Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland DP-10 in Continuous mode doesn't work with Montage 8

Yes, DJKeys, what the board does on the receiving end matters as well. It's interesting that the FP10 and FP30 are programmed to do different things with the signal from the DP10. But the DP10 at least is sending out the full range of an expression pedal... what a board does with those values looks like a different question.

But both Yamaha and Roland accept Yamaha FC4/FC4A for simple sustain so normally closed. AFAIK Yamaha can detect switch "polarity" at startup.

Thank you for the info pawelsz. I am curious where you got it from?

From that thread on motifator forum and the website www.expressionpedals.com

I just looked at this and I"m surprised it works. Wiper on sleeve? :idk: That"s a first.

Weird because it"s not how the FC3A is wired.

Err...almost forgot I rewired my fc3a to work with my PC3x so it very well have been wired per the above link originally.

I think the wiring for Kurzweil is same as for Roland right? Or not?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I overthought this yesterday and see now this was indeed just the typical reverse polarity issue that Pawelsz and Scott suggested.

Thinking the DP-10 had a polarity switch led me to dismiss polarity as the issue. :facepalm:

Not sure where I got wiper is connected to the sleeve? :idk::facepalm: :facepalm:

As I posted yesterday aside from opposite polarity the FC3A is a bit different from the DP-10 since it functions as an on/off and continuous half damper pedal without a switch.

Kurzweil does use the same polarity as Roland. Thanks for that link Pawelsz. The web page and links are very well done and provide some really good info. We have a similar type compatibility spreadsheet here:

Pedal Summary.

Although they"re not expression pedals I"m going to add the DP-10 and FC3A for future reference.

Thanks for the discussion and my apologies for adding confusion.

But both Yamaha and Roland accept Yamaha FC4/FC4A for simple sustain so normally closed.

Right, Yamaha and Roland wire their simple on/off switch pedals the same way (opposite of Korg, Casio, and any others I've seen). Though they apparently do not wire their continuous pedals the same way.

There's a lot more variation in continuous pedals. Three wires gives you more possible combinations than two, plus there's the variations in the pots. The most surprising may be what was just discussed as a side note in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3060791/another-weird-difference-between-korg-japan-and-korg-italy#Post3060791 - Korg's own continuous pedals are not all interchangeable even among Korg models, i.e. Korg themselves have more than one "standard" for their own pedals. Their continuous damper DS1H doesn't work on an SV1, you have to use their DS2H.

AFAIK Yamaha can detect switch "polarity" at startup.

Not that I've ever seen. Yamaha seems to have no interest in supporting non-Yamaha pedals.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not that I've ever seen. Yamaha seems to have no interest in supporting non-Yamaha pedals.

I mean switch so on/off pedal here. There is always said to not stay on a switch pedal when turning on the instrument. If you do so, the pedal switch works in reverse way in Yamaha. So the keyboard is detecting the kind of switch if it is normally closed or open. Checked with P-515 and FC4A now. Same behaviour with FC3A but with half pedalling. Checked just now.

The same pedal switch FC4A works correctly with Roland FA with standard polarity setting no matter if I stand on the pedal when turning the unit on. So Roland FA does not check pedal polarity at startup.

Maybe it is not normally closed (as I wrote before) but normally open. Yamaha says it is normally closed (-).

Maybe it is not normally closed (as I wrote before) but normally open. Yamaha says it is normally closed (-).

FC4 is definitely a normally closed pedal. You can"t change it by just reversing the tip/sleeve.

OK, so everything as expected to be :).

I mean switch so on/off pedal here. There is always said to not stay on a switch pedal when turning on the instrument. If you do so, the pedal switch works in reverse way in Yamaha. So the keyboard is detecting the kind of switch if it is normally closed or open. Checked with P-515 and FC4A now. Same behaviour with FC3A but with half pedalling. Checked just now.

The same pedal switch FC4A works correctly with Roland FA with standard polarity setting no matter if I stand on the pedal when turning the unit on. So Roland FA does not check pedal polarity at startup.

I see what you're saying. But it's not really that that the Yamaha is "detecting" the kind of pedal at startup (i.e. in order to determine what kind of pedal you have)... rather, it's assuming that the correct pedal is connected and NOT depressed. If you depress the pedal, it will not work correctly. This does NOT mean that plugging in a Korg/Casio style on-off sustain pedal will work if you just hold it down while you power up. It won't work.

Roland seems to be a little smarter about it. While neither Roland nor Yamaha will work with the wrong pedal plugged in, at least the Roland will work even if you accidentally have the pedal down when you start it up. Which, considering all the warning about that in manuals, must happen a lot more than you'd expect. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)