Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free software synth! Pendulate

Free synth courtesy of the Eventide folks.

Clonk

Features

Novel chaotic oscillator based on the double pendulum makes sounds you"ve never heard before, but will want to hear again

Wavefolder based on the one in the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, adding MIX and CUTOFF

Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE

Innovative modulation UI allows modulation over every control from the main page, allowing up to 169 simultaneous modulation routings

MPE support allows amazing control from innovative new controllers

Envelope and LFO each have multiple outputs generated at once, like a modular synth should

Modulation! Every mod output to every control means up to 221 modulation points in an intuitive single pane

Animations! The Double Pendulum, Wavefolder, and Low Pass Gate modules each have animations to show how each module responds to your input, and to modulation

Three unique color schemes to customize your look

136 Presets including artist presets from Matt Lange and Matthew Wang

[video:youtube]

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks amazing. Price can't be beat, and Dan Gillespie, the guy who coded it, really knows his onions. But I'm just not feeling the laptop plug-in thing right now... I am kind of hoping that Eventide can browbeat Dan into making an iOS version, but not holding my breath.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I downloaded it this morning after receiving announcement email from both New Fangled Audio and Eventide. Looking forward to trying it out!

Here's the other thread about Pendulate Chaotic Monosynth started by KuruPrionz earlier today:

Free synth from New Fangled Audio

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Found here:

Pendulate"s full and iLok license-requiring version Generate will be released on September 8th and it will add four more oscillator types, one additional LFO, two envelopes, sample and hold, a step sequencer and more internal effects.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Love the idea. It's simple, yet invites deep exploration ... like a well designed piece of hardware. :clap:

Update: Been fooling around with it for an hour and it is quite excellent. The lowpass gate pings in a very musical way. The chaos oscillator stuff is very responsive. This is a wonderful gift. I look forward to seeing what goodies Eventide puts into the commercial version.

Love the idea. It's simple, yet invites deep exploration ... like a well designed piece of hardware. :clap:

I'd love to hear what you come up with when you get a chance Jerry. I spent some more time with it today and while I love the concept and interface, I m just not coming up with anything that wows me.

I do believe this is my first digital mono that's not trying to emulate a classic.

I do believe this is my first digital mono that's not trying to emulate a classic.
Same, and I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to create usable sounds with it. I actually pulled the plug-in up just for fun when setting up for a synth track I'd been putting off for one of my band's songs, and I dialed in something that worked almost immediately. Definitely a lot more digging in to do, but it seemed relatively intuitive for finding familiar but interesting mono synth sounds with natural MPE responses. I often struggle to weed through all the modulation options in, say, Equator, to get "Moog-y thing with a little portamento that does something weird when I slide up the Y-axis on the Seaboard."

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I'd love to hear what you come up with when you get a chance Jerry. I spent some more time with it today and while I love the concept and interface, I m just not coming up with anything that wows me.

Hi Mark! I am sorry I didn't respond sooner. I missed your comment. We live in an age when almost any sound is available, so to break through, a new synth has to give us a new way of interacting with sound or imagining sound. I don't expect to hear anything from Pendulate that is "warmer than Diva" or "punchier than Monark" but here's hoping it has some character in the way it allows us to interact with it. Fingers crossed. ð¤

Pendulate's "low-pass-gate" has additional filter features (poles and resonance control) which Buchla typically doesn't. To generalize a bit, it allows a way to get more traditional Moog (brassy?) sounds in addition to the Buchla-esque pings and plucks. Also by being able to control a full ADSR envelope, rather than an AD or a D/R ... it's more like a full VCF/VCA East Coast implementation ... so the control system is also a superset of what you might expect from Buchla lowpass gate. I really like that flexibility.

It would have been nice to be able to modulate oscillator pitch with the same envelope which is pinging the filter/gate. Here's hoping the commercial version gives us that ability.

We think alike Jerry. I want my digital to give me something different from analog. Warm and punchy isn't what I'm looking for. But it does have to sound good, at least to me. What I'm finding (as is also true for non linear FM) it seems to gravitate towards sounds that are difficult to play across anything other than a small keyboard range. I think they're often better for percussion and single shot sounds. The problem for me is I almost always want to "play' the sounds.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the LP gate. When you start adding the traditional controls it really does become no different than a VCF.

Thanks for your insights.

Thanks for providing that demo video Arcades, and welcome to the forum. Not directing this at you but this demo confirms what I found playing around with this synth. Very limited in its sound potential, uncontrolled frequency beating with anything sustained other than the purer sounds (few harmonics), no useful high end sounds etc. Notice there are no sounds played in the upper registers.

Sure you can always find a way to use some sounds but FM and additive (to name 2 types) gives you identical flavors with way more control and possibilities. I love to explore new methods of synthesis but I call them as I hear them.

I'm calling BS on this synth.

I was impressed by the GUI. I really liked the graphical multi-trace oscilloscope overlay on the fundamental modules - double pendulum oscillator, Wave Folder and Low Pass Gate ADSR - showing what was going on under the hood in real time. This probably "resonates" strongly with me because that's basically how I learned synthesis 40 years ago. The first thing I did when I got my first synth (Jupiter IV) was to plug it into an oscilloscope so I could see what I was hearing. Very useful learning tool. I haven't kept up with development in soft synths, but this is the first time I have seen this done so well. Is this a new norm in VST's and such, or is it as innovative as it seems to me?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I'm calling BS on this synth.
I hope you can get your money back, Mark! :wink:

Thanks Sam. To my knowledge synth developers don't reimburse for psychotherapy expenses.

:crazy::wacko::hitt::guinness: :guinness: :guinness::keynana:

I think they're missing out on a lucrative service they could offer their demographic!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Pendulate seems to be happiest when it is a little on the gnarly side, timbrally. Similar sounds can be accomplished by other methods to be sure. Something like BT Phobos or Atmosphere is also going to yield roughly similar sounds, as well as more polished ones with a cinematic flair. For me, this synth is going to be a way to obtain unique source material (samples) then transform that material in a wavetable or re-synthesis synth. Alternatively ...

The commercial version of "Pendulate", "Generate" seems to be out now and has polyphony and a few effects. Rishabh Rajan provides an MPE demonstration and a pro-con summary at the end of this video review ....

[video:youtube]