Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Pee-Wee Herman Test

Yes, I know this is a seriously lightweight topic. But some of my favorite threads started with a lightweight topic, which nonetheless brought out the wisdom in the SSS Collective Consciousness.

The thread about how people met their significant other got me thinking about this. I've always been interested in what makes relationships work, and as that thread shows, a strong musical bond can be a factor.

However, over the years I noticed that if one person in a couple thought Pee-Wee Herman was hilarious, invariably the other one did, too. Conversely, if someone hated Pee-Wee Herman, usually the other person did as well.

Out of this evolved my theory of PWHTRC - the Pee-Wee Herman Test of Relationship Compatibility. Seriously, it seems really close to 100% accurate. I wonder if there are other single-point gating factors in relationships...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a relationship that finally failed the Helen Reddy vs. ELP test. Some worlds just can't mesh. I also failed the Bowed Psaltry Test, as dog #1 would growl weirdly and pull at my socks anytime I tried to practice. It hit his last doggie nerve. Bagpipes probably would have lost me a foot.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Does anyone remember the the guy (I thought it was a Dr. Diamond but couldn't find it on the Internet so I must be wrong) who claimed that he was unable to raise his arms beyond a certain point when listening to the playback of digital audio?

I don't believe it was ever confirmed by anyone.

I've seen a distinct gender bias with The Three Stooges, the guy loves 'em, the gal can't stand them. I can't think of anything like the PWHTRC though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What about Benny Hill?

Or, Rosanne?

Hard reject from me on all these. I am not out to celebrate the dysfunctions of human nature.

Then again, I watch zero broadcast television, no "shows", and very, very few movies. So I'm probably not even aware of all the dimensions of incompatibility I'd generate.

My compatibility test would be top40 or country music. If my soul-mate to be listened to only top40 or country I'd have to break the engagement.

Nothing wrong with either, but there is so much more. If she can't enjoy Top40 or Country PLUS Classical (Romantic era to present), Jazz (in all its genres), Latin American (Mambo, Merengue, Salsa, etc.), Caribbean (calypso, soca & reggae), Blues, Roots R&B, oldies, swing, and others with me, I'd have to call the whole thing off.

We turned off the TV in the mid 1980s. Disconnected the cable, took the antenna mast down, and never got a digital converter. The last two TV shows we watched were Johnny Carson's last and Jay Leno's first Tonight shows, and we had to go to our mother-in-law's house to see them.

I guess we have personality defects. We need to be busy either in body or mind.

So I guess the TV compatibility test would fail if she watched much TV at all.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

What about Benny Hill?

Or, Rosanne?

Hard reject from me on all these. I am not out to celebrate the dysfunctions of human nature.

Then again, I watch zero broadcast television, no "shows", and very, very few movies. So I'm probably not even aware of all the dimensions of incompatibility I'd generate.

I don't own a television, haven't for decades. I rarely watch anything anywhere. When Chuck Barris passed on I did a YouTube Gong Show marathon.

Guess I'm just a natural born gutter-snipe with a low and slimy sense of humor, so it goes...

Everybody is different. I detest Rosanne, her voice and demeanor just rub me the wrong way. She does have her funny moments.

Benny Hill and the Benny Hill Show is comedic genius in my opinion. He is merciless but does not exclude himself from the humiliation.

It appeals to the Zen Buddhist in me somehow, mockery of the human condition.

Recently I've been adopted into a Lummi family and a good friend who knows them well told me they love to tease each other. Sure enough, I have not emerged unscathed. It's funny, usually quite witty and not at all polite or proper. They've found out I can dish too, years in Fresno "doin' the nines" and "capping" will build these utterly useless but entertaining skills.

Keeps ya on yer toes!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Recently I've been adopted into a Lummi family and a good friend who knows them well told me they love to tease each other. Sure enough, I have not emerged unscathed. It's funny, usually quite witty and not at all polite or proper. They've found out I can dish too, years in Fresno "doin' the nines" and "capping" will build these utterly useless but entertaining skills.

I doubt that one out of 20 readers here will know what/who a "Lummi" is. I've spent time in the Pacific NW, so I just happen to know. But I have no idea what "doin' the nines" and "capping" mean....

nat

I doubt that one out of 20 readers here will know what/who a "Lummi" is. I've spent time in the Pacific NW, so I just happen to know. But I have no idea what "doin' the nines" and "capping" mean....

nat

I will elaborate. Lummi Nation is a reservation including an island on te northern coast of Washington state. The Lummi people are fishermen and traders. At one point they had the largest fishing fleet of any tribe in the world and fished from Alaska to Mexico, trading for other goods along the way. They are lovely people and it is an honor to be welcomed into their lives. We met them because we had a steady gig on Thursdays up north a bit and they loved our music so they came every week and we all became friends.

Doing the nines and capping are pretty similar. Often it is a circle game. Play goes to the right, when it's your turn you say something insulting and funny to and about the person across from you. They can respond. Everybody laughs, this is not about actually taking your friends down, it is good humored banter, a mind game. Improv, keeps you alert and alive.

Sort of verbal chess or something. It's just a game, it's like Jenga in that there can only be losers. Kinda keeps it real.

Different from sniping, which is more of a one on one spontaneous version of the same idea. My Lummi Elder "Brother" has a wife who is from California. She has mad sniping skills, I have to be ready or she'll take me out. We all just laugh, it's a fun game if everybody keeps their sense of humor and reality.

The infamous Yo Mama jokes are one result, not exactly a glowing recommendation of what humans are capable of accomplishing. Without humor, all is lost.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Neither my wife nor I ever thought about, spoke about or watched Pee-Wee Herman. Does this count?

Sorry, no...you are not eligible for the Pee-Wee test.

However, there is another test for people who are already married: If your marriage can make it through remodeling a house, then your marriage can make it through anything.

However, there is another test for people who are already married: If your marriage can make it through remodeling a house, then your marriage can make it through anything.

Same for visiting Ikea. :roll:

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Magic is an odd one in my experience.

I don"t love magic shows or David Blaine type stunts, but I love sleight of hand card and coin tricks, especially when it doesn"t require special equipment.

But my wife of 25 years HATES all magic. She classifies magicians as 'technically liars', which I found hilarious on one of our first dates when I kept pulling foam balls out of my mouth (it was a risky move for a new relationship...like showing your dungeon or animé collection).

"For instance" is not proof.

Both my wife and I love Mr Bean and Black Adder, and only recently did I get her to watch the complete Monty Python works. But we have Never watched PeeWee together. I will rent something and slip it in our viewing queue. I let you know what happens!

From Austin, and hour and a half up I-35 in Waco (famous for cults, right?) there's now the Joanna and Chip Gaines cult. You know, the Fixer-Upper couple. They pay for big billboards that say things like Welcome to Waco, or wish each other Happy Birthday, and so on.

We both think Joanna has terrible taste. This has kept us going through thick and thin.

If you want proof of Joanna's limitations in design, find the episode where they fixer-up a really interesting mid-century modern suburban house. It ended up looking like a hair salon from the 80s - chrome trim, black formica, and other horrors. And of course her obligatory monstrously large wall clock that almost every house gets.

nat

From Austin, and hour and a half up I-35 in Waco (famous for cults, right?) there's now the Joanna and Chip Gaines cult. You know, the Fixer-Upper couple. They pay for big billboards that say things like Welcome to Waco, or wish each other Happy Birthday, and so on.

We both think Joanna has terrible taste. This has kept us going through thick and thin.

If you want proof of Joanna's limitations in design, find the episode where they fixer-up a really interesting mid-century modern suburban house. It ended up looking like a hair salon from the 80s - chrome trim, black formica, and other horrors. And of course her obligatory monstrously large wall clock that almost every house gets.

nat

Don't forget the shiplap. Every Joanna designed house has to have shiplap.

What about liking/disliking chocolate?

Yes, there are people who dislike chocolate. I am not one of them.

I don't understand them but I can forgive since they leave more chocolate for others.

Is it legal to not like chocolate? It's one of the 4 basic food groups:

Food group #1: Coffee (or Tea) because life does not exist without it

Food group #2: Chocolate

Food group #3: Pizza

Food group #4: Everything else edible

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<