. Now Eileen usually only allows maybe 3 tunes for a sit in drummer, but we keep running through all sort of off-tangent grooves and feels and he's like a clock. Eileen lays out and listens.

40 min. of awesome drumming and diverse fun for us. I got into some latin 'montuno' ( I can never remember the real word for that latin piano rhythm.) with him and it felt locked, great, ok, the night is starting to shape up a bit more I'm thinking. It had been weird from my perspective for some reason, even now and you will see why.

So long extended grooves.... you get the picture.

It's a birthday party. alot of dancing!

So nights over & I'm packing up, and I look at him covered in sweat and say to myself (I should go over and tell him how good he was and ask him who he plays with but I was in a quit mood and decided not to. After our 4th set he comes up to me with a girl and tells me how much he enjoyed my playing and such and I thanked him. Didn't tell

Him how good he was.

I was had been stretching out alittle and blowing a bit 4th set and hit two songs nice and I could see him talking in the audience then.

So he's helping Eileen pack her drums and it's amazing how much exuberance he has and passes me packing up my stuff with her bass drum bag and gives me this big grin :D ,shining!

20 min. later....

So I'm talking to the band leader about tomorrows gig before leaving and he says this to me...

Man Rod Morgenstern was awesome wasn't he, he's one of the best in the world.....he teaches at Berklee and all. He's close friends with Jennifer (the woman throwing the party....)

I just tilted my and go WHAT!!!! :eek:

I'm sure glad I didn't say to him "Wow man your a great player, do you play with anybody regularly?" that had run through my mind!

Life is stranger than fiction, I can still see Lavitz raising his arms like Rod plays his cymbals years ago....He just the kind of player you have to love!

no bs!

'into the night we go we go, into the night we go! :freak:

W

You know I don't think it's so much that Morse gave him the latitude. He just plays like that! He has that motion! It think that was just understood when they (Dregs) got together that thats how the drums just were! I don't think it was exactly calculated! but?

• 11 years later...
Hi everybody,

I found it :

T LAVITZ "ROCK & BEYOND"

CLICK HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTVSVg7HRt4&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for this - so great to see and hear him. And he's being interviewed by Bob Doerschuk, one of the great Keyboard Magazine writers from back in the day.

I so miss him - we went to school in Miami back in the mid-70's - I first met him as a sax player. We remained friends through the years...Such a great musician and so sad to lose him way too early.

Jerry

Jerry... thanks for this... he was a great guy... spoke to him a number of times at various gigs and trade shows... was always great to talk to... every single time I meet him!

The Dregs were Ensoniq endorsees back in the late 80's; I still have the "Off The Record" demo CD that they did that had 2 tunes and a band interview on it. I used to wonder why; now I know it was because this thread was coming up and it would be relevant. :thu:;)

Yes, I remember meeting T and Steve at the Ensoniq factory - late 1980s or thereabouts. Two very nice guys.

Steve Coscia

Jerry... thanks for this... he was a great guy... spoke to him a number of times at various gigs and trade shows... was always great to talk to... every single time I meet him!

Sure, but I wasn't the one who found that DCI video - really enjoyed seeing T in his prime...

I have plenty of stories/memories of him/with him over the years. Happy to share any if there's interest. I wish Future hadn't killed off the Keyboard website, as my synth soloing column on him (with extra transcriptions) has gone the way of the web-dodo bird.

:grrr:

Jerry

I wish Future hadn't killed off the Keyboard website, as my synth soloing column on him (with extra transcriptions) has gone the way of the web-dodo bird.

I would bet everyone on this forum would agree with you on this. Heck, we are blessed just to have MPN up and running. Lost it once, but like the Phoenix ... :2thu:

:nopity:

I guess that makes brother Dave the Phoenix-wrangler?

:rimshot:

I wish Future hadn't killed off the Keyboard website, as my synth soloing column on him (with extra transcriptions) has gone the way of the web-dodo bird.

I would bet everyone on this forum would agree with you on this. Heck, we are blessed just to have MPN up and running. Lost it once, but like the Phoenix ... :2thu: