Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Richie Kaye, Singing and Playing as a Soloist, Episode 5: FE

Richie Kaye

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool video Richie! The voodoo Gods are at work for me today as a buddy sent me an instructional video by a much younger Tommy Emmanuel

Towards the end he suggests playing what you sing using the lyrics and the melody of a song, in order to improve your leads and scale work...funny you should mention someone forgetting the words while playing an instrumental on the same day!

The clip is really cool and I didn't know Tommy was such a great country player on the ole Tele! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Man, I wish I could sing and play at the same time... Been trying, but I always get tripped up.

I am only able to sing or play in the BB King Tradition; if I sing Lucille stays silent, if Lucille sings, I stay silent. :cheers:

Gosh I hate singing. I do it if I have to. But .....

The man who taught me electric guitar as a kid made me sing. I hated it, but his theory was you had to relate note to pitch and you learned that by singing. He is probably the man most responsible for me being a musician. Before him I was pretty much a straight up classical pianist even though Dad played in bands in the 50s. He gave me the skills to play by hearing through wanking on guitar I learned to play and improvise on keys by using my ears and brain. Before Jerry I just played what was on the score.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Singing is my core musical strength. I have some talent with stringed instruments- cello, guitar, electric bass- but voice is where I shine,

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Man, I wish I could sing and play at the same time... Been trying, but I always get tripped up.

Singing is my core musical strength. I have some talent with stringed instruments- cello, guitar, electric bass- but voice is where I shine,

Keep trying Danny! I know you can do it. Richie has some great advice and tips in his videos on "Singing and Playing as a Soloist" and I can tell he is a pro. I get my enjoyment by using the guitar as my back up band and always keep the audience in mind even when there is none LOL!. Working on chords, arrangements, tempos, bass runs, chord leads, etc., can help you make new vocal discoveries when practicing with the guitar. It's not easy sometimes but I keep at it. [Pick] on an easy tune that your really like and then add more complex tunes as you progress. The main thing is to have fun with it... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

I've always avoided talking about this because it might sound crazy, but sometimes a song comes into my head and won't go away. I can play and sing them with no source. Songs I pick to learn I have to work at. Now the song in my head is the Emmylou Harris cover of Pancho and Lefty. I can't explain why.
Jenny S.

Hardest thing ever ..... playing and singing the bop bops in 'Don"t Be Cruel".

The Jordanaires didn"t play instruments.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've always avoided talking about this because it might sound crazy, but sometimes a song comes into my head and won't go away. I can play and sing them with no source. Songs I pick to learn I have to work at. Now the song in my head is the Emmylou Harris cover of Pancho and Lefty. I can't explain why.

I was eating dinner with my Mom (retired music teacher) last week and she commented, 'Do you know you"re chewing your ice in a rhythm?'

'Yes.' I responded, 'It"s in time with the music I"m listening to.'

She was borderline pissed- 'You"re listening to music at the table during the meal?' thinking I had EarPods in or something.

'Yes.' tapping my temple, 'In my head.' That got me the googly-eyed stare.

I swear I have a radio station in my cranium. I"m almost always hearing music, even when concentrating on other things, like taking a test. Currently- somewhat appropriately- it"s King"s X 'Over My Head'...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

That's a great version but all you gotta say is "Emmylou" and it's pretty much a given that it's going to be an excellent track. She chooses very well, songs, bands, producers, etc.

I got to see her once, it was the Wrecking Ball tour. Fantastic!!! I love Willie and Merle's version too.

Somehow, I can easily play guitar and sing on many things, some of them not "easy" except they are. Other times I can't get the strum and vocals to go together, drives me nuts.

I play some fairly complex fingerpicking songs and have no trouble singing them. Somehow "Marie's The Name" by Elvis Presley tosses me off the horse every time. I've gotten less worse at it but not solid yet. The drummer and bassist keep me in line so we do it anyway.

I can get a few backup vocals in while playing bass but not lead vocals. I am sort of in "maybe/maybe not world".

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

[quote=Dannyalcatraz

I swear I have a radio station in my cranium. I"m almost always hearing music, even when concentrating on other things, like taking a test. Currently- somewhat appropriately- it"s King"s X 'Over My Head'...

Ditto. And likewise, King's X "Over My Head" pops into my playlist, too. Similar to Marillion's "Between You & Me" - "Today, I heard music in the sky..."

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band