Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What�s on the menu this weekend?

Weather is good today, decided to cook it up and chill low key tomorrow. I"m going Octoberfest for a change. Got all kinds of bratwurst, German potato salad (with the bacon) macaroni salad, greens and a variety of German brews. Small gathering. Just the family, my brother in law and cousin. Outside, plenty of space in the yard. Let us know if you were able to do something that looks like Labor Day weekend - and more so, what you ate! Enjoy!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is our 40th wedding anniversary, so we're going to really whoop it up -- for supper my wife is going to fry some sausage patties, and I am going to make "Eggs in Brown Butter," which includes a butter sauce made with a reduction of tarragon vinegar. We'll be having that with home made bread.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

It's a 102 already and suppose to be 110 today and 111 tomorrow so I'm chillin' indoors and probably make a run to the sandwich shop later. Keeping water bottle close at hand. One of the few things I'm missing due to Covid 19 is going to a nice air conditioned theater in summer heat. The other is going to air conditioned gym and working out. So I'll practice, exercise at home, and have a cool salad for dinner, gotta get some the weight I've put on in the stay at home off.

Stay safe and shady all

Today is our 40th wedding anniversary, so we're going to really whoop it up -- for supper my wife is going to fry some sausage patties, and I am going to make "Eggs in Brown Butter," which includes a butter sauce made with a reduction of tarragon vinegar. We'll be having that with home made bread.

This sounds like something fun to do together. Congrats, Tom. On dinner and of course on 40 years!

It's a 102 already and suppose to be 110 today and 111 tomorrow so I'm chillin' indoors and probably make a run to the sandwich shop later. Keeping water bottle close at hand. One of the few things I'm missing due to Covid 19 is going to a nice air conditioned theater in summer heat. The other is going to air conditioned gym and working out. So I'll practice, exercise at home, and have a cool salad for dinner, gotta get some the weight I've put on in the stay at home off.

Stay safe and shady all

Ooo, those are some brutal F temps, Doc. We had a real feel 96 again the other day. But today is 84 and clear. I"ll take what I can get! Stay cool!

Homemade pizza, thick crust. Added minced garlic, pesto and chopped black olives to the crust. And a little extra yeast because I was afraid the other stuff would make the crust heavy. Turned out good.

Like grandma used to make! :) pizza is fun too. I"m too lazy to make dough though. I go pick it up.

I love to cook but I don't have to this weekend.

From out of nowhere, we got 3 outdoor private party gigs.

2 of them are hosted by a great friend of ours. The first one was Friday. Our friend hired Ko, the best teppanyaki chef in our area. There was filet mignon, jumbo scallops and lobster tails, with sides of rice and quick fried veggies.

We were packing up and were offered substantial portions of the above to take with us.

Saturday I had scallops and filet mignon for breakfast and lunch.

Today, we have another outdoor party, right on the water. The last time this happened our great friend was there, he is an Elder in the Lummi Nation. He saw one of his sons out crabbing, called him up and we got 9 large Dungeness delivered fresh from the water. Then he saw his brother out crabbing and got 7 more crabs. That was last Tuesday.

I don't know what will happen today. The food will probably be fantastic, whether I feel safe eating it may be a factor so I'll play it by ear.

Monday, another outdoor party in another location. Ko cooking again, more filtet mignon, scallops and lobster tails. I am comfortable with that, it is all cooked on the spot, the chef has a mask and gloves and being in the band, I get to go first.

Life is not usually this fabulous, this is more gigs in 4 days than we played the rest of the summer. Stay safe and enjoy the holiday everyone!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I cooked a large bone-in pork butt on the Weber Smokey Mountain. I've always cooked pork butts low-and-slow (225F @ 18 hrs +) but this time I cooked it
. 275F for 6hrs, wrap in foil and cook for 3 hrs. It came off with a 200-210F internal temp. Wow did that come out moist! It almost pulled itself. Sides were glazed brussel sprouts and slaw. Alas, no family in attendance. We did a vchat with them though, a pale substitute. When family is present, there are no left-overs. This time, three bags of pulled pork went into the freezer.

Homemade pizza, thick crust. Added minced garlic, pesto and chopped black olives to the crust. And a little extra yeast because I was afraid the other stuff would make the crust heavy. Turned out good.

Like grandma used to make! :) pizza is fun too. I"m too lazy to make dough though. I go pick it up.

I like to make my own dough and experiment (doing this tonight as I type :) ), but picking it up is also great.

Choose your favorite pizza joint and go ask for a couple of dough balls to go. It's usually been formed the day before and cold fermented overnight.

Sauce is also fun to experiment with. My no-cooking-required go-to:

- Small can tomato sauce (if puree add 1/2 can water)

- Small can of tomato paste

- 2-3 cloves garlic

- 1 tsp oregano

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 1/4 tsp black pepper

- 1/2 tsp sugar

- 1 tbsp evoo

- large pinch red pepper flakes

Toppings for tonight are scallions, thinly sliced hot Italian sausage links, mushrooms, and Monterrey jack cheese.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I like to make my own dough and experiment (doing this tonight as I type :) ), but picking it up is also great.

Choose your favorite pizza joint and go ask for a couple of dough balls to go. It's usually been formed the day before and cold fermented overnight.

Sauce is also fun to experiment with. My no-cooking-required go-to:

- Small can tomato sauce (if puree add 1/2 can water)

- Small can of tomato paste

- 2-3 cloves garlic

- 1 tsp oregano

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 1/4 tsp black pepper

- 1/2 tsp sugar

- 1 tbsp evoo

- large pinch red pepper flakes

Toppings for tonight are scallions, thinly sliced hot Italian sausage links, mushrooms, and Monterrey jack cheese.

Thanks for that. I liked this idea a lot. I"m going to do it. I"ll let you know how it goes!

I cooked a large bone-in pork butt on the Weber Smokey Mountain. I've always cooked pork butts low-and-slow (225F @ 18 hrs +) but this time I cooked it
. 275F for 6hrs, wrap in foil and cook for 3 hrs. It came off with a 200-210F internal temp. Wow did that come out moist! It almost pulled itself. Sides were glazed brussel sprouts and slaw. Alas, no family in attendance. We did a vchat with them though, a pale substitute. When family is present, there are no left-overs. This time, three bags of pulled pork went into the freezer.

I just got a WSM two weeks ago and its maiden voyage was a pork butt Aaron Franklin style. Juicy as well, but I pulled it about 30 minutes to soon so it wasn't completely fall apart tender. I need to do a few more smokes to get completely comfortable with it. Up until now, I've been smoking on my original 22" kettle using the snake method going real low and slow. I would usually start the smoke the night before.

Got baby back ribs the freezer waiting for me to buy more charcoal.

Went to put Opah on the grill tonight. Must have been 105+ under a baking sun on our deck, crazy temps for this area. Went inside to get out of the heat. Several minutes later opened the grill to huge flames, almost singed my hair off. Never seen such a conflagration in a propane grill. Opah must be a super oily fish. The culinary result was spectacular, a perfectly charbroiled fish. Enjoyed it with brown rice and broccoli because as crazy Californians that's how we roll.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Went to put Opah on the grill tonight. Must have been 105+ under a baking sun on our deck, crazy temps for this area. Went inside to get out of the heat. Several minutes later opened the grill to huge flames, almost singed my hair off. Never seen such a conflagration in a propane grill. Opah must be a super oily fish. The culinary result was spectacular, a perfectly charbroiled fish. Enjoyed it with brown rice and broccoli because as crazy Californians that's how we roll.

:doh:

Potatoes of certified organic origin, properly somewhat floury kind, one day cooked with filtered and low acidity water, next baked in quality palm oil, with cooked cauliflower. Ceramic pans, combined with Norway salmon and a organic hamburger baked with coconut oil and palm oil, respectively. Not expensive, but with good salt and maybe mustard pretty good.

T

No one around me sells dough. No really good pizza places, only the standard franchises. I sometimes take the easy way out and use a box mix and add yeast. Sometimes use my bread machine for pizza dough. One thing that I eventually discovered is the use of a toaster oven as a warm place to rise the dough. I put a pot holder on top of the oven, sit my bowl of covered dough on top, then turn on the toaster for one cycle. i get just enough warm air rising up from the oven to give the dough a good rise. The pot holder insulates the bowl of dough and keeps too much heat from rising up and cooking the dough.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On Sunday, I baked knotted kaiser rolls for burgers topped with tomato jam I made a few days ago. Add fresh cole slaw, the latest batch of half sour pickles, string beans, and (not pictured) grilled corn with tajin.

Tonight, it"s chicken spiedies, Binghamton, NY"s contribution to cuisine. They"re chicken kabobs marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and a little crushed red pepper.

1401.thumb.jpg.f26e0fed08557b78d27f846158a9b077.jpg

On Sunday, I baked knotted kaiser rolls for burgers topped with tomato jam I made a few days ago. Add fresh cole slaw, the latest batch of half sour pickles, string beans, and (not pictured) grilled corn with tajin.

Tonight, it"s chicken spiedies, Binghamton, NY"s contribution to cuisine. They"re chicken kabobs marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and a little crushed red pepper.

Nice! This is truly going the distance for a great burger!