Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Success! Better than an iPod, YouTube Music, or Apple Music!

Some of you may remember my thread where I pondered how long it takes for uploaded music to show up on YouTube Music. Well it still hasn't appeared so I gave up, because Google Play - which was effing wonderful - is being taken out behind the back, and shot. YouTube Music doesn't work for what I want, which is listening to my own music while it's in production; streaming from the cloud is a problem anyway, because it's not always possible to stream when talking a walk. My iPhone still has to go through the iTunes song and dance to get my music on there, and besides, it raelly doesn't have enough memory and there's no elegant want to expand it...

Success!! My obsolete, slow, cheap-ass Samsung J45 smartphone has now turned into an iPod...only better, because even without a functioning sim card, it can still access the net. So I don't need Apple Music or YouTube Music or whatever...and I can drag files from my computer into a folder on the Android with the cryptic name of "Music." When I tap something in that folder, it plays...I don't even need an app to play it.

A lot of places will sell what used to be high-end Android phones for cheap, because they're old enough that they no longer receive security updates. So for like $20 or $30, get a Samsung with a slot for a memory card, stick in 128 or 256 GB, and you'll have a kick-ass MP3 player that will play back through your Bluetooth headphones and other stuff.

Cool. There's always a workaround, isn't there?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a series of dedicated tiny MP3 players to carry music with me when I travel. It wasn't work-in-progress music, though it could have been. When I got a smart-enough phone I said "Hey, I can do this with my phone and that's one less little thing to leave behind in the airplane or rental car" - thank goodness those little players were cheap!

So what's new with you? Is it that you never went through the hassle of loading music on your iPhone that didn't come from or go through iTunes?

On the other hand, I had Android phones starting with OS version 3 that took about 5 years before they could record audio competently and could connect to a USB interface. I was happy when that capability was finally available, and I tried it out, but never actually used it. I just felt more confident using one of my handheld recorders when I really wanted to be sure to bring home a recording.

So what's new with you? Is it that you never went through the hassle of loading music on your iPhone that didn't come from or go through iTunes?

Well...32 GB iPhone, 36 GB music library...so that's problem #1 :)

Problem #2 wasn't a problem, just a hassle...getting particular cuts on and off of the iPhone via iTunes takes more time/effort than dragging a file to a folder.

I get that the situation is different if you're a consumer who wants to subscribe to a service to get a ton of music, but that's not me. Right now I'm mixing an album for one artist, mastering cuts for another one, and doing my own stuff...I want to be able to hear those pieces of music under a variety of conditions, using a variety of playback devices. So far, Bluetooth on a cheapo Android phone wins.

Cool. There's always a workaround, isn't there?

:2thu: glad it's working on Android!

Did you try Audioshare on iOS? It's got all the basic audio hammers, nails, screwdrivers that you need for iOS audio. 2-channel recorder, trims, audio file manager, import/export with all kinds of devices and services. Most importantly, it gets around the Apple iTunes stuff. Worth a look.

http://kymatica.com/apps/audioshare

Well...32 GB iPhone, 36 GB music library...so that's problem #1 :)

I get that the situation is different if you're a consumer who wants to subscribe to a service to get a ton of music, but that's not me. Right now I'm mixing an album for one artist, mastering cuts for another one, and doing my own stuff...I want to be able to hear those pieces of music under a variety of conditions, using a variety of playback devices. So far, Bluetooth on a cheapo Android phone wins.

Well, yes, if you want your entire music library on your phone. That might be the best way for you to work, - I can understand that - but when I load up my phone for a trip, it's rarely more than a gigabyte. This is with 128 kbps MP3 files, so multiply that by 10 for about what full resolution WAV files will take up, which I assume you want to listen to when working on a project. But then when I get home from the trip, I delete the copies on the phone and do my "what do I really want to save" management on the computer. And unless you carry a cable and a few adapters with you, you're still hearing the playback from your phone. You can listen with a few different sets of headphones, or plug it into a few different speaker systems. With a new enough car (or radio) you get the ability to listen to your music in that environment using Bluetooth, and that's a plus, or you can listen on consumer home speakers via Bluetooth, which I believe you've mentioned before that you own.

What's important is that you've found a good and inexpensive solution to whatever your see as your problem.

Problem #2 wasn't a problem, just a hassle...getting particular cuts on and off of the iPhone via iTunes takes more time/effort than dragging a file to a folder.

Completely understood. It's why I never got into iTunes for anything.

I've got a Digital Walkman with over 10,000 songs on it. Most of them are ripped from my CD and LP collection and a few dozen of them I've bought online as mp3 files.

It has a headphone jack which plugs into the AUX of my car's system. I call it "Radio Bob". I put in random mode while driving and I can take long road trips without repeating or boredom.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Did you try Audioshare on iOS? It's got all the basic audio hammers, nails, screwdrivers that you need for iOS audio. 2-channel recorder, trims, audio file manager, import/export with all kinds of devices and services. Most importantly, it gets around the Apple iTunes stuff. Worth a look.

http://kymatica.com/apps/audioshare

Sounds interesting, but I saw in the FAQ that for Bluetooth, it requires two-way communication. My Bluetooth needs are one-way - from music library to ear buds or Bluetooth speakers - so it might be a non-starter for the intended application. However, it looks good for other applications I hadn't considered.

That seems like a lot of trouble. I just render to a Dropbox folder to listen in my car/go for a walk. Or maybe I'm missing something?

There are three main issues...

I could do the same thing with OneDrive as with Dropbox for less money, but I can't always access the cloud...I can always access the phone.

No concerns with data caps. I listen to a lot of music :)

The time required to move files from computer to SD card is minimal compared to uploading/downloading.