Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casiotone S300 as really cheap travel keyboard?

Yeah, concerning synth/waterfall actions, the S300 is fine. I cannot imagine that the Mk3 is objectively better. This âhalfâweighted' typically doesn't mean much. It may even mean that the springs are too stiff for comfortable playing. That was my major issue with the Alesis QS6. In theory the action was of a very high quality. In practice it was too stiff for playing the black keys near the pivot point.
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

• 1 month later...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered an S300 and a bunch of double AAs. I'm going to give it a go coaching and rehearsing with some singers outdoors. I'll let you know what I think when it shows up!

Have your received your CT-S300? And what are your impressions? Thanks for your feedback.

Casio PX-S1000, Pianoteq 8 Std

Elmer, I hope you like yours better than I did. I've had a number of cheapie boards over the years, and have grown to really dislike the casio and yamaha sounds from these boards. The CTS300 is of the same ilk, bad sound memories for me, and amoung the worst built-in speakers i've heard. Sweet form factor though.

Mike Martin chimed in when I said this in another post, that I'd like the CT-X700, only $30 more. He was very correct. The sound quality is from decent to surprisingly decent, and the speakers, also only 5 watts total, are surprisingly good. Night and day difference.

So... CTS300 vs CTX700

- Weight: 7.3 vs 9.5 pounds. I'd call this pretty close for portability and weight on your legs for couch/bed playing. Every other board I've looked at, other than the Go Piano-61 / Keys, get half again as heavy

- Depth: 10.1 vs 13.8 inches deep. Over 3 1/2" deeper is not exactly close, but better than most out there. The bigger brothers, the CT-X3000 and X5000, jump up to 15.1" deep, which is closer to the norm

I'm really surprised at how good the action is on the X700. So no loss there. But you lose the pitchwheel, which is pretty unacceptable to me.

I'm of the opinion that Casio is testing the market, trying to get folks to migrate upwards. With the allure of good sounds, a definite step up from Yamaha fare on this end of the market, and a cheap price, they get you on their platform, and then it's a 30 day return away from upgrading to the CT-X3000 or X5000. I've talked myself into the X5000! And I may well keep the X700- unlike the X5000, it's battery powered, as well as beeing noticeably lighter and is fun to play. The X700 for couch/bed playing, the X5000 for travel.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Elmer,

Upon reflection I can see how my post might deflate your anticipation and openness for your potential new travel companion. Obviously take my words for what they're worth. I was eager to share my experience because based on other peoples review of the CT-S300 I was anticipating better sound and speakers. My first reaction was extreme disappointment, so if you have that reaction as well, then I found the CT-X700 to be a substantial upgrade with little added cost, weight or depth, a keyboard you could use at a rehearsal or as a backup board, something you'd never want to do with the CT-S300. Looks like I can't help putting my foot in my mouth so I best shush up for now!

R

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Elmer,

Upon reflection I can see how my post might deflate your anticipation and openness for your potential new travel companion. Obviously take my words for what they're worth. I was eager to share my experience because based on other peoples review of the CT-S300 I was anticipating better sound and speakers. My first reaction was extreme disappointment, so if you have that reaction as well, then I found the CT-X700 to be a substantial upgrade with little added cost, weight or depth, a keyboard you could use at a rehearsal or as a backup board, something you'd never want to do with the CT-S300. Looks like I can't help putting my foot in my mouth so I best shush up for now!

R

No worries, it looks like I was wrong about shipment date. My Castiotone is coming from overseas, so I probably won't see for a bit yet. My expectations are pretty low for this board at this price point. I don't imagine using it for more than getting pitch, plunking out melodies, and throwing chords under a singer, or a few band mates singing at most. I agree already though from youtube videos, the piano timbres are not impressive. But I like it runs on battery and has a handle. I've no intention of performing with it. Just for practice. I"ll keep the CTX in mind if really disappointed.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I just got one of these CT-S300 Keyboards. I'm liking it but there's a humming noise coming from both the speakers and the headphones. It sounds a bit like a laptop fan running at low speed. There's also a quieter high pitched buzz coming from the right speaker. I realise this is a cheap keyboard so some low level hum may be acceptable. However I can hear this noise clearly from a meter or so away. Does anyone else who owns this keyboard have the same issue or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks.

Just got one of these to use as a lap board. For $134 (demo model), I think it's a great value. To say it punches above it's weight at this price point isn't saying much. But there's a lot of keyboards in this price range I just wouldn't play. This one I can because the action and touch responsiveness is tolerable.

I think the Roland Go:Piano is better, but not $200 better. The Go:Piano has a heavier touch whereas the Casio is extremely light. I'd prefer it heavier but I can live with it as is.

There's no hum in my speakers or headphones. Paul, I don't think you're being paranoid -- you have a bad unit,.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64