Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil releases PC4-7 and SP6-7

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Guess what? All those links are dead now.

Semi-weighted synth I believe.

Possibly Medeli according to a Facebook comment I saw.

From their Product Announcement page and Facebook post:

119040498-10157395861591566-6763797425314639627-o.jpg

Okay, while it's up - a few specs for the SP6-7:

Keyboard: 76-key, semi-weighted action with velocity sensitive adjustable keys (SWA76)

Height: (4.24â³) (10.78 cm)

Depth: (14.07â³) (35.75 cm)

Length: (46.54â³) (119.2 cm)

Weight: (17.53 lb) (7.95 kg)

Power: External Power Supply, 15VDC 2.5A

The site is now down again as I'm writing this. PC4 specs when I can.

Ok. PC4 Specs

Keyboard:

76-key, semi-weighted action with velocity and pressure (aftertouch) sensitive adjustable keys (SWA76)

Display: 480 x 272 pixel high resolution color LCD with adjustable brightness

Polyphony: 256 Voice Polyphony, dynamically allocated

Multitimbral: 16 parts (one per MIDI channel)

Architecture: Dynamic VAST: Powerful synthesis engine, with user programmable DSP algs and routing. More DSP power than even our K Series instruments.

6-Operator FM Engine

VA1 Inside: anti-aliasing, power-shaped oscillators and DSP processing from Kurzweil"s VA1 concept synth, capable of delivering authentic analog emulations as well as incredibly complex new sounds.

Cascade Mode: lets the user route one layer through the DSP of any other layer within a program â up to 32 consecutive layers deep!

Sample Flash Memory: 2 GB of re-loadable, non-volatile, user flash memory

Factory Programs: 1000+

User Programs: 4096

Factory Multis: 50+ â featuring up to 16 independent zones

User Multis: 4096

General MIDI: No

Kurzweil String Resonance: Yes

Master EQ/Compressor: Yes

Effects: Over 1000 complex effect chains, incorporated into programs featuring our award winning effects â reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, phaser, EQs, distortions, rotary speaker simulators, compressors, and more

32 total FX units

Controllers: 1 pitch wheel

1 modulation wheel

9 front panel sliders

9 Knobs

9 switches (assignable/zone mutes/KB3 control)

1 variation switch

Tempo Controls w/ tap tempo

2 transpose switches

Arp Controls

Transport Controls

*2 switch pedal inputs each supporting single switch pedal or single half damper pedal (1 switch/sustain pedal is included; half-damper pedals sold separately)

2 continuous control pedal inputs

monopressure (aftertouch)

Ribbon input (ribbon controller sold separately)

Sequencer: 16 Tracks; 960 PPQ resolution. Song editing functions include both event and track-based tools like quantize, swing, remap, controller scaling and more.

MIDI CC Step Sequencers: 16 simultaneous

RIFFs: 16-per Multi

Arpeggiators: 1-per Program, 16-per Multi

Analog Outputs: Four (2 pairs) 1/4â³ balanced TRS analog (32-bit DACs)

Automatic mono switching on main outs

+21dBu maximum output

50Ω balanced source impedance

Audio Inputs: Two 1/4â³ inputs

One stereo 1/8â³ input (each with FX) for connecting your favorite MP3 player or other audio source for accompaniment playback

Headphones: 1 back panel 1/4â³ headphone output

130mW into 32 ohm headphones

MIDI: In, Out

USB: Two USB ports (one A port / one B port)

Complete MIDI functionality over USB

User program/multi file backup via USB drive

Operating System updates via USB drive

Software Editors: External editors for Mac OS X, Windows PC and iOS* devices

(*coming soon)

FREE OS Updates: OS updates via USB drive

Included Accessories: Power cable, Switch pedal, USB cable

Height: 4.24â³ (10.78 cm)

Depth: 14.07â³ (35.75 cm)

Length: 46.54â³ (118.2 cm)

Weight: 19.4 lb (8.8 kg)

Power: External 15VDC 2.5A Power Supply

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think I am likely to swap out my PC4 for the 76 key version. I suspect it would work as well for me as the 88 does for some of the things I'd now use the 88 for, but there are also scenarios where I could probably make more use of it if it were the smaller, lighter 76. One thing I've personally come to realize after getting the PC4 is just how much I prefer the ergonomics of a bottom board that doesn't have such a deep panel when I'm putting another board over it. And while the PC4 action is okay, it's not something so wonderful that I'd miss having it. So yeah, maybe the 76 will suit me better.

That "SWA76" is not one of the Fatars, either as on their Artis 7 or the Numa Compacts. I guess Medeli, since that's been their alternate supplier of choice lately. I'll be really curious to see how it feels. I only wish it had been the same action as the Artis 7 because I know I'd be able to put the alternate springs I already have into it to make it about perfect for my tastes! But hopefully it's a nice one anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Okay, so the same as the SP6-7 (SWA76), but with aftertouch. INTERESTING...

Okay, so the same as the SP6-7 (SWA76), but with aftertouch.

Parallels the PC4 vs. SP6, same action with and without AT.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dang, thought for a second we had a rare 73/76 note weighted contender. I guess I'm a minority market that would really welcome shorter weighted keyboards. I'm a bit leery about Kurzweil reliability after my pc3 issues but there is no doubt that sound-wise it was a great all-rounder.

I"m tired. ... I don"t suppose the keypad looking set of controls function as one shot sample triggers like on a Fantom or FA do they?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Dang, thought for a second we had a rare 73/76 note weighted contender. I guess I'm a minority market that would really welcome shorter weighted keyboards. I'm a bit leery about Kurzweil reliability after my pc3 issues but there is no doubt that sound-wise it was a great all-rounder.

+1. I had a moment of hope the SP6-7 would be a somewhat more expensive competitor to the Yamaha P121.

Cool.... I hope they have the same SW action as the Medeli SW action in the SP4-7 which I really like (except for sharp edges on some of 'em).

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

When they cut down the Forte to a 7 they kept the weighted action.

I"m thrilled to see the PC4 with a synth action - with AT. Without the fat end cheek areas and without the glowing PC4. Proper upgrade from the Artis 7.

All nice upgrades indeed from the Artis 7...I'm personally disappointed though that they opted for the external power supply on this model. For a keyboard this powerful and at this price the external PS seems lame.

A 61 model for me, please!!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Yeah, would love a 61 too :)

Yes, me too,- WHEN it got a Fatar TP8S or TP9S (from PC361/ K6).

But it seems, they now go the Medelli route completely and I have no clue how these PC4-7 and imaginary PC4-6 actions will feel.

I also wonder if Kurzweil overhauled/upgraded their pitchbend-wheel and mod-wheel mechanism ever.

This is what drives me nuts most w/ my PC3 and even I replaced crappy Alpha w/ sealed ALPS pots.

And I also hope, there´s enough space for the ribbon controller between keys and lower row buttons.

:)

A.C.

I have been looking over the specs for the original PC4-8, It had 6 operator FM compatibility, KB3 Real Organ functionality and also dual stereo outputs (an "A" set & a "B" set"). Assuming that this PC4-7 also has this, that would make this keyboard a fairly viable alternative to either the MODX 7 and\or the YC61. Does anyone know if these separate outputs are also independently addressable as well, to allow different external effects processing on the "B" side?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x