Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question re: Casio PX-560

mcgoo

I'm thinking of recommending this to my daughter- she just got a gig leading worship for a church. It's a small church and they don't have monitors, so one of the things I thought would be good for her is that the keyboard has its own speakers. It looks from the manual that they won't automatically cut off when the Line Outs are used, but the manual (like most manuals) isn't completely clear. Can anyone directly verify that?

thanks,

greg

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. In fact, I actually don't know of ANY boards with line outs that automatically shut the speakers when you use those outs. (It's common with using headphone jacks, though.)

I'd be concerned about the speakers being loud enough for a church, though. Even just for solo playing, much less if she were going to play a song where the congregation would be expected to join in and sing. You say it's small, how small? How many people might be in attendance?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Oh, I didn't realize there was also a PA for the congregation to hear her, that should be fine then.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have the 560. It is surprisingly loud, and the piano cuts. However - it does have a plastic build so, cranking the volume can cause vibration noise. In spacious room, like a traditional church it will carry with a duet - singer, flute or violin. In a more boxy and carpeted room with lots of people like a restaurant or cocktail hour - it"s going to need a PA speaker. I use it with the SSv3 in stereo with some nice panning.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If I understand your question, I think it will work like you want. When they plug into the line outs to take to the house PA, the internal speakers will still sound. To cut them, you would have to plug in a headphone jack (or a pair of headphones), but if you don't, she will hear them regardless of the line outs.

When they plug into the line outs to take to the house PA, the internal speakers will still sound.

Yeah, that's what I was looking to verify, thanks. The manual explains that you can disable / enable the speakers via the touchscreen, but it didn't go into any other detail.

www.gmma.biz

When they plug into the line outs to take to the house PA, the internal speakers will still sound.

Yeah, that's what I was looking to verify, thanks. The manual explains that you can disable / enable the speakers via the board's touchscreen, but it didn't go into any other detail.

FWIW on my Casio CGP700, I can enable / disable both the board's internal and the stand's speakers via the touchscreen settings while continuing to use the 1/4" lines out for a PA or keyboard amp. From what I recall the 560's (and the 360's) touchscreen is very similar to the CGP700's. But my memory is not always reliable these days.

In order to disable the internal speakers on my old Casio PX330 I had to plug headphones or a dummy jack into the headphone input.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I own a PX-560. The first option in the system settings is a toggle for the internal speakers ON/OFF. Independent of the status of the headphones or the external audio/line out ports. The USB does not carry audio. Just bi-directional MIDI.

It's a nice system but the newer Privias PX-S3000, etc also have speakers. They are much lighter which may be

important to some folks that must lug it around.

If it's stationary I recommend the hardwood stand with the 3 pedal arrangement to avoid that damn sliding pedal problem with the

MIDI sustain pedal. Using the 3 pedal hardware frees up the aux pedal port for an expression pedal for the organ sounds.

I used a PX-S3000 for a church gig, 2019-2020. Its speakers had plenty of power - 8W x 2 (same as the PX-560), and I liked the action a lot; the sounds were above average to exceptional at that price point. There might've been an internal toggle for the speakers, can't recall though. But the speakers would stay on with the main outs connected; so for a quick fix I put an 1/8" adapter in one of the headphone jacks, which does defeat the speakers. Haven't played the PX-560, though I've heard very good things about it. It does have a knobbier interface - combined with the color touchscreen, vs. the almost entirely touch-based interface. A couple of players that subbed for me had a tough time starting up the keyboard, i.e. - getting to the Registrations I'd set up and figuring out the variable touchscreen interface. It is different, though I got it quickly.

The Roland RD-88 does have a front panel toggle for speaker on/off, and integrates much better as a MIDI/USB instrument - if that might be a future consideration. I'd also give it the edge for ROMpler tones and expandability. The pianos are of similar quality. I like Casio's Steinway-based samples a lot, but am a big fan of Roland's SN pianos and EPs. Both the RD and PX-S3000 have 1/8" input jacks for line-in monitoring; the PX-560 has LR 1/4" inputs for that. That could be useful for hearing a board monitor send, since the church system doesn't have monitors. The RD-88 has slightly less powerful speakers (6W x 2), though its front projection seems quite strong.

Since you're on the north end of Indy, you might be able to play all of these at Piano Solutions in Carmel. Last I checked they had a PX-S3000 on the floor, and I believe a PX-560 as well; might still have an RD-88 too. Also I just noticed that Piano Man Chuck has a YouTube comparison of the PX-560 and RD-88.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The RD-88 has slightly less powerful speakers (6W x 2), though its front projection seems quite strong.

I haven't played the RD88, but just as a reminder for those following, wattage in this context is pretty meaningless. Six watts from one company can be louder than far more from someone else. Variables include how efficient the speakers are, how the wattage was measured (itself subject to numerous variables), the design of the enclosure, how the speakers are aimed, equalization. Roland's FP2/FP4 at their 7 watts per channel was MUCH louder than the 8-watt Casio, 7-watt Kawai, and 6-watt Yamahas I've played, instead competitive with the 35 watt Dexibell and 30 watt Kurzweil, i.e. crossing the threshold of something I could actually do a duo cockatil gig with at a good sized wedding.

I have a PX-560 and the speakers sound very good. It takes two screen taps to disable the internal speakers, they do not cut off when the line outs are in use. Speaking of the screen, it is far easier to do things on the fly with the PX-560 versus the PX-S3000. The large color touch screen allows for simple and quick sound changes, layers and splits. Come up with something you like and it can be stored quickly by pressing two front panel buttons (Registration Memory). I really like the action but that is of course a personal taste. But if your daughter is used to playing on an acoustic piano, she will have no problem. I am very happy with the acoustic piano sounds as well as the Rhodes, Clavinet, etc. the PX-560 has a good amount of editability soundwise but the stock sounds should suffice nicely. There are a lot of good pads that can easily be layered with acoustic piano that work great in a church environment.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Speaking of the screen, it is far easier to do things on the fly with the PX-560 versus the PX-S3000. The large color touch screen allows for simple and quick sound changes, layers and splits. Come up with something you like and it can be stored quickly by pressing two front panel buttons (Registration Memory).

Yes, the PX560 has a great performance interface. Very similar to the MZ-X500, too. I hope they don't abandon it. I still have hopes for something more like a PX5S with that kind of interface. It's a shame that the PX560 didn't have at least some more MIDI functionality.

I am very happy with the acoustic piano sounds as well as the Rhodes, Clavinet, etc.

and there are some very nice additional EPs and other sounds at https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/40-privia-px-560/

Yes, the PX560 has a great performance interface. Very similar to the MZ-X500, too. I hope they don't abandon it. I still have hopes for something more like a PX5S with that kind of interface. It's a shame that the PX560 didn't have at least some more MIDI functionality.

Agreed. The PX-560 won't be confused as a MIDI controller. But I guess that's why the PX5S exists, though the lack of an expression pedal input is interesting. But there are ways around that. I know it's not realistic to hope for any changes to the OpSys at this point, but I would give up the sequencer functions to gain programming space for a good set of MIDI tools. That being said, I am still very happy in choosing the PX-560. I spent the better part of two and a half hours playing everything with 76-88 weighted keys with a wide price range at Sweetwater and left with the PX-560, and a Motion Sound KP-610S which sounds great as well.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

The Roland RD-88 does have a front panel toggle for speaker on/off, and integrates much better as a MIDI/USB instrument - if that might be a future consideration.

Funny you mention that. That's the one I first recommended, but Sweetwater and the local dealer her church has dealt with are both out of it. That's why I jumped to the Casio.

Since you're on the north end of Indy, you might be able to play all of these at Piano Solutions in Carmel. Last I checked they had a PX-S3000 on the floor, and I believe a PX-560 as well; might still have an RD-88 too. Also I just noticed that Piano Man Chuck has a YouTube comparison of the PX-560 and RD-88.
Thanks Allan! I may check them out at some point, but the kbd is for my daughter to play at her church & she's down in Texas.

www.gmma.biz

Thanks Allan! I may check them out at some point, but the kbd is for my daughter to play at her church & she's down in Texas.

I wasn't sure whether or not she was in the Indianapolis area. Those RD-88s are tough to find right now. I ended up with one from Piano Solutions, and basically took it sight unseen. I've dealt with Sweetwater for the most part, but they and most others I checked were well backordered. So if your recommendation comes down to the RD-88, and your daughter concurs, having one shipped from Carmel may be the way to go - if Piano Solutions still has stock. I've had the RD-88 for just under a month, so if you have questions PM or text me and we'll talk.

Otherwise the PX-560 would be an excellent choice too. I had a PX-350 for several years and liked it a lot, and Casio expanded upon that with the PX-360/560.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

AS is so right- the 5 watt speakers on the casiotone cts300 sounded lousy n weak, esp in comparison to the 5 watt speakers on the casio ctx700. Hard to tell from wattage figures, though its not all about how loud it gets, its also about how good it sounds.

Another board to consider is the new Kawai ES520. With 40 watts its going to project well. it'll prob b several months b4 theyre available. In my book, the keyboard action and speakers are far better than the others considered here

With the pxs3000 many people like the action, but get close to the fall board and its much harder to depress the key.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB