Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FP - 10 ...but not available

LX88

Hello

Since there has been a lot of discussion on the Roland RD88 with its 3000 sounds, I became aware that Roland has a keyboard weighing 27 lbs. With the same action and acoustic piano sample. For 499 dollars....the FP 10

Does anyone have one of these? I am highly curious...it seems like it might be the go to portable sound wise and in its price range

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Between (IIRC) no 1/4" line outs, no 5-pin MIDI, and no ability to change sounds except by stopping playing and using a two hand button+key combination, it's definitely a compromise. But if those limitations don't severely impact your use of it, sure, seems like a perfectly reasonable option. Roland piano sounds in general are not my personal favorite, I find the timbre tends to shift too much between pp and ff. But that's subjective.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Is the fp 10 acoustic sample different than the sample in the rd88?

Between Roland Casio and Yamaha I prefer the Roland...at least in the lightweight portable category. Tried an FPv30 last year and was surprised that they offered that sample in a portable. Had no idea that

the fp 10 was available

I tried an FP 10 and an FP30, the way to change the sounds as Scott described is a total pain.

Forget the Rolands at this price point.

The Yamaha P121 or P125 is a much better buy, at least is was for me as I bought a P121.

Piano sounds of the Yamaha are imo superior to the Rolands

Connect up my iPad and I have access to thousands of voices.

Col

Another big difference to me between the Rolands and Yamahas above is how the keys FEEL.

--> That is the keys and the keybed.

To me, the Yamaha keys feel very plastic-ky and cheap -- while the Roland keys feel much more like ivory (the are less slippery, and don't feel cheap).

I also much prefer the action of the Roland keys/keybed too; I had the chance to play an FP-30 next to a P125 at a local shop. To me the P125 was more like a synth, while the FP was more like a piano -- as a piano should be.

So I bought the FP-30; and YES changing the piano tones is not a quick 1-button affair, but it is workable for me at this time.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

My father has just done some modifications on an FP-10 for someone. Installed an output jack more suitable for stage use. (This voids the warranty)

The owner said he really likes this keyboard and is using it solely for piano playing.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The mini jack is not a deal breaker for me. I use. Mini to RCA adapters all the into hi fi amps and mixers

The question remains... Is this basically the same Supernatural piano sample as the RD 88?

The PHA4 keyed is the same. Actually I have heard that this board is 94 note polyphony which may be a sneaky way to get you to consider something more spendy

The mini jack is not a deal breaker for me. I use. Mini to RCA adapters all the into hi fi amps and mixers

The question )... Is this basically the same Supernatural piano sample as the RD 88?

The PHA4 keyed is the same. Actually I have heard that this board is 94 note polyphony which may be a sneaky way to get you to consider something more spendy

Another interesting feature the FP 10 has is an outboard editor via I pad or smart phone. There are editable parameters for keytouch and some amount of eq.