Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Revisiting Kenny Kirkland solo album

Kenny on the Korg: Bring on the Night:

I remember that tour, for Sting's "Soul Cages" album. Only time in my life I ever camped out for concert tickets, specifically so I could see Kenny, who I'd just discovered the year before. I still remember the moment when the band came out, and from my vantage point high up in the nosebleed seats I looked down and thought, "Man, Kenny Kirkland has lost some weight... Hey, wait a second!" Turned out he had bowed out of the US portion of the tour to start working on his own album, and his spot had been taken by David Sancious (who is certainly no slouch, but he's no Kenny Kirkland either).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Kenny with the Michael Brecker Band at a small club in Manhattan in the 80"s. I"m pretty sure it was Fat Tuesday"s. He was absolutely incredible. At one point during a piano solo I thought to myself how could Mike Stern possibly comp to the ever creative harmonic twists and turns that Kenny was playing so masterfully. I looked over at Mike and he was laying out. He and Brecker had the look of awe and delight on their faces!

Kenny"s playing on Michael Brecker"s debut album, which is called Michael Brecker, is wonderful and definitely worth checking out.

I saw Kenny with the Michael Brecker Band at a small club in Manhattan in the 80"s. I"m pretty sure it was Fat Tuesday"s. He was absolutely incredible. At one point during a piano solo I thought to myself how could Mike Stern possibly comp to the ever creative harmonic twists and turns that Kenny was playing so masterfully. I looked over at Mike and he was laying out.

I wondered the same thing the first time I saw this absolutely burning clip. Same result. Mike's no dummy. But Kenny does comp for Mike's solo on a synth organ patch, which is mercifully low in the mix.

[video:youtube]