Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learn a DAW in Four Hours!

Caught a post over on the Cakewalk forums where someone posted that he'd "screwed around" with it for four hours, says he hates it, the user interface is incomprehensive, and thought it was worth creating a post about how he hated how un-user-friendly it is. Mind you, this is free software...

So this got me thinking about two things.

If someone bought a guitar and screwed around with it for four hours, would they have the expectation of being a good guitarist?

Would it in fact be possible to create a DAW where you could be recording music in a satisfying way by screwing around with it for four hours?

I don't think either one is possible, but that's just my opinion.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course....neither is remotely possible. As for Pro Tools.......I have had it since waaaaaaaaay back on a DIGI 001 and I'm still learning new stuff. Not that I'm a power user by any stretch....but still. But the knowledge I do have...is why I'm so afraid/reluctant/gunshy etc to even try a new DAW.

I got Luna free with my Universal Audio Apollo 8P and just cannot wrap my head around trying to even start learning the program. Some folks like it...same with Reaper.....but I'll stick with 'Tools until something happens that I have no option but to change.

Maybe some folks just expect a lot or feel like it should work quicker/easier/faster etc and because they have chosen that particular 'thing' over other options out there..... that manufacturer owes it to them to make it all that.

I've tried an ancient free version of Pro Tools. I should have just used it, pretty easy to get something going. A friend had Digital Performer and recommended it. I suffered for having paid for for that one. After 2 upgrades

I barely used it. Seemed cluttered with palettes and poorly designed for the purpose to me. and just quit using it because I did not find it intuitive or fun the play with. Frustrating is a good word.

Then I got Tracktion with a Mackie interface, version 3 I think. I poked around with it one evening and the next day I recorded a 12 track demo and had it mostly mixed without much of a learning curve.

There are no end to things that can be learned and done. I've certainly gone down some rabbit holes. Builds character.

I still use it, version 11 now and called Waveform. I still really like it, visually it makes sense to me. I like the bottom center panel becoming the menu palette for anything you click on, it keeps the clutter down and you always know right where to look for what you need.

I don't feel like getting the basics of recording tracks and mixing them should take much time to learn. You can make progress and add tricks as you go. I've submitted almost 20 mixes on Metapop and got to scratch a lot of surfaces. It was a great learning experience and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about their DAW.

And I know others have tried Tracktion/Waveform and not liked it. In the end, you could do a great job with just about any DAW out there now.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Caught a post over on the Cakewalk forums where someone posted that he'd "screwed around" with it for four hours, says he hates it, the user interface is incomprehensive

If someone bought a guitar and screwed around with it for four hours, would they have the expectation of being a good guitarist?

Would it in fact be possible to create a DAW where you could be recording music in a satisfying way by screwing around with it for four hours?

Playing guitar and recording with a DAW require different kind of skills, mental, and physical capability, so I don't think this is a very good comparison, but I have heard stories of people picking up a guitar and are playing something passably in a couple of hours. It depends on what you want to play. You can't master either in four hours, or even four decades.

My first DAW was a copy of Sound Forge that came along with a copy of a canned music program - WAV files of phrases that you could tie together to create a song. I was using it in minutes because I already knew how to edit tape. This is a user interface sort of thing. Once I knew where Sound Forge's razor blade and splicing tape were located, I was editing.

But modern DAWs do so much more than my first Sound Forge (as does the current version of Sound Forge) and it's difficult to start out with simple things - both in terms of understanding and patience, or impatience. And there are so many choices, not all of which are documented in ways that are easy to find. And they're hardware-dependent. You work differently on a multitrack project depending on how many inputs and outputs your computer interface has, how many players are playing simultaneously, how many mics you own . . and so on.

If you already know one DAW pretty well and want to try another one, some things will be familiar, others will be unfamiliar - often only due to the vocabulary that the developer chose to use - and, what's my big puzzle is the "I know you can do this, but where's the button or menu or setting menu?" The nice thing about hardware is that the button doesn't move.

Honestly, I don't think that someone who had no clue as to what the recording and mixing process involved could pick up a modern DAW program and start producing in a few hours. But there might be some transferable skills from another program, like perhaps a photo editor, that would help the user catch on.

Audio journalist John Watkinson once wrote in one of his columns: "Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio."

Today - yes. And I'm not joking.

I've been teaching guitar for over 30 years now. Year by year expectation of what can be achieved has been inflated while the time and effort to do it has been reduced.

The "average beginner" now expects to be able to "play guitar" in a couple of weeks. Literally. Meanwhile what I used to get accomplished in the first 2 weeks now takes months, because people feel they don't need to actually touch the guitar at all to "learn how to play guitar". Perception of playing an instrument, production of music, and most importantly the idea of TALENT is so incredibly distorted these days it's super depressing. Throw in the Magic of YouTube and it's really become torture.

I get a lot of people that say things like "I want to take a few lessons so I can play Such-and-Such song at my wedding", "I practiced for 30 minutes wednesday!", "I watched a video on this, but I still can't do it", on and on. The root of all of this is a distorted perception of what it takes to be an ACTUAL MUSICIAN. In the year 2020 I'm here to tell you "people equate playing an instrument to learning how to change the oil in their car". It's a *task* that YouTube can "teach" them to do in a few weeks, with no effort.

35 Years Ago, STUDENT: "You must have been playing since you were 6, 10 years or more!!!" (I was 16, I'd been playing for a year).

25 Years Ago, STUDENT: "You must have been playing for decades!!!" (a single decade at that point...)

15 Years Ago, STUDENT: "You must have been playing for decades!!!" (..uhg, well... yeah..)

5 Years Ago, STUDENT: "Maybe I'll be as good as you when I've been playing for 10 years!!!" (well... uhm...)

1 Year Ago, STUDENT: "Wow, you must have been doing this for years!!!" (..... well, it has been many... years)

This year, STUDENTS: "Why can you play this but I can't? I've tried to do this at least 3 times already!!!" (.......... "that's why I'm the GUITAR TEACHER...???")

I've literally heard that statement, and similar ones. They "tried" a few times and couldn't do it, so something is wrong. "This is too hard, this can't be right". "I practiced for nearly half an hour

the other night, but still couldn't get it".

I saw this coming long ago. We now live in a society where talent is a concept that doesn't exist, and "training" can substitute for anything in just a few weeks. Music has been devalued monetarily, and literally.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

quote=Anderton]

I don't think either one is possible, but that's just my opinion.

Depends.

1)

I know a person who is not a musician, has never played an instrument, can't play an instrument, BUT....

On Facebook he describes himself as a "musician" along with his day job. How can that be?

He downloads apps on his phone where he presses a button to play a loop he chooses (from a list), and selects a drumbeat, imports it into Garage Band and "masters" it. He's "making music", so he's a "musician". The people who know him also think of him as a "musician", he "makes music", and - today you're not allowed to question that. He's a Musician.

In the year 2020.

2)

Within 5 years there will be apps, and plugins, that will use a.i. techniques that will convert any input into an output that matches anything else.

You will have a guitar plugin that doesn't just auto-tune bad bending, but adds vibrato in the style of Hendrix, SRV, Gilmour, amp sound that perfectly mimics any recording, fixes harmony, timing. Same for bass. Vocal plugin that yields any vocalist's style, vibrator, timbre, phrasing.

And what I'm waiting for, a drum plugin that yields a perfect performance from beat boxing anything into it in the style of Bonham, Copeland, Peart or whoever. All with perfect studio quality of your choice. A mastering plugin that will fix any bad production and make it sound like whatever production you choose to train it on. I claim all of the above could be made RIGHT NOW if certain people at certain colleges on the planet wanted to bother doing it.

I also claim most reading this literally do not fathom that I am writing literally. People have no idea just how far advanced a.i. is right now, and how it's going to drastically change everything.

There will initially be "bands" based on concoctions of presets of the basic plugins, but then later as Line6, Roland, or whoever implements it in an amp, you will have "bands" of Guitar Hero people banging away on instruments, but with a recognizable output:

They will be "making music" and call themselves "musicians". People will regard them as "musicians".

What happens to we the Actual Real Musicians at that point is the question. Because just as right now I'm telling people "the general populace" DOES NOT comprehend talent at all", when this era hits it will completely erase the value of being a real musician. My only hope is that the novelty of a "retro", analog musician will be quaint enough to have worth, or that being able to imbue some human quality will still be possible. When everyone can make something that "sounds like the Beatles", true creativity becomes hyper-marginalized.

Plugin manufacturers will be wiped out, real audio engineers will be marginalized further, as the Median I.Q. Drone "makes music" that sounds like things once requiring TALENTED humans to make. 5 years, 6 -7 tops.

/ I keep trying to talk companies into making a midi drum editor that uses a GAN to humanize midi drum tracks.... eventually that will happen.

(All sorts of interesting stuffs)

I will counter that by pointing out that there is another thread on Craig's forum regarding the notable increase in sales of guitars during this pandemic. As with everything, some will be serious and become excellent and others will want their Mommies to magically make them gooder.

There are people as you describe them, "loop tweakers." I spent some time on Metapop.com remixing all sorts of mundane and dreary dreck to learn more about my DAW. I got what i wanted, knowledge.

Nvidia has test robots in their R&D that use a form of AI, they can watch you do something and learn how to do it without any code being written.

Not sure how much it will affect the creative arts but it won't be long before a huge number of jobs worldwide are done by robots operating 3d printers.

I won't say much more since it quickly gets political.

I'm kinda glad I am older. I'd be worried about my future if I was young.

Define "learn." I'm with Chip. It took me three gens of Logic for using it to become reflexive and its still got more working address lines than I do. One big drawback of "America" is the delusion that most things can or SHOULD come quickly. You don't get the Good Stuff without some sweat equity and allowing time for the dough to fully rise. Getting some basic, danceable Ableton loopage going early in is a near-given; that's one of its main thrusts. Performing, recording and mixing down a final, balanced composition with any meat to it in four hours? Unlikely, to my way of thinking, but I'm also not a tweener who skips to the next track if I'm not dancing within 10 seconds. Sparks created a fine old spiritual called "Beat the Clock:" "No time for relationship, skip the foreplay, let 'er rip, you gotta beat the clock!" Oh no, you don't. :/

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Nvidia has test robots in their R&D that use a form of AI, they can watch you do something and learn how to do it without any code being written.

Not sure how much it will affect the creative arts but it won't be long before a huge number of jobs worldwide are done by robots operating 3d printers..

There are some AI applications that would be really helpful to me. For example, there's an audio editing routine that can create words by searching speech and assembling the right sound to create a word. So for example, if I was doing narration for a product called "Kuru's Cat Bites" and then you decide to change the name to "Kuru's Kitty Bites," the program will look for the phonemes necessary to create the word "Kitty" so you can replace "Cat."

It's definitely Brave New World time. There's an incredible documentary on Netflix called "The Social Dilemma" which I urge everyone to see, it explains a lot about what's going on with using algorithms to shape human behavior. Once the machines become smarter than us - which may have already happened - the results will be unpredictable, to say the least.

Not sure how much it will affect the creative arts but it won't be long before a huge number of jobs worldwide are done by robots operating 3d printers..

There are some AI applications that would be really helpful to me. For example, there's an audio editing routine that can create words by searching speech and assembling the right sound to create a word. So for example, if I was doing narration for a product called "Kuru's Cat Bites" and then you decide to change the name to "Kuru's Kitty Bites," the program will look for the phonemes necessary to create the word "Kitty" so you can replace "Cat."

It's definitely Brave New World time. There's an incredible documentary on Netflix called "The Social Dilemma" which I urge everyone to see, it explains a lot about what's going on with using algorithms to shape human behavior. Once the machines become smarter than us - which may have already happened - the results will be unpredictable, to say the least.

Yes, "progress" has snowballed. Finding uses for the technology is still within the human realm but for how long? Your example was probably thought of by a human who then pursued making AI useful for that purpose.

When AI gets to the point that it can make it's own "decisions" things could get "interesting."

If I were young, I would be learning plumbing or elevator repair, something it will be difficult to get robots to deal with. That's where the jobs will be. The interesting part is, where will the money come to pay for such things?

A new financial paradigm is going to be needed as the reality of our "trickle up" economy rears it's ugly head. If nobody has money to purchase things it doesn't matter how much production capacity you have.

• 2 weeks later...

A.I. is going to catch everyone off guard, and will suddenly be part of our lives in a way in which we can't imagine - like the internet is now.

And it will distort social perceptions, human perspective. The median i.q. will gain an even further inflated sense of "talent", and the illusion of value added to something "creative" will be harder to discern from human creation.

While visuals have the "Uncanny Valley" for CG realism, I think there will be, or already is, a "Creepy Trench" where a.i. creation masquerades as human. To me there is really nothing more existentially unnerving than listening to DADABOTS or the new music being

created from the Google a.i. project. Ultra fascinating, but disturbing.

Just as now we know there are plenty of pop/rock/country stars that literally can't really sing, soon there will be "artists" using mostly a.i. production that will gain accolades for doing nothing more than being the first on the scene to lay claim to pretending to make something while using a.i. tools almost exclusively. There will be a surge of hybrid music that will have that "creepy trench" a.i. produced vibe, associated with human faces - but isn't human.

Man, I hate the 21st century.

A.I. is going to catch everyone off guard, and will suddenly be part of our lives in a way in which we can't imagine - like the internet is now.

And it will distort social perceptions, human perspective. The median i.q. will gain an even further inflated sense of "talent", and the illusion of value added to something "creative" will be harder to discern from human creation.

While visuals have the "Uncanny Valley" for CG realism, I think there will be, or already is, a "Creepy Trench" where a.i. creation masquerades as human. To me there is really nothing more existentially unnerving than listening to DADABOTS or the new music being

created from the Google a.i. project. Ultra fascinating, but disturbing.

Just as now we know there are plenty of pop/rock/country stars that literally can't really sing, soon there will be "artists" using mostly a.i. production that will gain accolades for doing nothing more than being the first on the scene to lay claim to pretending to make something while using a.i. tools almost exclusively. There will be a surge of hybrid music that will have that "creepy trench" a.i. produced vibe, associated with human faces - but isn't human.

Man, I hate the 21st century.

If I left all the "corrections" that AI driven auto Spell Check inflicts on my texting, nobody would ever have any idea what I was talking about. AI is great but it is not good - yet.

On the other hand, I might have preferred to watch an AI generated holographic projection over seeing Katy Perry try to "sing" and "dance" for the Super Bowl Half Time Show a few years back.

That sort of scarred me for life.

Don't you worry though, it will get worse - much worse. Wait until robots and 3d printing have taken all the jobs and paychecks disappear by the bajillions. Less than 10 years out by my calculations.

Glad I am old!!!!!

Don't you worry though, it will get worse - much worse. Wait until robots and 3d printing have taken all the jobs and paychecks disappear by the bajillions. Less than 10 years out by my calculations.

A coupla things...

Someone will have to build, maintain, update, debug, and eventually, replace the robots. Goods will still have to move physically from point A to point B. People will still want to have social experiences to some degree.

Ultimately I think AI will have the same curve as vacuum tube transconductance - a linear rise, but then it will reach a point of diminishing returns. It will take a longtime before can make connections among multiple, unrelated disciplines. There's the famous story of how "engineer" Steve Jobs took a course in calligraphy, which made absolutely no conventional sense...but he says it had a profound influence on Apple's "look," which let's face it, was a big factor in its success.

AI will be incredibly good at assisting. But going that final mile will likely need human intervention. For example, there are some techniques I like to use in my mixes. AI might say "cool technique, bro" and start applying it everywhere...at which point it loses its impact, and the human has to come up with something else.

There's also the possibility that instead of having a binary of working/not working, we could have something like 2-day work weeks which would be enough to cover food, clothing, and shelter. If someone wanted to spend the rest of their week making jewelry, teaching kids, or just sitting around and painting, they could. Medical coverage could be shared across society.

Much of my thinking about how society should function is based on my living in Europe for several years. It's a generalization, but there's a certain element of truth in the saying that in Europe, people work to live while in the USA, people live to work. I could easily see Europe sliding comfortably into a future where basics are handled by society, work weeks are trimmed, and the emphasis is on quality of life as opposed to material success. We're starting to see that here with upcoming generations who would rather have an eBook than something that kills trees and takes up space, or who would rather spend their money on travelling and having experiences compared to accumulating material goods.

There will always be things that need to be done by humans. Plumbers and elevator technicians will still have jobs, just for one of many.

I didn't say ALL the jobs would disappear - they never will.

There are still lots of bugs, there are also lots of smart PEOPLE working on those bugs. Nvidea has robots that can watch a procedure and learn how to do it without any coding needed.

That robot could train other robots. Mickey D's employs a LOT of people, robots could and will do those jobs. Cashiers at supermarkets? Lots of those jobs will disappear.

It will be transitional and we won't even really notice it unless we stop and think about it. In Oregon, state law requires a human employee to come out and fill your gas tank, you are not allowed to pump your own gas.

Anywhere else? Few and far between. Lots of 24 hour self serve stations everywhere. It sort of snuck up on us, I remember when gas station attendants pumped gas, checked your oil, cleaned your windshield, etc.

If you look around you see it now. Kroger's, the largest supermarket chain in the US, has installed self serve cashier stations in all of their stores. That is how it starts, it won't be how it ends.

Alibaba has grocery stores in China that automatically charge you for your groceries via your cell phone. Robots replace inventory, a cabbage here, a duck there. It all adds up.

If you look around you see it now. Kroger's, the largest supermarket chain in the US, has installed self serve cashier stations in all of their stores. That is how it starts, it won't be how it ends.

Any time I'm at a store with self-serve checkout and a human, I always go to the human. Originally I did it just to help them keep their jobs, but now I do it because they're faster and more efficient unless there's a huge line. There always seems to be SOME glitch during self-checkout where a human has to come over, punch in a code, remove a duplicate entry, check my ID if I bought wine, or whatever.

Also at Target, I've had several instances where sale prices weren't programmed in, either by accident or design. That also required having a human come over and do a fix. So while the self-serve thing sounds good in theory, and I understand it's inevitable because stores want to cut costs, it doesn't do me any favors and makes for a less efficient shopping experience.

[if I left all the "corrections" that AI driven auto Spell Check inflicts on my texting, nobody would ever have any idea what I was talking about. AI is great but it is not good - yet.

That's cherry picking. There is something odd going on with spell check in general. The first iteration of QuickKey was brilliant, it was almost error free for me - but then it started get crummy, I went back to Google's keyboard, and now it's... horrid, I've turned it off.

That's not a.i., that's humans trying to tinker around with something to "make it better", maybe for job security.

Same goes for Google Voice. Around late 2018 it was amazing (and considering they could use that back end for their spell check - why is it they can translate what you're saying more accurately than what you're typing? I don't buy that...), then it started getting weird. And now - again, it almost doesn't work. I had gotten completely used to not typing in anything, requesting songs by speaking out loud, hardly ever used the keypad; then it just went sideways.

I can't imagine Google's engineers actually use their own product? Although I suspect it may work perfect on a Google Pixel....

On the other hand, I might have preferred to watch an AI generated holographic projection over seeing Katy Perry try to "sing" and "dance" for the Super Bowl Half Time Show a few years back.

Within 5 years it will be so integrated that for big productions like that, they won't let anything go from the "live" feed that isn't massaged by a.i. to look and sound perfect, even if the artist falls off the stage and is not longer even in the camera shot. It will be running serially so that there won't be any interruption, and you'll never know. "Auto-performance" in real time.

Any time I'm at a store with self-serve checkout and a human, I always go to the human. Originally I did it just to help them keep their jobs, but now I do it because they're faster and more efficient unless there's a huge line. There always seems to be SOME glitch during self-checkout where a human has to come over, punch in a code, remove a duplicate entry, check my ID if I bought wine, or whatever.

Also at Target, I've had several instances where sale prices weren't programmed in, either by accident or design. That also required having a human come over and do a fix. So while the self-serve thing sounds good in theory, and I understand it's inevitable because stores want to cut costs, it doesn't do me any favors and makes for a less efficient shopping experience.

I always use humans! At our Krogers - Fred Meyer aka Freddies) we can fill out a survey using the date and a code on our receipt. This provides 50 "fuel points" and a shot at winning a $4500 Freddies gift card.

Gas is cheaper and I use every opportunity on the survey to praise the staff, both as a team and as individuals. Those are jobs here in my community, people who spend money here and are a valuable part of our economy.

Robots will not benefit anybody around here.

[if I left all the "corrections" that AI driven auto Spell Check inflicts on my texting, nobody would ever have any idea what I was talking about. AI is great but it is not good - yet.

That's cherry picking. There is something odd going on with spell check in general. The first iteration of QuickKey was brilliant, it was almost error free for me - but then it started get crummy, I went back to Google's keyboard, and now it's... horrid, I've turned it off.

That's not a.i., that's humans trying to tinker around with something to "make it better", maybe for job security.

Same goes for Google Voice. Around late 2018 it was amazing (and considering they could use that back end for their spell check - why is it they can translate what you're saying more accurately than what you're typing? I don't buy that...), then it started getting weird. And now - again, it almost doesn't work. I had gotten completely used to not typing in anything, requesting songs by speaking out loud, hardly ever used the keypad; then it just went sideways.

I can't imagine Google's engineers actually use their own product? Although I suspect it may work perfect on a Google Pixel....

Within 5 years it will be so integrated that for big productions like that, they won't let anything go from the "live" feed that isn't massaged by a.i. to look and sound perfect, even if the artist falls off the stage and is not longer even in the camera shot. It will be running serially so that there won't be any interruption, and you'll never know. "Auto-performance" in real time.

Not sure I agree that spell check on phones being massively defective is cherry picking since it probably affects more people and wastes more time than most other bumbling AI applications put together but oh well.

Now Katy Perry from a few years back, THAT was cherry picking. Despite my complaint I would rather see that than a fake Katy up there being "flawless". At least she looked uncomfortable, which is honest. :laugh:

A.I. implementation on phones is an isolated use, and if implemented poorly doesn't mean the technology isn't potent. It will affect us more than the internet has, probably more than nuclear technology. It will change every job, every life, in ways we can't imagine.

A.I. implementation on phones is an isolated use, and if implemented poorly doesn't mean the technology isn't potent. It will affect us more than the internet has, probably more than nuclear technology. It will change every job, every life, in ways we can't imagine.

I don't disagree that AI is coming to change our world. It already has but barely the tip of the iceberg.

Radical changes in our entire concept of "commerce" will need to be made in the reasonably near future.

There will be huge shifts in employment - many jobs will simply disappear forever. There will need to be new paradigms for our financial and economic status quo.

I worked in aerospace for almost 2 years. One of my jobs was operating a 3d printer used for prototyping. That was 2014, I knew then that the world was going to change very soon in a dramatic way. It was pretty slow and the quality of the parts was suitable for prototyping but not for manufacturing. Those aspects have been improved and continue to improve, it is just a matter of time before a factory is filled with robots running 3d printers and maybe there are 3 or 4 techs to keep everything going.

People who don't earn money don't buy anything, a real problem in a trickle up economy like ours.

As to the cell phones, I don't know anybody who doesn't suffer the effects of crap spell check. It will change and become a non-issue eventually but right now it's hardly "isolated use", no?

As to the cell phones, I don't know anybody who doesn't suffer the effects of crap spell check. It will change and become a non-issue eventually but right now it's hardly "isolated use", no?

I drink sell phone exchequers are highly evolved.

I drink sell phone exchequers are highly evolved.

Yer skepticalizing iz showng...

Yesterday my phone refused to allow "crap" and spelled it "carp" - twice. There was no context for carp and plenty for crap. That's carp spill chucking