Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai ES520 / ES920. Have you heard?

These should fix the lack of response when playing softly in what was otherwise an excellent digital piano action:

• IMPROVED: Responsive Hammer III keyboard action with redesigned key switches
  • IMPROVED: Enhanced Touch Curve setting with 10 selectable touch presets

These should improve on the ES8's already great piano sounds and the audio quality overall:

• IMPROVED: Improved acoustic piano sounds and updated Virtual Technician parameters
  • NEW: Updated control panel with 4-band EQ faders
  • NEW: Motherboard developed in partnership with Onkyo for improved tonal clarity

If it sounds even close to the CA99 with headphones, I'll buy it on the default preset alone.

I like the increased power output and redesigned speaker enclosures but I think Kawai may still lag in this area. A Bluetooth subwoofer would help (of course that would require Bluetooth audio but that's another discussion).

The ES8 held up remarkably well in recent comparisons with much newer digitals. Thats why the ES920 is on my short list but I still have to get my hands on one.

IMO, regarding the "IMPROVED... redesigned key switches" is only a marketing BS to state they (hopefully) fixed a flaw that caused clicks and, occasionally, loud sound to light key presses. I understand not only the contacts but also the contact printed circuit assembly had to be redesigned. So, "we fixed the flawed key switches" was replaced with "redesigned key switches". I replaced the contact strips in my ES8 (BTW, this unit replaced one that developed the aforementioned clicks) to fix the clicks and loud sound episodes. The clicks came back after a couple of weeks, the loud sound episodes, fortunately, not (yet).

IMO, regarding the "IMPROVED... redesigned key switches" is only a marketing BS to state they (hopefully) fixed a flaw that caused clicks and, occasionally, loud sound to light key presses. I understand not only the contacts but also the contact printed circuit assembly had to be redesigned. So, "we fixed the flawed key switches" was replaced with "redesigned key switches". I replaced the contact strips in my ES8 (BTW, this unit replaced one that developed the aforementioned clicks) to fix the clicks and loud sound episodes. The clicks came back after a couple of weeks, the loud sound episodes, fortunately, not (yet).

You could be right.

However they choose to market it, here's to hoping they've come up with an improved design that minimizes those issues as it is/was a common problem on the ES8. (fingers crossed)

Hello folks,

Here's the extra features the ES-920 has over the ES-520: (Not including the different action and additional SK-5 piano)

IMPROVED: Responsive Hammer III keyboard action with redesigned key switches

IMPROVED: Improved acoustic piano sounds and updated Virtual Technician parameters

IMPROVED: Enhanced Touch Curve setting with 10 selectable touch presets

NEW: Electric Piano, Drawbar and Jazz Organ, Electric Bass, Harpsichord, and Strings sounds

NEW: Updated control panel with 4-band EQ faders

Progressive Harmonic Imaging (PHI) (ES-520 has Harmonic Imaging)

I'm not sure where you're taking that list from, however those are some of the improvements of the ES920 over the ES8, and not improvements of the ES920 over the ES520.

For example, the ES920 and ES520 both feature new EP, organ, bass, harpsichord, and strings sounds.

The ES920 uses the "Harmonic Imaging XL" (HI-XL) sound engine, while the ES520 uses the "Progressive Harmonic Imaging" (PHI) sound engine.

For a full side-by-side comparison of the two boards, please use the comparison tool on the Kawai Global site at the following URL:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/?c=36/

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Looks like the ES920 uses longer piano samples than the ES520.

Image2.jpg

Yes, this is one of the advantages of the HI-XL sound engine over PHI.

By the way, is that screenshot from the Kawai-Global.com site? The alignment is all over the place...which browser are you using, may I ask?

This is how that part of the page should look:

screenshot.png

Kind regards,

James

x

1420.thumb.png.93e12e5b5479435e841d0a87582d37fe.png

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Agreed. What I liked least about the ES8, I didn't purchase one, was that I could not play softly (tried several, new and used). The keyswitch just wouldn't switch at low velocity. Almost a showstopper for me. I'm just glad to hear the they fixed it however they frame it. And while the action is mechanically louder than the competition, it's so much quieter than my old Kurzweil that it's a huge improvement. Based on my experience with the ES8 and the new/improved/fixed stuff on the ES9, it makes my short list. Hope to play one soon.

Hello folks,

Here's the extra features the ES-920 has over the ES-520: (Not including the different action and additional SK-5 piano)

IMPROVED: Responsive Hammer III keyboard action with redesigned key switches

IMPROVED: Improved acoustic piano sounds and updated Virtual Technician parameters

IMPROVED: Enhanced Touch Curve setting with 10 selectable touch presets

NEW: Electric Piano, Drawbar and Jazz Organ, Electric Bass, Harpsichord, and Strings sounds

NEW: Updated control panel with 4-band EQ faders

Progressive Harmonic Imaging (PHI) (ES-520 has Harmonic Imaging)

I'm not sure where you're taking that list from, however those are some of the improvements of the ES920 over the ES8, and not improvements of the ES920 over the ES520.

For example, the ES920 and ES520 both feature new EP, organ, bass, harpsichord, and strings sounds.

The ES920 uses the "Harmonic Imaging XL" (HI-XL) sound engine, while the ES520 uses the "Progressive Harmonic Imaging" (PHI) sound engine.

For a full side-by-side comparison of the two boards, please use the comparison tool on the Kawai Global site at the following URL:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/?c=36/

Kind regards,

James

x

The "Improved and New" features were shown on the Kawai US site under the ES920 only, so based on that I had to assume that all of them applied to the ES920 only.

Thanks for the clarification.

For those or you still interested, Kawai James gave some answers over at PW to a long thread there:

Kawai James scoop on ES520/920

On my browser it's on the last page of 8.

So, being that the ES520 and 920 are based on the Kawai CA49 and CA59, it's getting clearer where this board came from. For starters, the ES520 uses a 3 sensor action that is an upgrade from what the ES110 used, one already found in the KDP110 digital home piano ($1,199). And the CA49 and ES520 were developed at the same time, both are brand new, both benefit from the Onkyo partnership and 2 x 20 watt speaker. However the CA49 (Concert Artist) uses the "Grand Feel Compact wooden-key action", includes 3 pedals, and weighs 128 pounds! No thanks! I'll take my portable slab please! And a price tag over a $1000 cheaper!

But it is good to know that the ES520/920 are based on more expensive console models, and while they were developed at the same time as the CA49/59, it was the more expensive console models that informed the design.

This has me really curious- many of the same design elements but different actions, wood vs plastic, and different markets. I'd be REALLY curious to know if the more expensive console models sell better than these cheaper portable slabs. Maybe some of you know this- is the home console market, all the way from the $1,000 Casio PX-870? with speakers in its stand, to $7-8,000 models, is that a larger market than those of us using synths, slab pianos, etc.?

Here's an excerpt from PW:

> Kawai James is responding to a comment, "IMHO there are no incredible benefits in upgrading from an ES110 to an ES520".

> "This is a strange comment. Compared to the ES110, the ES520 offers: a superior keyboard action, superior piano sounds, superior non-piano sounds, a larger number of sounds, more powerful amp/speaker system, larger (more intuitive) control panel, OLED display, Bluetooth Audio, Line In, USB to Host/USB to Device connectivity, GFP-3 pedal support, and PianoRemote app support."

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Maybe some of you know this- is the home console market, all the way from the $1,000 Casio PX-870? with speakers in its stand, to $7-8,000 models, is that a larger market than those of us using synths, slab pianos, etc.?

I don't know. But growing up, I saw lots of real pianos in people's living rooms. It was a different time. But it does make me think, there are a whole lot more people playing at home than there are gigging, and if the living room is where it's going to go, you probably want it to look nice. And as an aside, a market does not have to be larger for it to be more profitable, i.e. if the profit per unit is greater or if it's a market where there are fewer competitors or where your company has bigger market share.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The number of families that select a digital piano for their children over an acoustic due to the price and no need for tuning or maintenance is enormous. They select slabs with speakers and matching stand, pedal and music rest or if wealthier a console. If the kids stick with it eventually they get an acoustic - at least they imagine they will eventually. This market dwarfs gigging players by a staggering amount. As does the really cheap stuff.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

There is sound clip on Soundcloud for ES520's Rhodes sound. Trying to figure out who at Kawai dialed in the stereo vibrato effect. Sounds like they were drunk.

I assume the effect can be turned off. On my ES110 the Rhodes effects also spoil it. So I simply disabled them and saved it to a registration. It"s a good sounding Rhodes now. Further, the secret is to set the Rhodes patch touch to Heavy, somebody at Kawai set it so light that it is jumpy at the default touch. It barks and dings suddenly in an unpleasant manner otherwise.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 1 year later...

I had the chance to play an ES920 this past week at a music store. Having played the ES8 a few times in the past (which I really liked), I would say that the newly tweaked action feels slightly heavier and seems to have a more matte/textured playing surface than the original RHIII. I preferred the original personally as I thought it felt closer to what I like a piano to feel like, but that's subjective.

Sound-wise it's not hugely removed from the ES8 IMO. I still prefer the first EX Grand program over the rest, as I did with the ES8, but all the samples are quite nice as expected. The electric pianos are pretty good as well, particularly the first Rhodes sample. The other sounds are, as with the ES8, not as realistic (and I'm always surprised at the lack of pad sounds given this is somewhat of a stage piano). The electric organs seem to be pretty much unchanged (not great IMO). However, the bass patches are quite usable, and decidedly much better than those found in Korg and Kurzweil keyboards to date. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a live situation to cover for a bass player, similar to how I use my Yamaha bass patches on occasion.

I'm not sure that I heard the new improvements, but to be fair I haven't played the ES920 and ES8 side by side, and it's been over a year since I last laid hands on an ES8. The new user interface is different, but the addition of the four EQ sliders is very handy, as is the reduced weight. The built-in speakers sound similar to the previous ES8 model's speakers to my ear; still plenty of power.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've had my ES8 for 6 years now- the first time I played it I decided to order one- I was blown away by the action for a 48 pound piano. In particular I like the SK5 piano. I spoke to Kawai and what amazed me was the Rhodes was actually sampled in an employee's garage from what I remember (or perhaps brought to wherever to record).

I haven't heard the ES920 yet but am sure it is great as well- I think the reduced weight could make a difference in transporting it.

I am happy with my ES920 and it is my go-to for piano gigs as well as a lower tier under a Nord Stage 3 Compact for a piano weighted board. The action seems to be the best in its weight class. I am very happy with the woodiness of the Kawai sound for jazz and the Rhodes is very good at a level that certainly exceeds what you expect from any extra sounds and plays well.

It's in a plastic enclosure but still pretty durable and does have an external power supply by it's a line lump instead of a wall wart.

In a perfect world, I'd probably prefer a CP88 overall but I didn't have an additional $1,000 USD for this purchase and need, nor could I double the price into a Nord Piano/Nord Grand category without selling something else, and I actually prefer the Kawai RHIII action to those boards in the same weight class anyway. I would have no hesitation to recommend the ES920 over the portable pianos from Roland, Yamaha and Casio in that price class.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• 2 weeks later...
I had the chance to play an ES920 this past week at a music store. Having played the ES8 a few times in the past (which I really liked), I would say that the newly tweaked action feels slightly heavier and seems to have a more matte/textured playing surface than the original RHIII. I preferred the original personally as I thought it felt closer to what I like a piano to feel like, but that's subjective.

Sound-wise it's not hugely removed from the ES8 IMO. I still prefer the first EX Grand program over the rest, as I did with the ES8, but all the samples are quite nice as expected. The electric pianos are pretty good as well, particularly the first Rhodes sample. The other sounds are, as with the ES8, not as realistic (and I'm always surprised at the lack of pad sounds given this is somewhat of a stage piano).

I'm not sure that I heard the new improvements, but to be fair I haven't played the ES920 and ES8 side by side, and it's been over a year since I last laid hands on an ES8. The new user interface is different, but the addition of the four EQ sliders is very handy, as is the reduced weight. The built-in speakers sound similar to the previous ES8 model's speakers to my ear; still plenty of power.

MMM,

I've got both the ES110 and the ES920. The action on the ES110 is considerably lighter, which I much prefer, the expressiveness is fast and nible, just how I like it. The ES920 feels excellent, like a real grand piano, but the extra effort required is not to my liking even though I do find the action very acceptable/respectable.

Would love it if I could have the ES110 keybed with all the goodness the ES920 offers! No, I'm not willing to MIDI the two together. It's a tough choice, as I tend to be an 'inspired player', so the feel of the keybed is really important, but I'm not willing to give up the various upgrades, esp the aux/bluetooth in, and upgraded speakers.

My solution is to train myself on the ES920, which will make me more capable on a wider range of pianos, and develop more finger/hand strength. Will see if that works out, I have hand/wrist mobility/stretching issues, in the long run I may need the ES110 keybed if I am to continue playing piano!

While the speakers are vastly improved over the 110, I find the low end noticeably lacking, hooking up an 8" 2-way solves that.

Am always surprised when people cite the EX Grand as a favorite, it is so biting! I prefer the mellower pianos and upright.

Hard to imagine adding another 10 pounds to the weight, like the ES8! I have the Kawai case, which I believe is less than 10 pounds, and the combo of the two feels incredibly heavy to me.

For me the standout features on the ES920 is the absolute ease of recording, and the outstanding drum/bass/accompaniment patterns built-in, once again very easy to use, you can go just drums, or drums + bass, or drums + bass + accompaniment. As accompaniment systems go, the ease of use is refreshing. I had the Korg Pa1000, and while incredibly even mind-blowingly powerful, it was such a handful to learn and use.

I've had a few considerations to sell the ES920 for a Yamaha CP73 or Korg SV2 73 (don't have the budget for the 88's and could reduce the width a bit for the places I play). I ended up not pulling the trigger. It's a good time to sell an ES920 because Kawai has suspended production until at least July 2022 and there aren't any new ones available until late Q3 which is in the fall. It's very easy to sell but I don't think I would find a better action in the price and weight category it sells into.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Would love it if I could have the ES110 keybed with all the goodness the ES920 offers!

Although not entirely, I think possibly the ES520 comes awfully close to that...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Would love it if I could have the ES110 keybed with all the goodness the ES920 offers!

Although not entirely, I think possibly the ES520 comes awfully close to that...

True, the ES520 is essentially an upgraded version of the ES110, with 3 sensors and some modifications. It's also 5 pounds lighter! I have yet to see a comparison test between the ES110 and the 520. I've heard it's got a bit more weight to it, so it might not be that big of a difference to the ES920.

I've had a few considerations to sell the ES920 for a Yamaha CP73 or Korg SV2 73 (don't have the budget for the 88's and could reduce the width a bit for the places I play). I ended up not pulling the trigger. It's a good time to sell an ES920 because Kawai has suspended production until at least July 2022 and there aren't any new ones available until late Q3 which is in the fall. It's very easy to sell but I don't think I would find a better action in the price and weight category it sells into.

Jeff,

Sounds like you're mostly happy with your ES920. Other than the shorter length of those 73 note boards, what tempts you about them?

I'm pretty sure the 920 is in my future. A piano venue that I play upgraded to the MP11se (from a Roland KRK something or other) and I really like it, especially the clearness of the higher notes. Another player thinks that the Kawai thins out too much in the high range. I don't notice that much..wondering if anyone else with non-trashed ears does..but I can deal with a little thin-ness to have the clarity. I like the action also but slightly prefer the action of my Yamaha YC88. Definitely need the 920's speakers as I am doing much more solo/duo playing than full band.

RE the ES110 action, it's the only thing I don't like about it. Too light for me, for solo playing like Rhapsody In Blue or Maple Leaf Rag. Great for a stage piano although thanks to YC88 I rarely use it as such.

Randy -- I am tremendously happy with the ES920. It is expressive, playable and portable. All around winner.

The only thing that a CP, SV2, Nord Piano gives me at the expense of lesser actions is more sounds that I use and layering, and a more tactile UI without menu diving. I prefer metal and internal power supplies and better connectors when I have them.

The ES920 doesn't really have a lot of interactivity on dialing in effects without a menu system, but I get some nice mileage out of iPad tools, especially Neo Soul Keys Studio, among some others.

There are features I don't really utilize in the ES920 in the areas of recording WAV files and the built in rhythms and metronome type stuff -- but I love the action, playability, tone and weight for what it is.

The ES520 32lbs vs the ES110 at 26.5lbs.

I wonder if Kawai has any interest in a speaker-less slab between these two price wise. The case could be a bit more compact and they could focus on a few more controller functions in place of the speaker system. Potentially a very light, very playable, and reasonably priced gigging instrument.

The ES520 32lbs vs the ES110 at 26.5lbs.

I wonder if Kawai has any interest in a speaker-less slab between these two price wise. The case could be a bit more compact and they could focus on a few more controller functions in place of the speaker system. Potentially a very light, very playable, and reasonably priced gigging instrument.

A 73-key version of the MP7SE using the lighter action/chassis of the ES520 would be awfully nice...

Randy -- I am tremendously happy with the ES920. It is expressive, playable and portable. All around winner.

The only thing that a CP, SV2, Nord Piano gives me at the expense of lesser actions is more sounds that I use and layering, and a more tactile UI without menu diving. I prefer metal and internal power supplies and better connectors when I have them.

The ES920 doesn't really have a lot of interactivity on dialing in effects without a menu system, but I get some nice mileage out of iPad tools, especially Neo Soul Keys Studio, among some others.

There are features I don't really utilize in the ES920 in the areas of recording WAV files and the built in rhythms and metronome type stuff -- but I love the action, playability, tone and weight for what it is.

Jeff,

Yeah, that's a head scratcher for me, why Kawai didn't include more than 38 sounds in the ES920. By contrast, the MP7SE has a full complement of 256 sounds, so you know they have a library ready to go. It was probably them trying to differentiate these two boards. I would have gladly paid the extra $200 for the MP7SE but it weighs too much, no speakers, etc., but otherwise I prefer the stage piano orientation of the MP7SE. And having 4 zones to work with is ideal for patch creation, with the ES920 you've got full editing on 1 sound, and the 2d sound only has partial editing.

For my ideal keyboard I would love:

- the best of the MP7SE: number of sounds plus lots of hands-on controls, setup for 4 zones/sounds, more extensive recording, aftertouch, mod and pitch wheels, etc.

- the best of the ES920: lightweight (10 pounds less! I'm OK with the plastic chassis and external power supply), the speakers, BT audio

If they would make this board for $2,000, it would be very popular I'm sure!

Maybe our friend Kawai James can pass these musings on to the designers.

An ES110/520 action in a lightweight speaker-less slab with controller features and a nice variety of sounds from the MP7SE in 73 and 88k variants. Perhaps $1,199 to $1599 price range. This sounds like a winner with at least a few people.

There is a sound clip on Soundcloud for ES520's Rhodes sound. Trying to figure out who at Kawai dialed in the stereo vibrato effect. Sounds like they were drunk.

The same guy who did it on the ES110, I presume. I turned it OFF in my ES110 and I now have a functional clean tone Rhodes. I love the ES110 action response even though it's a bit too heavy, IMO.

And please don't ever take away my ES110 internal speakers. My ES110 weighs 26 lbs.

Well, my quote didn't age well. I'm sure I didn't have my ES520, when I was listening to sound clips and made that comment. IN fact, the 520 has excellent Rhodes sounds and the effects are a breeze to access and each effect has a classic analog version; love it! BTW, I purchased a Mojo61 because I loved the Rhodes sound so much and at the time I owned a ES110. I was willing, at the time, to schlep two boards but, once I got the ES520, I sold my Mojo61. If I yearn for a clone sound, I'll go iPad (the ES520 Leslie sim sucks.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Maybe our friend Kawai James can pass these musings on to the designers.

An ES110/520 action in a lightweight speaker-less slab with controller features and a nice variety of sounds from the MP7SE in 73 and 88k variants. Perhaps $1,199 to $1599 price range. This sounds like a winner with at least a few people.

Elmer,

Call us dreamers! I was hoping for an ES120. It's weight close to the same, at least under 30 pounds, better sound system (more powerful amp and better speakers, wouldn't necessarily make the board larger), an AUX IN and BT audio streaming, same keybed, twice as many sounds, a better/more extensive UI, all for $899 ($200 more than the ES110). There's definitely middleground between the ES110 and the ES520, esp if you're on a tight budget and want a super light board.

I'm tellin' ya Elmer, the ES120 would sell like hotcakes fresh off the griddle!

• Like 1

I'm trying out the ES920. At first I was a little disappointed because I was unrealistically expecting an MP11se (like the one I play at a local venue) with speakers, and the 920's action and build quality differs. After playing it for a while, I like it- smooth and fast and a little more substantial than that of my ES110, which I prefer for some things. I realize that would be different if I suffered from arthritus or hand fatigue or pain (I'm playing a 5 hour "poptail" solo piano shift tonight, my last number will be Iron Man). 

I also wasn't wowed by the speaker system, my old CP300 being the standard for that, as far as bass projection and power. But it's pretty sweet with a small sub. And it's plenty good enough on it's own, to save me from hauling in a separate amp on a nursing home gig or something. 

One aggravation- could anyone PLEASE tell me how to disable the cheesy auto-accompaniment? I just want drums only. So far I can't see how to achieve that and I need to spend time learning November Rain (ugh), rather than pouring through manuals. Thanks☺️