Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: baseball fans - Tom Seaver has passed

Hall of Famer - played 20 seasons, struck out 3,640 batters, won 311 games for four different teams, but Mets fans called him Tom Terrific.

Was suffering from dementia when he caught the Covid.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tom-seaver-mets-legend-and-hall-of-famer-dies-at-age-75/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seaver was one of the last of the great complete game pitchers. The farther you go back in baseball history, the more common was the complete game. The really big numbers belong to guys with names like Chief Bender and Old Hoss Radburn. But there was a select group of all-time greats still playing in the 80's who would turn out to be the last of the breed. Blyleven, Jenkins, Ryan, Niekro, Carlton . . .. Only Ryan was still at the top of his game in the 80's, but Seaver was an above average pitcher even at the end of his career. Of course the lack of CG's in today's game isn't so much because pitchers have changed, but more that pitching strategy has evolved.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

He was a touch before my time, but we grew up with his legend overshadowing the Mets when I was a kid in the 70s.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Tough loss. Tom Seaver was one of the great pitchers of my childhood, along with Sandy Koufax. Sad to see him go.

For what it's worth, baseball isn't off-topic here. In fact, there's even a dedicated thread:

Official MLB 2020 Thread

You are welcome to participate!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I was 8 when the Mets won the World Series in 1969. Seaver was was my favorite player on that team, and has remained my favorite baseball player of all time.

I had the pleasure of watching him pitch and rooting for him as a Met through most of the 1970s.

I was fortunate enough to be in Yankee Stadium on that day in 1985 when he won his 300th game; he was pitching for the White Sox against the Yankees that day.

There was a ton of Mets fans in Yankee Stadium that day, yelling "Let's Go Mets" because of Seaver.

The Yankees were in a tight pennant race, so the Yankees fans were not pleased by having interlopers in their stadium rooting against a Yankees win.

Fights broke out between the Mets and Yankees fans, and the entire section in front of me was cleared out by stadium security!

RIP Mr. Seaver.

I was fortunate enough to be in Yankee Stadium on that day in 1985 when he won his 300th game; he was pitching for the White Sox against the Yankees that day.

Also notable on that weekend series was the play where Carlton Fisk tagged out two runners at home, on the same play. It was either the day before or the day after Tom's 300th.

I was born in Queens and my father lived there almost my whole life, before he put in his final time in Florida, which is required by law in NY. I knew that 7-train ride to Shea practically before I knew my way to school.

Dad was also friends with Joe Torre, who was with the Cardinals for most of Seaver's time with the Mets, but there were a couple of years of overlap. We went to a lot of games as his guest. I got to go to the locker room and meet all the Mets. I was too young for it to mean as much as it should have, but I met Seaver, and even had a baseball signed by him and the rest of the team.

Then, of course, I brought it out and played with it and another kid asked if he could have it, and I said yes, and when I told my father, it was as close to death as I'd ever seen him.

Years later my father did die. So I think we can agree, Tom Seaver killed my dad, and I will never forgive him for it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com