Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Electric Grand's best songs.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how good these songs are .... they would sound even better on real piano. ð

Most of them maybe. But I like In Your Eyes as is. Love the sound of the CP there. Fits just right to my ears.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

No matter how good these songs are .... they would sound even better on real piano. ð

Yepper. This is my feeling as well. Never owned a CP, but played 'em many times over the years, and ALWAYS hated the sound. I think though the reason for me is that I always thought it to be a crappy sounding replacement for a real piano, instead of embracing it it as it's own unique instrument.....

Yepper. This is my feeling as well. Never owned a CP, but played 'em many times over the years, and ALWAYS hated the sound. I think though the reason for me is that I always thought it to be a crappy sounding replacement for a real piano, instead of embracing it it as it's own unique instrument.....

I respect your opinion but I think the CP was (is) a unique keyboard voice worthy of the hits they're heard in. At the time, IMO, it made the song sound modern.

ie. If you replaced Hold the line chords with a regular acoustic piano it might sound like a 50's doo-wop sound and certainly Toto could of used acoustic piano but they didn't.

On the other hand... Weather Report 8:30 or Herbie's 1977 VSOP, might of sounded better if they toured with a real acoustic, but again I like that they choose the CP as giving those albums a uniqueness to their catalogs.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I always dug playing a CP 80 for the very reason that I could 'lean into it' in during rock n roll. I get that not everyone loves it, but I"m sure glad I held onto mine. The first time I ever played to a huge crowd on a big, outdoor stage, I was a last minute sub to accompany an opera singer. The back line for the gig was a CP80. Can"t get more trad than that! Sentimentality I guess...but I l still love playing mine every once and a while.

Here is a master playing it very traditionally, seems to fit in nice with the 'new grass' once they take the stage:

. [video:youtube]

I respect your opinion but I think the CP was (is) a unique keyboard voice worthy of the hits they're heard in. At the time, IMO, it made the song sound modern.

ie. If you replaced Hold the line chords with a regular acoustic piano it might sound like a 50's doo-wop sound and certainly Toto could of used acoustic piano but they didn't.

On the other hand... Weather Report 8:30 or Herbie's 1977 VSOP, might of sounded better if they toured with a real acoustic, but again I like that they choose the CP as giving those albums a uniqueness to their catalogs.

And I don"t like Melotrons either. Those were terribly out of date Lo-Fi samplers. An original Ensoniq EPS smokes them. ðð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

And I don"t like Melotrons either. Those were terribly out of date Lo-Fi samplers. An original Ensoniq EPS smokes them. ðð

I don"t think Watcher of the Skies would sound good on anything other than a Mellotron, as crappy as they can be. I hated when people tried to use them in place of actual strings or flutes. But Genesis, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, et al, used them creatively as musical instruments on their own.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Wait a minute... besides the more esoteric Tony Banks album 'A Curious Feeling' which is all CP80...what about George Duke!

This is the keyboard forum, correct?

[video:youtube]

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Force MDs.

As a longtime owner of a CP70 I can attest to the great action and unique sound of this great instrument. I used to singlehandedly haul it to gigs until musicians stopped calling me because they knew I would ask their help setting it up! It is infinitely more enjoyable to play than any digital piano on the planet,, even if it does not sound as "authentic ". BTW, I was amused to see this post and instantly knew it was a response to the Elvis Costello post; beat me to it.

I would say that music often sounds best when played on the instrument that it was written on. There are lots of good CP70-driven songs around, many of which have been mentioned here. My personal favourites are those by Genesis, Gabriel, Collins, Vangelis ... honourable mention goes to Keane.