Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shoulder surgery - the sequel

Some of y'all may know that I had to have my right shoulder repaired last June. Bicep tendon damage and torn labrum from (among other things) too many years moving heavy speakers around. Surgery went really well, recovery took a while but my right arm is stronger than it's been in years.

I've known for a little while that the left shoulder was damaged as well, and that there was an excellent possibility that I would end up needing to have it fixed. I actually screwed it up some by leaning on it too heavily while my right shoulder was incapacitated. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Anyway, the left one is getting fixed up on Friday. Hopefully this one will go as smoothly as last year.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping a good thought and saying a mi shebeyrach for you, my brother.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Good luck with the surgery. I had labrum surgery years ago and maybe tore something there again. Get pain sometimes but have been living with it. Due to my age, wondering if worth fixing. One result of it is, if wearing a tee shirt the neck part of shirt droops toward that shoulder.

:thu:

It's actually more than a bit of a relief to have already done the same procedure on the other shoulder. Nice to know what to expect, and to already have the people and tools in place to rehab.

An unexpected add-on this time that wasn't there last year - I got to get tested for COVID yesterday, and am now quarantined until the surgery.

dB

UGH - as a shoulder victim myself, I feel your pain. When those nerves get pinched, there's no where to run.

Right...?

The lack of sleep thing is the one that kills me. Foer those who have never had shoulder issues, bursitis frequently shows up as well and adds the complication that finding a comfortable position in which to sleep can be...challenging. :pop:

dB

UGH - as a shoulder victim myself, I feel your pain. When those nerves get pinched, there's no where to run.

Right...?

The lack of sleep thing is the one that kills me. Foer those who have never had shoulder issues, bursitis frequently shows up as well and adds the complication that finding a comfortable position in which to sleep can be...challenging. :pop:

dB

I've had a shoulder issue as well. The sports doctor/orthopedic surgeon that I saw diagnosed impingement/subluxation, but only prescribed physical therapy not surgery. I've had repeat dislocations, but am lucky to have avoided bursitis - at least as described by the Mayo Clinic site.

I try to avoid another dislocation by strengthening my shoulder external rotators and practicing the YTWL exercises.

I used to stack up pillows with an arm "gully" to help sleep. I used to fantasize about cutting an arm hole in my mattress!

Now that I'm better, I see that someone else had my idea:

best-pillow-for-side-sleepers-with-neck-and-shoulder-pain.jpg

That's a MedCline. I actually have one of those. It sort of helps.

dB

I dislocated my right shoulder about 2 years ago and it took about a year to be pain free. The most painful part on your body is most likely your shoulder.

I had physical therapy for almost 4 months and had about 95% motion restored but it took almost a year to be pain free

I was doing pushups after about 10 months after dislocation and suddenly I could hear the tendons stretch and all of a sudden I had full motion

of shoulder. I have completely healed with no pain but it took about a year.

Good luck with your surgery!