Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"I Live For Your Love" bell sound...

Guys, I"ve been asked to fill a spot at a Natalie Cole tribute, I"m supposed to play the synth parts (not the DX piano) in 'I Live For Your Love'. I don"t have any time to dig deep. Would love some pointers on if this is a classic DX7 preset or something else, just to know where to start. :)

[video:youtube]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man what a great song - thanks for posting that up - makes me remember she had a whole career apart from the posthumous duet stuff she released with her dad.

To me that sounds like either a muted FM bell thing or an analog approximation - and that the core patch isn't as important as the FX (chorus and reverb?) that "glue" the arpeggiated sequence together. The first thing I thought when it was exposed in the intro was maybe a layer between a bell element and plucked element, down in the mix - those were the heady days of layering a bunch of stuff, wasn't it?

Maybe I'm completely wrong, that's what it sounds like to my ear off the top of my head. If I was to do that tune, I'd probably dial up an analog bell thing on the Nord Wave, get the FX up and see how close it got me. Hopefully others can chime in and give you their more expert ear on it.

And I'm gonna go listen to the track again. I really dug this song back in the day.

those were the heady days of layering a bunch of stuff, wasn't it?

Maybe I'm completely wrong, that's what it sounds like to my ear off the top of my head. If I was to do that tune, I'd probably dial up an analog bell thing on the Nord Wave, get the FX up and see how close it got me. Hopefully others can chime in and give you their more expert ear on it.

And I'm gonna go listen to the track again. I really dug this song back in the day.

Yup, plan A is simply winging a sound exactly the way you suggest - I"ll arrive at the rehearsal 10 minutes before the count off so that"s exciting - plan B is that somebody here knows more about it. It"s definitely layered, I played in an 80s tribute so I"ve layered my fair share of analog and fm, and it"s most probably programmed, but I"ll have to play it.

Thanks!!!