Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Older keys New Rig

Been having fun this week assembling a non computer based rig for drive to gigs. Easy and fast to setup

Pictured. MODX6 above YC61 above PX-5S

cQ4uGq.jpg

I"ll get some better pics that show it"s not as gangly or has as large a space between keys as it looks

The PX-5S is strictly in controller mode and controls the sounds on the MODX.

The YC61 can be controlled by the MODX, but is mostly just for playing it"s own stuffââmainly organ and some secondary synth parts

The MODX sends Program a change to the YC61

Standard MIDI cables and creative use of the deep menus on the YC facilitate everything.

The audio output of the YC goes to the audio input of the MODX (where I can add additional effect and EQ)

Audio out to my Radial Pro D2 and I"m good to go.

Combined, the three boards weigh

PX-5S. 25lbs

YC61. 15 lbs

MIDX6. 15 lbs

Total 54.9

I also got a set of those cool K&M stand trolleys

My Z-Stand fits perfectly. I can set up and roll out of the way.

I first used them at our big show a couple weeks ago.

The sun was still blazing right at the stage, so I was able to setup side stage in the shade, then roll the rig into position for sound check.

I have way too much fun with my rig designs :D

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice!

The PX5S and MODX is a nice pair (and in fact probably what I'll be using on my next gig).

I went with the MODX7 because I have a lot of gigs where I do LH bass, which I'd prefer to do on the MODX than on the 88 below for a variety of reasons.

I actually haven't MIDI'd them. For the sounds I need on the bottom, I can stick with what the Casio has. In fact, for some sounds, I think I actually prefer the Casio. But probably my main reason for not doing board-to-board integration is that I switch things around too much. If I programmed the Casio to integrate MODX sounds, I could be stuck if I subsequently choose to pair either the Casio or the MODX with some other board. So even the little I've done with integrating external sounds has only involved calling up sounds from a tablet or module.

Adding a true organ/synth focused board to my typical 88+rompler pair is something I think about more often than I actually do.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you could show a pic of the top of the PX with that paint job would be cool...I'd like to see how you overcame keeping the lettering visible with the dark paint.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Thanks guys.

The writing is not visible. I"m one of those odd people who remembers things, especially after using them for several years.

I have no issue editing or finding functions I need ð

David

minimalist here.

why can't the YC61 or MODX 'act ' as the midi master/controller ?

I would guess for the satisfaction of playing piano with a hammer action. At least that would be the reason for me...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

minimalist here.

I would guess for the satisfaction of playing piano with a hammer action. At least that would be the reason for me...

the post did say ''' easy and fast ''

if there are just a few piano solos ,, that might be enough to go simple with 2 boards , not 3

I am not the artist, here. exploring the priorities to arrive at. ''' easy and fast ''

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks guys.

The writing is not visible. I"m one of those odd people who remembers things, especially after using them for several years.

I have no issue editing or finding functions I need ð

Ah ok cool thanks. It does look nice in the darker livery!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

minimalist here.

Okay: The pianos in the MODX are excellent, especially when you take the time to really deep-menu dive and adjust all settings. I mainly use the Bosendorfer piano (free download from Yamaha) as my starting point.

Next, the purpose of this exercise was to make use of keys I already own. I"ve had the MODX6 for a long time.

Sure,I could buy a MODX8 to replace the PX5S, but it"s a lot of money and I really, really prefer the keybed on my PX5S

I bought the YC61 last month as I"ve been wanting a board with waterfall keys and good organs with draw bars, in addition to the other great sounds.

I still have my custom painted Roland VR-09. Fun board, good sounds. I used only once on my live rig.

It"s MIDI implementation is, to put it nicely, horrible.

On the MODX6, I make full use of the SuperKnob and motion parameters to achieve the sounds I need

The MODX also has some funky MIDI implantation but is easily overcome with creative use of Scenes

Fast and easy is a relative term and will vary from person to person.

For me, this is fast and easy. 3 lightweight boards in a rolling stand.

PX5S midi to MODX midi in

MODX midi out to YC61 Midi in

YC61 audio out to MODX audio in

MODX audio out to DI and FOH

3 short MIDI cables, one short pair of audio cables and 1 longer pair of audio cables

Basically 5 total cables (the audio are dual)

It basically what I"ve always had, except the YC61 replace the rack with Mac Mini and rack stand

This rig is also easily expandable within itself depending how crazy I want to get

I can incorporate the PX5S tones and its audio out to the YC61 audio in, and run a MIDI cable to PX5S from the YC61

Live set mode on the MODX6 controls all patch changes. Takes me two minutes to change set list order befor a show on the touch screen

Yes. This is still fast and easy to me

David

I am still trialling the PC4, but I like the idea and look of the MODX on top of the PX (which I already have) - cannot get them in Oz at the moment, no stock (probs COVID)

Killer rig. My challenge to you is to do this with only one or maybe two keyboards.

For a long time I"ve been concerned with the constant quest to try to get to one keyboard

My issue is I always have had to compromise something in the way I had to play and how my sounds were setup.

I have decided no more of that. With all the various and sundry boards and VST I own, I have decided to make use of what helps me play better with easier sound setups. In other words, the easier and less complicate the physical rig got, the more complicated the sound portion of the rig got.

This current 3 board setup is going to end up being MODX6 over PX5S with the YC61 by itself to the right. An 'L' shape setup. Playing around tonight I realized the small stand with YC61 takes up the same space as my small stand with Gatorworks table and computer rack.

Basically my stage footprint doesn"t change.

Just throwing some example: the 3rd board let me not of to cross fade some deeply layered sounds on the MODX.

Anyway. This is all the basis on how I"m approaching this now.

Our show is actually getting more technical as we will begin using click track to sync with our video and lights

For now I"m concentrating on the keys sound and performance using the tools I have

David

Last summer I took it all apart again and repainted it in this 'brushed oiled bronze' color.

I wish I had the skills to do those kinds of things!

the easier and less complicate the physical rig got, the more complicated the sound portion of the rig got.

Yes. One more reason I shy away from the common goal of doing everything in one keyboard (besides liking different actions, liking redundancy if there's a problem, liking having to make fewer compromises in the available sounds or the number of available keys to play them). If you're a multi-sound player (i.e. not typically just playing one sound at a time), the more you try to make one board do, the more time and energy you have to put in to setting it up to do everything you want.

This also relates to other posts I've made on the single-board topic... that if you really want to use a single board, I look for an architecture and set of controls that lets you easily treat the left and right halves of the keyboard separately, so you can play the one board almost as if it were two, being able to easily change the sound under each hand (and its volume and octave) without affecting what you're playing with the other. Not too many boards are really good at that.

More than 2 boards is even nicer, but there are diminishing returns (biggest benefit going from 1 to 2, not quite as much going from 2 to 3, less than that going from 3 to 4...). It is a nice luxury if you're up for the extra shleppage, setup time, and footprint (though I realize that compared to what you're coming from, that tradeoff is not there for you as much as it would be for many others).

nice thread. I always see optimizations.... Moved many times from setup.

Mainstage has many nice features!

Bottom:

I need some piano's: ballad AP, rock AP, pop AP, wurly, CP70, Rhodes, FM with strings and pad

Top board:

I need basic sound: strings, (pop)brass, Synth brass, Hammond Filtered SAW, lead, accordion,...

and some more complex splits for certain songs: 3 zones, 2 sounds per zone.

I use Mainstage also for backing-tracks with a few songs (stereo backing with mono click)

Most sounds I have are samples I made myself of collected from SF2 files (SFZ, SF2, WAVs, Kurzweil krz) and been used in Kontakt, sforzando, Motif, Kurzweils,...

Now I have a DMC-122 midi controller with mainstage running VB3 and Sforzando for most sounds and some logic instruments on a MBP-2015 i7/16GB and RME UCX interface.

This works and is stable. Everytime I update something it worries me, and I have to think about a good backup. Had some issues with updating a few times.

Every items failing, will be an issue live.

Your setup seems more stable over time and you have backups in case one board fails.

I would like to go for 2 light boards, to save setup time. The YC61 is only for the hammond I assume.

As I mainly use own samples, I need a board to load them into and have direct access to sounds, changing layers and levels.

My previous setup: Kurzweil Forte 7 + Kurzweil PC3K6. Pretty heavy.

possible light setups:

Kurweil route:

- PC4 + PC4-7 op top (checks all the boxes, except for hammond. It just good enough, as hammond is not the main sound i'm using)

- PC4-7 + PC4-7

- PC4-7 + PC4-6 (does not exist)

- PC4-7 + PC3K6

- Nord-stage 2 or 3 + MODX6 (overkill, stage is expensive, and modx piano's alone are great live, no acceptable hammond)

- Midi controller + MODX6 ( hammond issue) your nice setup!

- ????

I think Kurzweil has the best hammond in a workstation. I tried the Kronos, but the hammond was less and for some reason it does not fit into the mix as great as the kurzweil.

Depending on the reports of the quality of the keyboard, the PC4-7 seems the best choice for bottom board (I don't need fully weighted keys)

Top-board is not clear. I think the MODX6 handles everything except hammond (and loads samples)

a Kurzweil PC4-6 with upgraded KB3 would tick all the boxes.

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

I would like to go for 2 light boards, to save setup time...As I mainly use own samples, I need a board to load them into and have direct access to sounds, changing layers and levels.

How much sample loading space do you need? And do you need the full amount in both your upper and lower keyboards?

I think Kurzweil has the best hammond in a workstation. I tried the Kronos, but the hammond was less

I don't know the age of the Kronos you tried, but they did improve the organ along the way, see https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2561211/new-korg-kronos-cx-3-bonus-pack - though either Kronos or PC4 can have the organs improved by using an assignable out to send them to a Neo Ventiator. The other thing about the Kronos CX3 engine is that, like Kurzweil's, there are tons of parameters under the hood for you to tweak, if you're so inclined. (That said, since even the lightest current Kronos is 31.5 lbs, I don't know if fits into the basic criteria of being part of a rig of 2 light boards.)

I would like to go for 2 light boards, to save setup time...As I mainly use own samples, I need a board to load them into and have direct access to sounds, changing layers and levels.

How much sample loading space do you need? And do you need the full amount in both your upper and lower keyboards?

around 500MB for top, 1GB for bottom (I have 3 sampled pianos of around 250MB and some backing tracks)

I think Kurzweil has the best hammond in a workstation. I tried the Kronos, but the hammond was less

I don't know the age of the Kronos you tried, but they did improve the organ along the way, see https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2561211/new-korg-kronos-cx-3-bonus-pack - though either Kronos or PC4 can have the organs improved by using an assignable out to send them to a Neo Ventiator. The other thing about the Kronos CX3 engine is that, like Kurzweil's, there are tons of parameters under the hood for you to tweak, if you're so inclined. (That said, since even the lightest current Kronos is 31.5 lbs, I don't know if fits into the basic criteria of being part of a rig of 2 light boards.)

Had a Kronos, everything sounded a bit tinner than my experience with kurzweil. Also when you are used with the flexibilty and headroom of Kurzweil, you always find things that are limiting. So much layers available...

Just my experience and perhaps I'm just used to the sound of Kurzweil.

I would like the nice look of the Nord, but so much limitations. Electro would tick many boxes for top, but no pitch/modwheel and 3 sounds splits. Multi-layer sample is not so important for the top.

Thanks for the idea of the Kronos...

The search will continue

Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!

Are you ditching the Mac for gigs?

Or is this an alternative rig for certain gigs?

Alternative rig for certain gigs. Heck, the way it's setup, I could easily bring in the Mac and use the MODX or YC61 as the audio i/o.

Remember, this little foray is because I want to, not because I have to :)

Plus my band mates are always curios to see what my setup will be at the next show as it can change weekly... maybe it's my a.d.d.

David

Above a PC4-7, lightweight, with about ~500 mb+ sample memory, pitch/mod controls, more than 3-sound splits, cheaper than a Nord Stage 3, 61 keys enough... either MODX6 or Korg PA1000 . The Yamaha is lighter, cheaper, more capable overall (at least assuming you don't care about arranger features). Korg has some advantages over MODX, though... a drawbar engine (albeit not an very impressive one), aftertouch, tilt screen (better readability and/or access if it's top tier and you play seated, or if outdoors), TC Helicon vocal processor, buttons that serve as trigger pads, full sequencer, built-in speakers (of above average quality), and of course, the arranger functions. Interesting question as to which would better complement a PC4 for your purposes.

@erik_nie, if you're considering double Kurzweils, how about a PC4-7 with a 61-key controller driving it? Obviously no redundancy if the Kurzweil fails, and you don't benefit from a wider sound palette with a 100% Kurz rig, but controllers are light, and you only need to worry about one audio connection.

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, Mike, that could be a way to go too... or at that point, if you still wanted that backup redundancy, there are planty of boards you could use as a controller with also an "emergency" set of sounds of their own you could fall back on if need be. The Kurz is very flexible in the way it facilitates letting you use just about anything as a board to drive its own sounds, e.g. IIRC even allowing the external board to trigger splits/layers beyond that board's own ability to split and layer, and you should be able to send the externally driven sounds to the PC4's additional outputs if you specifically want to keep them separated from the sounds you're triggering from the Kurzweil's own keys. So then you could look at some really light and/or inexpensive 2nd boards, like Yamaha MX61 (where you can actually use its 16 buttons to switch among 16 MIDI transmission channels on the fly, which could be useful in this scenario), or Korg Kross 2 (which I think can do that as well, and is even lighter), or Roland VR09B (for alternate dedicated organ use if desired, and/or an easier to program VA synth), or Roland DS61 (probably the most capable in terms of its own split/layer functionality, for those occasions where you may actually need to use it for its own sounds... and using its 8 pads which are switchable between 1-8 and 9-16, I think that, too, could be used for fast switching among the 16 MIDI channels to send on).

Thanks for the remarks. I like to have full control of both boards, so having a midi controller connected is not really working for me.

We play many songs and I don't want full setups for all songs, just select a piano and add strings/pad on the fly.

Another way that might work:

Nord Electro 5D/6D 73 for pianos + strings/pad + organ

With Modx61 on top --> few samples + internal sounds.

I've been supporting the band with backingtracks for 10 years. Always taking care that that is working.

Now just play it using a simple mp3 player with backing left and click right. Could be my ipad that i use for score/chords.

possible light setups:

Kurweil route:

- PC4 + PC4-7 op top (checks all the boxes, except for hammond. It just good enough, as hammond is not the main sound i'm using..

Route the hammond (dry, i.e. no effects) to the aux out, then through a Ventilator and, voila, you have a decent hammond/leslie. I've gone that route on small, quick gigs.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I like to have full control of both boards, so having a midi controller connected is not really working for me.

We play many songs and I don't want full setups for all songs, just select a piano and add strings/pad on the fly.

That's the way I works as well. In fact I just posted about that at post #3062713 in the "swiss army knife" thread.

I like to have full control of both boards, so having a midi controller connected is not really working for me.

Another way that might work:

Nord Electro 5D/6D 73 for pianos + strings/pad + organ

With Modx61 on top --> few samples + internal sounds.

For a semi-weighted 73 on bottom which is above average for organ AND with the ability to load custom samples, besides Nord and Kurzweil PC4-7, another possibility is Dexibell J7 Combo. You can have up to 1.5 GB of sounds loaded at any time, which can be any combination of their sounds and your own custom samples (in soundfont format). Organ is not sample-based, so doesn't take up any of that space. The organ (even with its 2018 rotary improvement) still isn't as good as Nord IMO, but it's not bad, and it's cool that it has automated drawbars so they're always in the right place when you call up a preset or switch them from upper manual to lower manual if you have the board split that way (or are playing a manual from another board over MIDI). Originally, I didn't lke Dexibell's EPs at all, but with their later downloadable alternate EPs, I like them better than Nord's. They have also released some very improved acoustic pianos, but be aware that they are quite large... if you want to load just one of their APs but you want it to be one of their best ones, it can take about half of your 1.5 GB right there.

Related to that thread above, I also put together this chart of "all in one" boards which could also be of interest if you're looking for a semi-weighted board with organ engine to put put either below or above some other board.

Although MODX was not included on that chart (since it has no proper organ engine, though it cleverly comes closer than you might expect with its multipart "All 9 bars!" performance if you don't mind the sliders working backwards or having only 4 available at once or the polyphony/phasing issues that can come with sample based implementations), since you've mentioned MODX as a board you seem to like anyway, I'll also mention that while I originally thought the MODX7 action was pretty useless for piano, I was able to adjust the piano patch velocity curve so as to become quite playable for me. So for a lightweight pair, I would not rule out a MODX7 on bottom. I talked about that in more detail in post #3051770 in my thread about super lightweight pairs from earlier in the year.

Thanks for the thoughts AnotherScott....

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Electro 6D 73 / MODX6 combination.

Listened to so many youtube videos....

on the piano samples: I do not need the XL/big sets, as I play live and all the nuances will not be needed.... As long as they fit nicely in the mix.

Having pretty good hammond is nice, being it only on the lower board. The hammond demo's from the MODX6 are also no that bad.

No material for a full B3 set, but I think good enought

Modx6 seems to have nice allround sounds, most sounds I sampled from my CVP609, but that is almost a Tyros engine, so many sounds are already in the modx most probably.

MODX7 + MODX6 might be working also, is cheaper. But I'll miss out on the hammond.

And looks strange on stage. Although somewhat limited, the red one attracts me...

hmmmm though decisions....

for backing tracks, I'll just use my ipad with left click, right audio.

i made my own app in pythonista to display chords with a very quick interface. I'm adding playback of backing tracks into that app.

Tried forscore, but this works better in my workflow. No setlist....

I have all songs in the screen, click a song and the chords/jpg pops-up, another click goes back to initial screen.

It reads a folder from iCloud Drive with .txt files and .jpg. Easy to edit and very quick.

Now if there is a .mp3 file with the same name as the .txt of .jpg. a button appears where I can start the mp3.

Found out that the MODX6 has audio in and USB in via camera connection kit.

Quick first thoughts:

Got my Nord Stage 3. Great instrument: without manual I could easily add samples, organize programs. Much deeper than I expected.

I'm not a piano player, therefor i like the waterfall keys. Otherwise they might be a little small.

The bright eq switch is great in the mix!

Nice hands-on live instrument