Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most desirable programmable analog synths?

Hey all, new to the forum and new, but slightly less so, to synths in general :wave:

By programmable I mean most if not all controller positions can be saved, loaded, and modified in real time via MIDI-CC (or CV/gate in some cases).

By desirable I mean... well clearly there's going to be a strong element of situational appropriateness and personal taste, but that being understood, I hope to gain an understanding of what opinions are out there :)

Two possible frontrunners, I imagine, are the MFB Dominion 1 and the Arturia MatrixBrute.

But I don't own, nor have I ever used either, so I'm basing that on reviews and videos I've read and watched. The fact of both of them having some modular capability influenced my decision, as synths that are both programmable and patchable seem to be decisively in the minority. I really wish I could put the MiniBrute 2S in contention but sadly it lacks all programmability (minus its sequencer I guess).

Interested in what others might think are the top synths in this category.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For mono synths, those two mentioned options are fine, also the Sequential Pro 3 might fit the bill (similar to the matrixbrute)

Poly options: Sequential Pro 6, ob6, probably others by Sequential. Roland System 8 is also very hands on. moog one, if money is no problem.

Can't think of other options at the moment, I am sure others will chime in.

For me, most desirable would be a good balance between immediacy (simple to use, one knob/switch per function), sound character, and preset storage/recall. However I'm not familiar with either the Dominion or Matrixbrute.

Based on what I've played with in person, I like the Prophet 6 and Mark's restored and customized Memorymoog. Korg Trident was an unexpected pleasure as well.

I am a big fan of the MatrixBrute, if you can live with a machine that is paraphonic at best and usually monophonic. I do wish it had a couple of the features that the new PolyBrute is boasting, but I'm not trading it in any time soon.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music