Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MAudio Keystation MkIII

Never owned this size, the previous. I have used smaller models, build is just ok, not stellar at this price. The USB connector sometimes can get loose with a lot of plug/unplug on others, but not always. Has 5pin MIDI on this model as backup either way.

https://www.m-audio.com/keystation-88-mk3

88k Semiweight action

Pitch and Mod Wheels

A fader and some buttons

USB and 5pin MIDI

9lbs

$229

Shipping with the Air Plugins that come with ProTools - not sure, might be part of the ProTools First MAudio Edition install.

⢠Velvet - Vintage Electric Piano Instrument

⢠Mini Grand - Acoustic Grand Piano

⢠Vacuum - Polyphonic Analogue Tube Synthesiser

⢠Boom - Vintage drum machine

⢠DB-33 - Tonewheel Organ Simulator

⢠Xpand!2 - Multitimbral All-In-One Workstation

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Expression pedal jack, too.

While I hate not having patch select buttons, there are 2-board setups where your entire sound set is determined by your "other" board (e.g. calling up a patch changes not just the sounds from its own keys, but from an attched second set of keys as well), so it could work there.

Also, though, its got key-repurposes for direct one-key selection of any of the 16 MIDI channels, that's really useful (compared to, for example, having to scroll though the 16 possibilities to get to the one you want, as you have to do to change channels on many boards). If your attached keyboard/module/iPhone/etc. has the up-to-16 main sounds you want this for assigned to channels x through y, you probably have a pretty quick way to access those sounds.

I wonder what the action compares to...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Expression pedal jack, too.

While I hate not having patch select buttons, there are 2-board setups where your entire sound set is determined by your "other" board (e.g. calling up a patch changes not just the sounds from its own keys, but from an attched second set of keys as well), so it could work there.

Also, though, its got key-repurposes for direct one-key selection of any of the 16 MIDI channels, that's really useful (compared to, for example, having to scroll though the 16 possibilities to get to the one you want, as you have to do to change channels on many boards). If your attached keyboard/module/iPhone/etc. has the up-to-16 main sounds you want this for assigned to channels x through y, you probably have a pretty quick way to access those sounds.

I wonder what the action compares to...

You know I have played what I believe this action is on the 61k model, assuming it"s the same. It is springy and a little noisy but the semi-weight and length of key does make it play better for jumping from piano to organ or synth and back.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Slightly OT but also ON topic:

The M-Audio Code 61, an older cousin of the Keystation MkIII, has the nicest touch of any keyboard I have ever played (although for the first 6 months I owned it, caused creepy system-wide MIDI crashes during fast riffs or aftertouch use). That keybed is aptly described as BUTTERY.

Is the M-Audio Keystation MkIII THAT keybed ? If so, that would be an amazing attribute of this new offering.

BTW, nobody - on any Keybed-related thread - has ever identified WHO manufactured the awesome M-Audio Code-61 keybed. Non-deal-breaker flaws of the Code-61: The aftertouch is a bit too responsive, AFAIK, there is no high-trigger; and the keys are not waterfall. You have to put a particle-board underneath the body of the Code-61, or it BENDS IN THE MIDDLE if you bear down.

I have the original WHITE model, and the MIDI crashes are gone.

KeyboardPartner sells a set of MIDI CC's and labels for the M-Audio Code-61, making it the a nearly-perfect, thrifty MIDI keyboard controller for the HX3.5 MIDI Expander (organ) module.

GOOD LUCK, M-Audio !

MIDI Rack-Man