Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving an A100 • dB vs. Hammond

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The parts list from the upgrade:

Should be back tonight.

dB

Not a single tube? Extraordinary!!!!!

There's like, umpty bajillion tubes inside a Hammond (don't ask a guitar player how they know this...) - runs away....

The difference is that tubes in Hammond organs are not stressed like guitar amps. Tubes in Hammond organs can last a long time.

Should be back tonight.

dB

There's like, umpty bajillion tubes inside a Hammond (don't ask a guitar player how they know this...) - runs away....

The difference is that tubes in Hammond organs are not stressed like guitar amps. Tubes in Hammond organs can last a long time.

Thanks. Yes, I knew that. They are usually run at somewhat lower voltages and most keyboard players don't torture their tubes quite the way many guitarists do.

If you find all Hammond tubes in a Hammond or all Baldwin tubes in a Baldwin they may very well be the original tubes and still working.

Had a Hammond M1 I got at the thrift store for $60, it still worked and the tubes were ancient. Metal octal preamp tubes if I recall correctly.

A friend in Fresno has it now, be cool if it still works.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Should be back tonight.

dB

The 6AU6 mentioned is a preamp tube.

Correct!!! I need new glasses or an attention span or something...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The small foot switch is wired to the jack at the bottom left. It changes rotary speed.

The black box in the upper left has individual kill switches for the onboard sound system and Leslie feed, and a 1/4' line out with a volume pot. At the moment, it"s feeding my Line6 Spider guitar amp, which is being controlled by the bigger pedal.

This is beyond amazing. :love:

dB

1421.jpg.5ef9826cc6971eb980c6a2d2e471729b.jpg

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The small foot switch is wired to the jack at the bottom left. It changes rotary speed.

The black box in the upper left has individual kill switches for the onboard sound system and Leslie feed, and a 1/4' line out with a volume pot. At the moment, it"s feeding my Line6 Spider guitar amp, which is being controlled by the bigger pedal.

This is beyond amazing. :love:

dB

Audio and/or video examples please!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Quick and clumsy demo. Sorry - a bit awkward with one hand in a sling...but enough so you'll get the idea.

[video:youtube]

....and here's one where yiou can hear it more. Can't see what I'm doing with my feet, but you'll get the idea.

:w00t::rocker:

dB

Quick and clumsy demo. Sorry - a bit awkward with one hand in a sling...but enough so you'll get the idea.

:w00t::rocker:

dB

This is SO COOL. Bet like you could throw a little wah pedal action on that Line 6 too, sound like the Peddlers. :grin:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Wait 'til I get good at using it.

He did more too - he modded this pedal so I could plug guitars and basses through the Leslie....or, I can route the Hammond's 1/4" jack through fx pedals, then go through the preamp pedal to the Leslie...

...and get one more gain stage...:boing:

Hey, does anyone know the name or model of this pedal? All the graphics are worn off it - would love to see what it's supposed to look like. :idk:

dB

1422.thumb.jpg.dccd6ee8375e0c537e28e72723af9ebb.jpg

I have two of them. One is on craigslist now. Those 147 pedals are popular still.

How much? If it does work with a 45/47, I might be interested.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The more I mess with this, the more blown away I am. :pop::love:

I"ve never played an instrument like this in my life. Even without the fun tweaks, this is so much better than it was before in every way...and then there are those friggin" tweaks. Overdrive, slap delay and wah - got lost there for about an hour today.

I am thrilled beyond belief. The more I play with it and learn how to use it, the more my jaw drops. I cannot believe the sounds coming out of this rig.

Ken Rich rules. He actually managed to exceed my expectations...and based on his reputation, they were pretty high.

dB

I gotta do a better video...

Would also love to do a live Zoom thing - I'm sure there are more than a few of y'all that could teach me a thing or two about how to really use this beast.

Moe, I'm lookin' at you... :idea::poke:

dB

I am happy to facilitate said live Zoom thing just because I want to be a part of it.

Their recent updates included a 'high fidelity music mode' that leaves off their default data compression and dynamic compression. The difference on voices is night and day. Time to mic up that Leslie, dB!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Would also love to do a live Zoom thing - I'm sure there are more than a few of y'all that could teach me a thing or two about how to really use this beast.

At NAMM 2005 I stopped at the Hammond booth. The next thing I knew, Joey DeFrancesco started demoing their console organ. I happened to be right at the perfect position to watch his hands and drawbar technique. That was a valuable lesson and one of those times I wished I had a video recorder. That guy burns on Hammond.

The more I mess with this, the more blown away I am. :pop::love:

I"ve never played an instrument like this in my life. Even without the fun tweaks, this is so much better than it was before in every way...and then there are those friggin" tweaks. Overdrive, slap delay and wah - got lost there for about an hour today.

I am thrilled beyond belief. The more I play with it and learn how to use it, the more my jaw drops. I cannot believe the sounds coming out of this rig.

Ken Rich rules. He actually managed to exceed my expectations...and based on his reputation, they were pretty high.

dB

Dave, do I remember correctly that maybe Ken had done some work on that organ sometime prior to you?

At NAMM 2005 I stopped at the Hammond booth. The next thing I knew, Joey DeFrancesco started demoing their console organ. I happened to be right at the perfect position to watch his hands and drawbar technique. That was a valuable lesson and one of those times I wished I had a video recorder. That guy burns on Hammond.

He was at NAMM this January playing at the Viscount booth for the entire show. On the last day, after his last scheduled tune, Peter Erskine showed up. Everyone had started to leave and I happened to be right in front of the organ when he said he had to do one more tune with Peter this time.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI