Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first SG, I think

CEB

I picked this up. It"s an Epi. It"s different. Pickups sound good but noisier than my other P90s. My wife thinks it"s ugly. It"s a porous worn finish. I think it will be great on outdoor summer stuff. Tuning is very stable. The tuners look like old Klusons but they are Epis. The neck has a lot of flex. I'm embracing that and it can add a sort of pitch modulation effect by just moving the guitar. It was a cheaper guitar. String tension with 10s feel stiff. The break angle on the saddle is pretty sharp compared to my other TOM style guitars. I"m out of shape. I may put 9-42 on it.

UcXCywM.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just polished the frets, lower the bridge a hair and raised the tailpiece decreasing the break angle. The thing plays very easy. Need to adjust the intonation on the G and B strings after dinner.

The Green Weenie. ð

Still could use some shielding and Schaller strap lock buttons if I"m going to take it out.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've set up many SGs over the years. Great playing guitars with full access to the fretboard. Nice and light.

I like them but somehow they are not for me. The Epi with the glued on neck is a nice guitar.

My first SG was one of the 2011 (I think...) Gibson line of Melody Makers, they also made an Explorer and Les Paul shapes.

One hot humbucker in the bridge, the wraparound bridge/tailpiece, one volume control. It played great and sounded cool.

At 6'3" plus it looked tiny and weird when I played it. A bit headstock heavy, I would have gotten used to that. Almost all commercial guitars have smaller necks than I prefer or rather, I have large hands and prefer a much stouter neck. Part of my attraction to Fender style guitar, I can get fat necks for them.

I am sure it has a happy new home now, an ebayer bought it a few years ago.

Deep in the bowels of my closet there is an early single cutaway D model Gibson Melody Maker that has been horribly boogered but could be a great FrankenGibby.

One of these days...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@Kuru, I once had a 2002 Gibson Faded SG which I bought new in 2003, it was hands down the finest instrument I ever owned. Most of the time I have to do fret filing, or send it off to a luthier for neck straightening, when I bought guitars from Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Ephiphone.

That Faded SG was perfect when I took it out of the box, and it stayed perfect until I sold it (The only guitar I ever owned that I got more money for than I paid new). I had another SG a late 60's model that would not stay in tune no matter what I did with it. The faded however had a rock solid neck that stayed in tune magnificently.

1412.jpg.e30d28433a6a6dff1bde4eab384faed0.jpg

J

The Green Weenie. ð

How about The Green Monster, name it after Art Arfons Dragster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Monster_(automobile) The guitar looks racy enough....... :cheers:

Or steal a Fleetwood Mac-ism and call it the Green Manalishi...or, just call it Peter Green...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

String tension with 10s feel stiff. The break angle on the saddle is pretty sharp compared to my other TOM style guitars. I"m out of shape. I may put 9-42 on it.

...lower the bridge a hair and raised the tailpiece decreasing the break angle. The thing plays very easy.

Try the "top-wrap" approach- lower the tailpiece as far as it will go, all the way down, studs tightened down, tailpiece snug to the bushings; insert the strings from the front, bridge-side, wrap them over the top of the tailpiece and over the bridge-saddles.

Depending to a degree on the guitar's neck-angle (see what I did there? ;) ), this usually yields a shallower break-angle and a more forgiving feel, while tightly coupling the tailpiece, hardware, and strings to the body of the guitar for subtly but noticeably improved tone and sustain. I love the feel of that set-up with 11's on a Les Paul or similar enough axe!

Still could use some shielding and Schaller strap lock buttons if I"m going to take it out.

Consider the 'Flush Mount' StrapLoks from Dunlop- countersink and flush-mount the tail StrapLok, but add the second one to the side of the bass-bout 'horn' somewhat the way it is on a Strat, maybe even without countersinking it (if possible) and not flush-mounted, sitting atop the surface, to extend the 'reach' and leverage of the straps hold of the guitar and make it less 'neck-heavy' by shifting its center of gravity a little.

Dunlop StrapLoks, Flush Mount, Nickel

This will also make the guitar sit better in playing position, seated or standing, instead of tilting forward. (I hate the way that does that when the strap-button is mounted behind the neck-heel!)

(Duane Allman's SG, said to be the one used on "Statesboro Blues" on the Live At Fillmore East recorded performance)

duane-allman-gibson-sg-graham-nash-martin-d-45-sell-heritage-auctions-3.jpeg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I second what Caevan said about top wrapping the strings over the top of the tailpiece. I did that to my Flying V, and I've been very happy with the results. Having the tailpiece all the way down seems to seems to increase sustain, and I would think puts less strain on the wood at the tailpiece.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

(I hate the way that does that when the strap-button is mounted behind the neck-heel!)

On my old 60's SG I took the neck heel straplock and put it on the tip of the upper cutaway point. That helped it sit better when standing. It was way better balanced. I didn't want to do that with the 02 Faded SG, as I wanted to keep it stock for if and when I sold it. I actually got more for that Faded SG than what I paid for it (not much) but it was nice to make a profit for once....

The headstock heavy dive mentioned by DBM, Caevan and Kuru is the only thing I didn't care for when my brother brought his new Gibson SG over for me to check out. Other than that, it played and sounded beautiful. I would relocate the strap holder on the tail or install a second one. My Taylor T5 came stock with two strap holders on the tail end so you can choose the angle that you like. I had a Fender hollow body Tele acoustic that had the same neck dive with a fiberglass body. It was easy to re-drill the strap holder on the front bout and re-angle the guitar. Filled and painted the black drill hole and you couldn't really tell it had ever been done. I told my buddy about it when he bought the guitar though...I could never get used to having to hold the neck up when playing a neck heavy diving guitar while standing up. I have been sitting and playing without a strap for quite a few years now, so a neck dive would not bother me as much these days LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz