Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you have any self imposed purchasing rules.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget whether you're using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows...although SampleTank is compatible with Windows 7, it's 64-bit only.

64-bit Windows. So in theory it should work with Reaper unless Reaper doesn't support 64-bit plug-ins. But that still doesn't explain why loading Sample Tank by itself crashes. Maybe it wants more memory. The crash report is a Windows message, not a Reaper message, something about Windows trying to find a solution, but says it can't.

Just for kicks, I should probably try installing these IK programs on the computer I'm using now (the one in the office) so I don't have to run to the back room to try suggestions as they come in (I don't do e-mail and avoid web surfing on the studio computer).

I'm on a Mac and SampleTank 3 would crash my DAW every time I opened it. I learned a lot with my "forum" search trick. For you, try "Windows (version) Sampletank (version) crash FORUM".

Adding the word "forum" could bring up discussions on the problem and often solutions are forthcoming. There always seems to be somebody who has solved the problem and is sharing their solution for the greater good of all humankind.

I've found help for all sorts of problems that way, from pulling the starter in a car to finding the biggest fretwire.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just for kicks, I should probably try installing these IK programs on the computer I'm using now (the one in the office) so I don't have to run to the back room to try suggestions as they come in (I don't do e-mail and avoid web surfing on the studio computer).

And I did that. I still can't find the VST(2) version of ARC3, and with the same DAWs installed on both the office and studio computers, I don't have much faith in getting it to work.

For some odd reason, when I installed the programs on the studio computer, I installed Sample Tank 4 CS, while on the office computer, I installed just plain Sample Tank 4. This comes up and doesn't crash on the office computer, but it apparently doesn't have any sounds along with it. I can't imagine them not sending ANY sounds along with an initial installation. I'm downloading some sounds now (Sample Tank 4 CS Sound Content) that, if I interpret the IK Product Manager correctly, have 53 days remaining before they blow up.

Since we had a drift toward User Interface here, I'll say that the UI (at least when it hasn't found any sounds) is really confusing. Maybe it'll look more sensible when I get some sounds loaded.

I'm on a Mac and SampleTank 3 would crash my DAW every time I opened it. I learned a lot with my "forum" search trick. For you, try "Windows (version) Sampletank (version) crash FORUM".

I've found help for all sorts of problems that way, from pulling the starter in a car to finding the biggest fretwire.

I learned how to adjust the parking brake on my car when the mechanic at the local garage couldn't find the adjustment. It's an old fashioned drum brake and the slot where you put in the tool to turn the "star" wheel has a hidden rubber plug.

But, really, who wants to bother with a program that crashes? I know IK is a reputable company and I'm sure their software works just fine for people who keep their computers up to date, but I'll have to really need a new capability before I'll do more than a trivial update to a computer that works for everything else that I use it for.

And I did that. I still can't find the VST(2) version of ARC3, and with the same DAWs installed on both the office and studio computers, I don't have much faith in getting it to work.

For some odd reason, when I installed the programs on the studio computer, I installed Sample Tank 4 CS, while on the office computer, I installed just plain Sample Tank 4. This comes up and doesn't crash on the office computer, but it apparently doesn't have any sounds along with it. I can't imagine them not sending ANY sounds along with an initial installation. I'm downloading some sounds now (Sample Tank 4 CS Sound Content) that, if I interpret the IK Product Manager correctly, have 53 days remaining before they blow up.

Since we had a drift toward User Interface here, I'll say that the UI (at least when it hasn't found any sounds) is really confusing. Maybe it'll look more sensible when I get some sounds loaded.

I learned how to adjust the parking brake on my car when the mechanic at the local garage couldn't find the adjustment. It's an old fashioned drum brake and the slot where you put in the tool to turn the "star" wheel has a hidden rubber plug.

But, really, who wants to bother with a program that crashes? I know IK is a reputable company and I'm sure their software works just fine for people who keep their computers up to date, but I'll have to really need a new capability before I'll do more than a trivial update to a computer that works for everything else that I use it for.

IK has separated SampleTank and the sound content. Marketing most likely. The time limit is on downloads, they do encourage you to keep a copy of your installer.

They will often extend the download limit on request.

I am usually given choices as to file type on installation when adding plugins. If I want it for Fishman Triple Play I add the VST version to the AU version. Most of my plugins are AU, just a single version. Installers will happily give you as many options as they offer, bloating your plugin options with redundant choices. Easy way to trim them down is to not install them in the first place.

I don't know what it's like to install on Windows, I've never had a Billy G Box at home. Used them often at work, somebody else maintained the work computers. Sounds like you've hit an impasse, hopefully another forumite will chime in.

IK has separated SampleTank and the sound content. Marketing most likely. The time limit is on downloads, they do encourage you to keep a copy of your installer.

I don't know what it's like to install on Windows,

Well, apparently neither do I. I downloded the sound content (a ZIP file), unzipped it and there were instruments and stuff in it like I was expecting, but when I ran the installer, it said "no sound content to install." I tried moving the files to places where I expected that they could be found (within the Sample Tank folder) but no go.

If they aren't going to supply manual installation instructions. at least the automatic installer should work. I dunno.

[Later] Well, I managed to copy enough files into enough places so that the sounds installed, and they now appear on the Sample Tank main screen. So I selected some strings Part 1 and a picture of a bunch of string instruments popped up. I assumed (you know what that means) that I could play some sounds by clicking on the keyboard at the bottom of the page, but no go. So I checked the settings and MIDI was set for "Any MIDI." I don't have a hardware MIDI interface on this computer, so I guess I'm stuck here for a while. I don't really have any use for this program other than to be a host for ARC 3, so I guess that's the next thing to figure out.

I don't know what it's like to install on Windows,

Well, apparently neither do I. I downloded the sound content (a ZIP file), unzipped it and there were instruments and stuff in it like I was expecting, but when I ran the installer, it said "no sound content to install." I tried moving the files to places where I expected that they could be found (within the Sample Tank folder) but no go.

If they aren't going to supply manual installation instructions. at least the automatic installer should work. I dunno.

IK has a new universal installer app called IK Product Manager. That would probably do a complete install automatically. They are behind the curve on adding that widget, NI, Arturia, Waves and others have had something like that for quite a while now. I have it, it does work well. When my computer got wonky and I did a "nuke and pave" using the plugin installers did make life much easier.

IK has a new universal installer app called IK Product Manager. That would probably do a complete install automatically.

That's what I've been using, and it's what I finally beat into submission so that it said that the sounds were correctly installed. I probably shouldn't have bothered to download the samples - huge file, nothing I'm ever likely to use.

IK has a new universal installer app called IK Product Manager. That would probably do a complete install automatically.

That's what I've been using, and it's what I finally beat into submission so that it said that the sounds were correctly installed. I probably shouldn't have bothered to download the samples - huge file, nothing I'm ever likely to use.

You could toss out most of them, re-scan and proceed with your evil plan?

IK has separated SampleTank and the sound content. Marketing most likely.

No, customer feedback. A lot of companies do this now so that if you saved the content, you don't have to download it again when you install a new version. Also when you have a huge download, it's convenient to be able to pick and choose what you do and don't want to install. Studio One does the same thing - the program is under 2 MB, but the content is around 20 GB. When I went from SO4 to SO5, I didn't have to download any of the content.

IK has separated SampleTank and the sound content. Marketing most likely.

No, customer feedback. A lot of companies do this now so that if you saved the content, you don't have to download it again when you install a new version. Also when you have a huge download, it's convenient to be able to pick and choose what you do and don't want to install. Studio One does the same thing - the program is under 2 MB, but the content is around 20 GB. When I went from SO4 to SO5, I didn't have to download any of the content.

Just as good only better!

I ended up having to download NI Studio Drummer again, 6+ gigs. I didn't bother with Scarbee Bass, it's closer to 7 gigs and I had no use for it first time around. It did teach me to download the demo first!

At this point it's more about "what plugins can I do without" than adding anything. I've started at Favorites folder in my custom plugin folders, eventually that might be just the ones I use and like.

Waveform has a Recently Used folder on top of the plugin popup that temporarily stores my choices, I like that feature. Some things end up more or less just staying there anyway.