Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tinnitus anyone?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My tinnitus got a lot worse several years ago in my mid-40's during a very stressful time around a divorce and moving out. Unfortunately, even though I'm now in an ideal marriage and have very little stress, the tinnitus hasn't improved. Mine is mainly in one ear, because I have (a more rare condition) called otosclerosis, which can be greatly improved with surgery. But unfortunately, 1-2% of those having the surgery completely lose their hearing in that ear... which is terrifying. So I guess I'm going to wait for my hearing to get worse and the surgeries to get better. But the tinnitus can be pretty stressful at times.

Both ears more to the left, it's annoying me a bit right now. High pitched sine wave like, phases as if between

the two ears. I use an oscillator on my PC to hetrodyne against it when I'm bored just to screw with it.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Both ears more to the left, it's annoying me a bit right now. High pitched sine wave like, phases as if between

the two ears. I use an oscillator on my PC to hetrodyne against it when I'm bored just to screw with it.

You hear that at all times or only when you're listening to loud audio/music?

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

You hear that at all times or only when you're listening to loud audio/music?

It's there all the time, annoyance or intensity varies. Seems like I've always had it but barley hear it

when I was young. I'd ask my mom and dad if they could hear a faint high pitched noise when all was

silent but they would just look at me like I was nuts. I think the cocaine made it worse though.

I use an oscillator on my PC to hetrodyne against it when I'm bored just to screw with it.
Is it bad taste for me to write that that's the funniest thing I've read all week?
Well at least you're amused and I don't think it's in bad taste, no problem here. Makes me wish I could tickle myself nuts doing this.

I used to hear that faint high pitched noise when all was quiet too, and still do, but for me it seems to be a temporary thing related to how much noise I've been around, and how quiet of a place I soon after find myself in. After a shower, or after turning off the car after a long drive will make it most noticeable, but it eventually goes away. I think it is caused by temporary damage, not really damage, from long periods of being around 50-70dB or higher of high pitched white noise, and something to do with the hearing cells attached to the hairs that let you hear swelling from lots of use.

I've always tried to be very protective of my hearing, using ear protection when around any more than about 75-80dB. I have experienced rare cases of extremely loud sounds, enough to cause immediate ringing/deafness, but my hearing has always seemed to recover luckily. My hearing drops off fast over 18,000hz. I actually seem to have some sort of hyper sensitive hearing which can be quite a bother at times making it hard to get to sleep with a dog barking 1000ft away behind houses or even hearing the fibers in my pillow crinkle.

I recently noticed a mild tinnitus, both ears, very high-pitched, and only at night in a quiet room. But seeing all of your stories over the years did scare the hell out of me, I have always been careful with regard to sound levels (at NAMM I always went around with earplugs, taking them out only when necessary). I was going to say something about stuff posted earlier, but the more qualified SteinwayB (I wonder what kind of piano he owns?) beat me to it. I only use Q-Tips in my outer ear, and I don"t inhale...!

Mine is NOT constant. It only happens when I play a note. As soon as the note stops ringing, so does the buzz in the left ear. It's kind of like the softer version of Tone 9 in this video, but with a more intense ZZZZZ. It's more like that crackle sound when you play a vinyl record.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews