Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ settings to "replace" other instruments?

To B3

Thinking of simplifying things and setup and using just my trusty 2000's Korg CX3 to do some dates with my trio when things get back to "normal" (keys / bass-vox / drums). The music is gritty soul/blues/funk with a little rock edge here and there. Any tips of registrations and approach to substitute the other main sounds that I use (clav, rhodes and wurly) and keep things interesting? Plan on bringing my wah and a little delay/echo pedal along for the ride, no leslie, just internal sim.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input, Dave. I guess I know what you're talking about, the strings/oboe/brass presets, right? But I'm after really of settings that mimic better the other vintage/electromechanical sounds that I use: rhodes, clav, wurly, in funt... As I remember, those aren't on the manual or are they?

Anyway, with 578880000 3rd Perc/Normal/Slow I found that it works well for clav-y type grooves when playing on lower.mid registrations, just want some more alternatives to keep things interesting :)

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Your best bet is to go for the groove rather than the sound.

Lots of key click and percussion may let you reproduce the mood of a Clav, but you ain't gonna get the envelope nor the high frequency component.

I second the 16' or 8' plus 2nd perc for substitute rhodes. Perhaps teensy bit -- level 1 or 2 max -- of highs to brighten it into Wurly territory.

I feel your pain -- in the 70s/80s my band often wanted piano out of my Farfisa drawbar organ. We found it easier for the guitarist to cover slow arpeggiated keyboard parts....

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I recall the 2000s era CX3 has a preset voiced like a distorted Wurly, and had a name suggesting that's what it was. I recall it being decent sounding. Different enough from the standard organ sounds and close enough to an electric piano sound for me to think, "Hey, I can tell this is trying to sound like a Wurly."

See if this link helpS

http://keyboardservice.com/Drawbars.asp

Or google 'drawbar settings.' Use your ears and add or subtract one drawbar at a time. Visit Hammond organ sites or fan sites. Good luck and have fun.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Thanks for the inputs, already experimenting. The fake rhodes tip is really nice. The goal is to create a more focused experience, expanding the limits of the instrument, taking the advantage that my bands don't do note-by-note covers, so the freedom is bigger.

Another thing I recall about the CX3 is that it had that experimental setting (EX?) where both sets of drawbars could be used to manipulate a single sound on the keys. I never messed with it much because I wanted the traditional B3 tone, but if you're looking to push the limits of the CX3, you might see where that EX mode takes you.

Yes, the CX3 had that EX function that permitted drawbars to be tuned to additional drawbar pitches besides the usual nine, so it could get a whole bunch of other timbres. I suspect that was used to create the Wurly-ish tone you mentioned.

Back to the OP, I do remember "back in the day" using an organ registration for some Rhodes parts... it came closer than using the Baldwin Electropiano that was my piano (wow, the odds that that comes up twice the same week...). It was 8' full out, and I think 4' (not sure how much, it was a long time ago...)

Though according to https://soundgirls.org/the-fender-rhodes/ "the musical tone produced {on a Rhodes} from about middle C up consists mainly of pure sine waves at the fundamental and first two overtones" so to get that second overtone, adding some 2' as well might have been a good idea.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Though according to https://soundgirls.org/the-fender-rhodes/ "the musical tone produced {on a Rhodes} from about middle C up consists mainly of pure sine waves at the fundamental and first two overtones" so to get that second overtone, adding some 2' as well might have been a good idea.

2 - 2/3 would be the second overtone, right? (5th drawbar, and scaletone)

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

2 - 2/3 would be the second overtone, right? (5th drawbar, and scaletone)

Yeah -- 8', 4', 2-2/3; something like 00 8420 000, or 82 4000 000 at 16'. Too much of the mutation stop and you'll sound like a clarinet.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

338888000 with 3rd perc normal and slow or stoped leslie (with a good amount of overdrive) sounds great for clav type riffs/grooves on tha bottom 2 1/2 octaves.

840000000 with 2nd perc soft and slow/stopped leslie for electric piano kind of sounds is also great as sugested.

All on the regular organ section, no EX. Gonna experiment more the EX later.

Loved the "experiment" so far, let's see soon with the band if they hold their own.

Thanks for the inputs everyone.