Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NI Komplete 13 announced

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. The most intriguing thing from 12 was the new Guitar Rig 6, but really it's just a new skin on Guitar Rig 5 with a couple of additional amp sims that don't totally thrill me. I'll probably sit this upgrade cycle out, as I have most of the other additional content from other piecemeal promotions they've done. I'm still trying to figure out Massive X and Rounds.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Yeah as a 12 owner for a last year or so I don't feel the need to upgrade.

I actually haven't used Komplete all that much. Kontakt by far gets the most use, and it was the reason I got the whole thing (the price difference total considering the two sales I got were not that great).

I am using a fair bit of synth on my current project, but Repro and Diva are hogging all the tracks :) Alchemy (I always forget about Alchemy) is sneaking in there too. I don't think it sounds the best but the sound-morphing possibilities are very useful. It's kind of stealing the role that I thought FM 8 would take (chimes, bells, soundscapes etc).

Massive X does sound very nice, as does Monark. It's just that Repro and Diva handle almost all my vintage analog needs, this project is shooting for a more vintage sound.

I've been using the NI bus compressor quite a bit, I like that thing. Replika is nice too.

All I know is, if I catch myself looking at an instrument plugin, I slap my own hand. I have too many really and if anything I need to pare down so I can really learn a few inside and out. The only one I really would like now is Zebra 2, as I hit cpu issues with a bunch of instances of Repro/Diva (had to freeze tracks which is annoying). Getting zebra now means a discount on version 3 later.

I am thinking they will do a promotion on Metapop and give some copies away.

Time to get back into the re-mix mindset. EDM isn't my thing really but it's pretty fun to mangle somebody else's tracks, the lack of commitment frees me to run wild and I learn new things every time.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

So now Noire and Mallet Flux are part of Komplete 13? These two could be a reason why I would upgrade, but I already bought Noire when it came out. Doesn't sound a good upgrade for me so far. Gotta see what else is included.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

from my perspective, it's usually good to wait a few years before upgrading to get your money's worth. I upgraded to Komplete 11 just under 3 years ago and have been sitting tight since, might sit tight some more.

I'm with ya, I bought SampleTank 3 full version when IK had a final blowout sale for $99. The interface was crap, crashed everything. But... when SampleTank 4 came out and they had the cheap stripped down version on sale cheap, I got that and loaded all my SampleTank sounds into it. Works great, was very cheap compared to just buying the full version now.

The update cycle can be a bargain hunter's paradise if you lag behind and scoop up the "obsolete" stuffs.

Vendors with hard copies of Komplete 12 will be blowing them out probably, that's how it's done.

6 months from now somebody on eBay will have an unopened one they can't sell priced for dimes on the dollar.

I still love old school Massive and FM8!

I've shed my "kompletionist" impulses and find that I'm still inspired by the familiar.

I'm not even sure what I'd want out of NI anymore... well, except Kore 3. :D

-John

I use Studio Drummer more than any other plug-in, it is the starting point for almost every project I do. Great tones and they recorded an excellent drummer.

Much easier to groove to than a click track or quantized loop.

I'm on K12 Ultimate so it looks like Noire, Stradivari Violin, Mysteria, Straylight, Pharlight, Butch Vig Drums, Mallet Flux and some guitars, a few other things and expansions.

It's a good addition to what I have. $399 is a lot for the update. Next summer, they will do a Summer of Sound Sale for $199 and I'll bite then.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Apparently those who buy standalone products (such as Noire), can sell the license and then own the product again through a Komplete upgrade. Good to know, but I think like some of you guys, I'll just wait for K14 or whatever.

This is why I stopped buying instruments from NI. They always seem to end up in Komplete. I own 12 Ultimate and will probably skip this upgrade.

Good call. From now on I won't be buying individual NI instruments ever again.

This is why I stopped buying instruments from NI. They always seem to end up in Komplete. I own 12 Ultimate and will probably skip this upgrade.

Good call. From now on I won't be buying individual NI instruments ever again.

I learned this lesson the hard way also, Sam.

:nopity:

Well, I visited the Komplete 13 page and looked at the upgrade price to go from 12 U to 13 U. First they wanted $499! Then $399. Still outrageous. Then I noticed that they were charging me for upgrading from 10 to 13 Ultimate. I think they have some bugs to work out.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don't want to sound like a cry baby, but I feel NI's upgrade policy is a little unfair. It's a great company nonetheless.

If you need to always have the latest and greatest it will cost you.

I recently purchased Izotope RX7, they had a sale on the Elements Suite for $30 so I added 2 new plugins there and then an upgrade to full version of RX7 for $99.

Now RX8 is out and they want another $150 to update from any previous version of RX7 Standard. I'll wait for RX9 or 10.

RX7 already does incredible things.

NI will have a sale once they've cashed in on all the early adapters. IK has sales every now and then as well. It's a waiting game if you want a deal.

Keep an eye out in this forum and Craig's SSS forum for free plugins also, there are some really good ones that come along here and there.

I'll sit this one out as $500 is a lot to spend for probably only really having use for Straylight. I regret doing KUCE last year; I despise the four orchestral libraries due to the GUI and the lack of flexibility in working with them at a level I am accustomed to from using Spitfire and VSL products as my main bread and butter.

I was thinking of selling KUCE12 but ran into the same issue everyone else does, which is that the price differential is minimal to non-existent vs. the stuff one actually ends up using. I may eventually phase out (no pun intended) FM8 in favour of Alchemy and Arturia DX7, but still use Absynth and certainly Kontakt is essential. I also love Reflektor XT and can't get those results with 30 other delay plug-ins that I own.

Here's the clincher though: I couldn't live without NI Discovery Series. I was initially unimpressed, but then I studied the manuals and the GUI's and took the time to really dig deep, and one by one the majority of the instruments in each of those libraries has risen to the top of the heap, with the only remaining exceptions being the single-instrument libraries from ISW for Duduk, Ocarinas, etc. that are my first choice.

The Discovery Series is not cheap, so there's no point in my selling my KUCE12 upgrade/update license. Likewise, Straylight is the only thing I like that has been added as new in KUCE13. Not worth $500 or even $200; I may buy it piecemeal during the Black Friday sale if it's set to $100 at that time.

I bought and sold Noire when it came out. It is excellent, but the timing was bad from my purchasing point of view as VSL came out with back to back high-end piano releases that have obviated the need for anything else other than C. Bechstein Digital Grand. I have sold everything else, where it is allowed to do so. But VSL is wicked expensive, so I still recommend NI Noire, ISW Pearl, and a few others.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On the unfairness issue, I actually think there's more value in KUCE13, KU13, K13 and KSE13 than there was in the K12 variants, in terms of upgrade incentive. I typically do the even numbered releases, which is true for a large number of people (and most of the rest do the odd-numbered upgrades).

Where I feel offended is the voucher being the exact same piddly $25 amount no matter which edition of Komplete you buy. Why not at least make it $50 for KU and KUCE?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It is surprising how quickly things get added to Komplete; two of the items in this October update were just released this summer.

On a somewhat side note though, be aware that the upgrade pricing for Damage 2 from Heavyocity ends soon, and it has been stated that this version will NEVER be made part of Komplete.

I decided not to do the upgrade, as it's expensive even on sale, and as I don't like its wacky workflow and tweakiness, plus I feel I already have enough drum and orchestral percussion options.

Value-wise, the update from KUCE12 to KUCE13 is more bang-for-buck than going from KUCE13 to KU12.

There are a few other upgrade and update paths (so many altogether!), where the largest set makes the most sense as well.

On the other hand, there may come a time where it makes sense to buy a smaller edition for the odd-numbered updates.

This year is not one of those occasions however, as the best newer stuff is pretty much showing up only in KU or even KUCE.

I upgraded from Komplete 7 to Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition this summer.

It installed pretty well on my Win7 Pro SP1 DAW ...

Now I read they don´t support Win 7 anymore with this upgrade,- so I´m out.

Maybe next summer when I decided for Win10 for DAW machine.

A.C.

I upgraded from Komplete 7 to Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition this summer.

It installed pretty well on my Win7 Pro SP1 DAW ...

Now I read they don´t support Win 7 anymore with this upgrade,- so I´m out.

Maybe next summer when I decided for Win10 for DAW machine.

A.C.

Al, I was on a Windows 8.1 computer for a long time...for no particular reason. As more and more programs started ditching support for 8.1, I decided to upgrade to 10. I was able to download it for free from their official site.