Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Use Arturia FX Bundle for my live vst synths setup ?

Hello guys,

I'm about to buy the Arturia FX collection + 3 modulations for 199 (I have a special offer).

It ends tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

I want to use it for live with my vst synths and keyboards (Omnisphere 2, Keyscape and Arturia V Collection 7).

So I have 3 questions :

- Does these effects will really make my synths sound better ? If for example I always put pre-amps and compressors, it will always sound better, no ?

- Does the internal effects of Omnisphere/Arturia could be enough ?

- Will this be too much CPU-intensive ?

I feel like 199 is a great price but I want to be sure it will actually be enough improvement of the sound :)

Thanks guys

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Does these effects will really make my synths sound better ? If for example I always put pre-amps and compressors, it will always sound better, no ?

Omnisphere is pretty amazing sounding. Does your host not already offer basic plugins like eq, compression, reverb and delay?

- Does the internal effects of Omnisphere/Arturia could be enough ?

Yes.

- Will this be too much CPU-intensive ?

Most FX don"t tend to eat a lot of CPU, the first exception that comes to mind is a convolution reverb plug-in.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Very much in agreement in EJF. It depends what you need the effects for as you know. In a bread and butter way, you can blend into a mix (eq), cut through (compression, sometimes multiple instances) to tighten your live sound. Or you can use them as unique pieces of sound design, with unusual delays, reverbs, distortion and modulation effects. The latter is often for specific moments in a song or a solo. Do you need that?

Many DAWs and synths (such as Omnisphere) have more than sufficient quality these days. What type of host/daw are you using? Arturia has a done a really good job of emulating classic circuits if you don't have the bread and butter. In my case, Logic/Mainstage has an excellent toolkit, so I generally spend my efx dollars for unique sounding multi-efx (like blackhole, shimmer, etc). They are only useful occasionally, but they can really bring goosebumps and make a difference. Hoping this helps you think about your decision.

Thank you guys !

Well that's very good advices :)

I use Gig Performer so there is not really effects such as compression EQ etc.

For Omnisphere I feel like indeed I don't really need Arturia FX, but maybe for the V Collection.

The thing also is that I'd like (quite soon) use mics on an acoustic piano and use FX like reverbs etc.

Even record some stuff for fun or make live streams etc.

So these effects could be useful for this kind of stuff ?

Or it would be equally nice to use Ableton Live ? (I have it)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

Ableton is not lacking in its own effects. This should keep you busy for a bit!

Live onboard FX

It makes sense to take on several effects in the same way you'd add new instruments at times. Logic covers a lot for me, but I still needed a Mellotron and some better guitars.

Arturia FX would be a smart buy for your outside acoustic work. I use Pigments and my company experience has been great. I'd simply suggest digging into Ableton first. Its been well-refined over many years now. I suspect that you'll be able to shelve any larger buys for a while once you get more of a grip on Live's toolbox.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I use the Arturia Pre-1973 on almost all of my keyboard tracks in mixing. I don't use it live in MainStage.

I bought the compressors but I don't use them. I prefer the Waves and Softube compressors that I have for mixing. I very rarely use compression live in MainStage, if I do it's for a sidechain-y effect or for one sound that won't play nice with the rest of my setup, in which case the Apple/Logic compressors do a fine job.

I do use the Arturia delays live in Mainstage. The Memory-Brigade is as good, if not better, than the emulation in NI Guitar Rig, and the Eternity Delay is pretty special on its own.

If you don't have NI Guitar Rig or something similar, I think the new modulation fx are a good buy. I have the NI ones so I don't really need the Arturia but their Mu-Tron Phaser emulation does look really tempting.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.