Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Wakeman's Big Organ

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised he held onto it this long. Rick usually gets rid of gear he considers obsolete like the Moogs and Prophets 5 and 10 he sold in 1981 after switching to almost all Korg gear including a BX-3 for stage use.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Here is an interesting article from Vanity Fair. Rick had multiple heart attacks at age 25. He lost all his belongings and was homeless for a time due to the high cost of touring his elaborate stage shows which forced him to rejoin Yes to make ends meet.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/06/the-stranger-than-fiction-secret-history-of-prog-rock-icon-rick-wakeman

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

He says he still has nine Minimoogs, four of which he tours with.
A couple of years ago during the first ARW tour, I did the VIP thing and actually had a chance to talk Minimoogs and Voyagers with Rick- I am pleased to say he definitely shared my opinion re: Voyagers, but was somewhat skeptical about the Minimoog Reissues, which he admitted he hadn't yet checked out. And yeah, he is like a foot taller than me...

Rick usually gets rid of gear he considers obsolete

Check out what he told me around the 6:45 mark.

But to quibble, not all the keyboard parts on The Yes Album were Hammond. There was also Minimoog and piano.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)