Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone ever heard of this?

Taking a shot here, because I know there are a lot of computer savvy folks hereabouts....I've got an HP laptop running Windows 7. I can watch video on YouTube all day long and it's all good, but any time I try to watch it on any other site (vids embedded here, or on Facebook, or really anywhere but YouTube) after the video plays the computer slows to a complete crawl. Dialup conection would be light speed by comparison (if anything opens at all).....once I restart everything is fine, as long as I confine my watching of videos to YouTube and literally no other site. Never experienced anything like it. Thoughts? Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, try going into task manager to see if something is using up a lot of CPU or memory. Maybe the browser is an issue...how old is it? How much RAM does the computer have? Maybe the video is being cached in RAM, and the computer is needing to use the hard drive for virtual RAM swapping or something. Right now, Edge is taking up almost a GB because I have a lot of tabs open but I have 8 GB of memory so it's not a problem.

I recently added 8 GB of memory to a friend's old HP that had something like 2 GB, the difference was night and day. Or to be more accurate, moonless night, and bright sunny day. And as to Windows 7...yeah, it was great, and I resisted going to W10. But overall, W10 is a lot better.

Yeah - what Craig said. After you close out a video and it's running slowly, hit ALT-CNTRL-DEL and you'll get a menu among which Task Manager is a choice. Run that, and you should be able to see what's hogging all the resources.

Something is probably not shutting down properly after the video has run its course - Windows can be so bad about leaving processes just idling after a program is closed, taking up resources and doing nothing productive.

You can also close out programs and/or processes from within Task Manager. If you close out the big pig, the computer might come back to life without having to reboot.

Win 10 is pretty ok. It was not totally great earlier in its life, but it's been pretty smooth on my three machines for a good while now.

nat

I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro Retina that I experience a similar issue with sometimes. It's a 2.8GHz Intel core i7 with 16GB RAM. I've also noticed some sites' video's are slow to buffer while others like Youtube or Netflix etc just scream along no problem. Amazon Prime Video is pretty good too but I notice getting in to the program and getting going with a film is just a tad slower than Netflix. Once running it's fine. But yes.....definitely some sites are problematic. So it could be a website thing if all the advice given already does not pan out.....ie you have a fast, current computer with enough memory etc. I wonder if it could also be a cookie thing or spyware/malware getting in there and screwing things up a little? Maybe the security for these types of things is better at some sites than others. Youtube probably has top notch protection.

But then again........I have no idea whatsoever how that stuff all works-hacking and yada yada.

I just wanted to throw something out there to try forget, even just for a few minutes........that I just stepped on the jack plug that was plugged in to my 335 guitar and it broke the face of the guitar at the output jack. The wood is broken. So bummed!! It could have been a lot worse but I'm still assuming it will be a tricky repair and it will never look the same. Oh well.......I guess I'm not playing it for looks. AAAAaaargh!!! :laugh:

I just wanted to throw something out there to try forget, even just for a few minutes........that I just stepped on the jack plug that was plugged in to my 335 guitar and it broke the face of the guitar at the output jack. The wood is broken. So bummed!! It could have been a lot worse but I'm still assuming it will be a tricky repair and it will never look the same. Oh well.......I guess I'm not playing it for looks. AAAAaaargh!!! :laugh:

Gibson Repair and Restoration did a GREAT job with two of my guitars - restoring a Ric 12-string to where it looked new (despite years of touring with it back in the 60s), and fixing a crack on a 335. Given that it's a 335, I think that would be the logical choice, although they do fix guitars other than Gibson.

OK....this may or may not be the trick, but I notice after my computer gets done booting up I get an alert at the bottom of the screen asking me if I want to upgrade Adobe. I usually just close it and open Chrome. This morning when the computer bogged down I went into Task Manager and under processes I noticed Adobe was running. I ended the process and went back into Chrome, and so far (all day) Chrome has been running snappy as all get out. I guess we'll see, but I may have bumped into the solution......