Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cover better than the original?

I see you, and I raise you the Derek and the Dominoes version!

I don't know what it is but I've just never been a Clapton fan. I know to say this is sacrilege although I acknowledge his talent, influence and originality. Maybe it's that every 2 bit guitarist in every bar band seems to want to imitate his style and it's grown tiring to me over the years?

:idk:

Btw I never heard that version of LW. Thanks for sharing Sam but nope, didn't change my mind.

Despite the stellar mix :facepalm::D

I'm with you on that. I like some of Clapton's music but I have no idea how the "Great British Guitarist Triumvirate" became Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck.

Jeff Beck can stay, he stands tall on his own mountain. Jimmy Page is a great producer and strummer but pretty much a sloppy hack on lead work. I know, Rory Gallagher is Irish. Ireland is part of the British Empire, no? What about Richie Blackmore, David Gilmore, John Renbourn, Allen Holdsworth, Steve Howe, Albert Lee (I could go on...).

Of course, if we open it up to the world and include guitarists besides rock guitarists then the list of guitarists who have staggering musical talent becomes pretty enormous.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm quite fond of this cover that Craig did of one of my tunes

It's completely different from the original and all the better for it, I think

[video:youtube]

But this also relates to the Bob Dylan comments...yes, just about any Byrds version of a Dylan song is way better, BUT the covers wouldn't have existed without the originals. In the case of "Only Ever After You," I would put it in the "indestructible songs" category. You could do a death metal whaling song version, and it would still turn out OK :)

The graffiti was supposed to say, "Clapton is good."
"He's very talented!"

I wouldn't necessarily list Clapton as one of my favorites (he's definitely one of my dad's favorites, so I grew up with a lot of enthusiasm around him), but that Derek and the Dominoes record is definitely in my top ten. Even though I'd heard Layla one too many times by the time I listened to the whole record, hearing it in context made me experience it differently. Aren't albums fun?

Speaking of the "Great British Guitar Triumverate* (*Some Exclusions Apply)," does everyone know the story about the version of "You Shook Me" on the first Zeppelin album? Page produced essentially the same arrangement for Jeff Beck, then turned around and redid it with Zeppelin without saying anything to Beck first. Page must have been a hard guy to be friends with, at least during that era.

Also, I know he was doing the backstroke through a sea of heroin at the time and Plant and Jones were basically left to their own devices to write the album, but Page's solo on "Hot Dog" from In Through the Out Door is one of the worst guitar solos I've ever heard. It doesn't even sound like a first take, it sounds like a joke take he played because he knew they were just getting levels, and then he just said "good enough." Man, when that band was on, though...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

• 3 years later...

Creedence Clearwater could do a cover and make it their own. Their versions of "I Put a Spell on You" and "Suzy Q" outdid the originals. "I heard it Through the Grapevine" was so different from Gladys Knight and Marvin Gaye's versions that it became a major hit again.

George Thorogood made a career out of covering old blues and country songs and having hits with them.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

55 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

George Thorogood made a career out of covering old blues and country songs and having hits with them.

Led Zep did similar early on. (And not necessarily crediting as such...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If we consider the original version to be Kenny Loggins', which preceded the Doobies' release by a couple of months, then I must say the Queen Of Soul punched it up here.  Having world class backing band helped.  Louis Johnson on bass!

On 7/30/2019 at 2:39 PM, dboomer said:

How about the other way ... songs you first heard as covers and only heard the original versions later on?

Twist & Shout

Piece o" my Heart

Time is on My Side

You Ain"t Nothin But a Hound Dog

"Love Hurts" by Nazareth fits the bill for me here. I heard that first, knew it was a cover.

I later heard the Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris version. Very different take, and I love that one as well. I don't want to say which one I like more, this or the Nazareth. 

Regardless, I love both much more than the Everly Brothers or Roy Orbison version.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, sysexguy said:

This: [video:youtube]

my favourite cover after All Along the Watchtower

I went to school with these guys, and saw them perform in the Student Union at Cal State Northridge, where they were completely unhinged, hilarious, funky, bizarre, and amazing.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I went to school with these guys, and saw them perform in the Student Union at Cal State Northridge, where they were completely unhinged, hilarious, funky, bizarre, and amazing.

Agreed. Its not just funny; the band is TIGHT. This was my entry to Fishbone world. Too bad there aren't more like 'em.

• Like 1

I wanna be the papal nuncio of Las Vegas.
I won't burn long, but I'll burn hot.

Nils Landgren Funk Unit - Dancing Queen

• Love 1

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

"Hush" by Deep Purple from 1968 is the iconic version of that song. Joe South wrote it for Billy Joe Royal whose version was a top 5 hit in Europe but only made about top 50 in the US. Many others have covered the song but Deep Purple's version is the only version that still gets heard. When I first heard Billy Joe Royal's version in 1967 the Na-Na-Na-Na bit reminded me of the part just before the last verse in The Beatles "A Day in the Life".

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I much prefer this over the John Mayer original (for those not into KPop, the vocalist is Rose from Blackpink. The other girl next to her is in a group with her brother called Akmu). John Mayer sent her a pink PRS after seeing this, but I really think he should have sent it to this anonymous guitarist who just crushed this song.

"For instance" is not proof.

4 hours ago, zeronyne said:

I much prefer this over the John Mayer original (for those not into KPop, the vocalist is Rose from Blackpink. The other girl next to her is in a group with her brother called Akmu). John Mayer sent her a pink PRS after seeing this, but I really think he should have sent it to this anonymous guitarist who just crushed this song.

That IS some beautiful guitar playing.