Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Windows 10 version 2004

After reading about problems with 2004, I was reluctant to upgrade...but Microsoft said I really needed to do it on one of my office computers. Okay.

So I upgraded, and yup, it worked. Yay! Just thought you oughta know. Now let's see whether it can update my music computer that's still running 1903...guess I'll find out soon enough.

Has anyone here had problems upgrading to W10 version 2004?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've updated 7 PCs and 3 VMs of my own, plus 5 for a business client (there are still 3 to go, 2 of which say they aren't ready yet). All went OK on 6 of the 7, the seventh (HP Zbook 17G2) warned me at the first that there wasn't room in the very small hidden partition used for booting. Did a search, found out how to make it visible and see what was there. I had recently updated the BIOS on the machine, and it had both the new and old BIOS in different directories. Copied the old one just in case, deleted it from the partition. All was well.

It did, however, take considerable time, especially on the slower machines.

In general, I've had better results using the Windows Update Assistant, it makes a few extra checks at first.

Tried an experiment with one of mine that "wasn't ready" Made an Acronis image backup just in case, and forced the update anyhow. It ran all night (slow machine), and didn't boot OK. Booted it into repair mode, it proceeded to remove the update and come up OK. Since then, the same computer has said it was ready, and the update went with no problems.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close the loop...updated the studio machine to 2004, and all is well. Hopefully the days of terminal anxiety during a Windows update are a thing of the past :)

Some cool new features, too.

• 2 years later...

I'm glad you shared your experiences with the W10 2004 upgrade. It's awesome to hear it worked out for ya! I'm sure a lot of us have been hesitant to make the switch, but your post gives us some comfort that it can be done. I'm sure I'm not alone who's curious about how the upgrade will work for PCs still running 1903.

I've been very pleased with W10 upgrades since then, too. Now that they've figured it out, they want me to go to W11! Oh well. Overall, I've heard good things about W11 in terms of performance and stability...along with complaints about some questionable UI decisions, and strong-armed upgrading tactics ("it's for your own good...").