Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cover better than the original?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now for something completely different. The original version of "We've Only Just Begun", as a TV commercial:

[video:youtube]

After Richard saw the TV ad, he called the composer to ask about Carpenters doing their own version.

Richard really knew how to make great arrangements, and my gosh what a voice she had:

That was cool.

A separate comment, not related to the quality of the performance: I found it amusing watching the lead singer keep his head and mouth perfectly positioned for the mic even while moving the rest of his body around, something only a seasoned studio singer would do properly. His facial hair created an impression of the head appearing large for the person's body, and in combination with his checkerboard shirt, and the head remaining mostly still while the body moved, it created a weird effect as if someone has substituted someone else's head over the person's body in the video.

Do I get bonus points for bringing up Kevin Gilbert's version of Led Zep "Kashmir"?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9ZefUny1no

Helmut Lotti does a live cover of Bohemian Rhapsody, including the opera section (!) When I hear those singers pulling that off it brings a tear to my eye.

Buddy Greco's verson of Rodger's & Hart's "The Lady Is A Tramp" originally recorded by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra (featuring Edythe Wright on vocals). Buddy sings and plays the piano on this one, and IMO not only sings it wonderfully, also accompanies himself grandly.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

The first time I came to Las Vegas, probably early Nineties, I saw Buddy Greco. He was playing one of the bar lounges at, I think, the Flamingo. Just a 3 piece. Pretty cool. It was after we saw Wayne Newton at the Hilton theater.

Operations Manager

Transamerica Audio Group

• 11 months later...

Donny Hathaway â Jealous Guy (John Lennon)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxUSQC-KAHM

Not sure that I would say "better," but I love Stevie Wonder's version of "We Can Work It Out" as much, if not more, than the original Beatles version:

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

boy did that bring back memories. Up here in Halifax Nova Scotia, back in the day, SRV played the Misty Moon a few times. The routine was for the band to setup and play Thur as a sound check with actual shows on Fri and Sat eve. There was usually an "open mike" session on Sat afternoon. Anyway, the story goes that on one of SRVs stops one sat session somebody put a chair on stage and guided a blind man (half lit, well into his cups) to the chair and placed a guitar in his hands. It was Jeff Healey. I fantasize about Jeff and SRV jamming to Little Wing. Somewhere out there is a bootleg copy of it in a basement, attic, or garage. One can only hope it finds the light of day.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that, because I don't think that cover takes anything away from the awesomeness of Willie's or BB's version. It's an electrifying performance though, from the monumental project "Rhythm, Country and Blues", that showcased how country and R&B are blood brothers- it's all just soul music.

:yeahthat:

just purchased the cd, thanks for posting. Brother Steve Nathan plays on 3 tracks. :thu:

Welcome! That bass line is SOO badass, and the way it stays constant as the chords change. Then Billy Preston on the Wurli comes in and Reverend Al and Lyle Lovett playing off each other..I can't listen to that track too much. You can hear the inspiration all the way through that project, and the way the musicians were so psyched to be working on it- it deserves an entire KC thread, I think. I would love to read Steve Nathan's recollections of what took place.

Go'in in for the kill- maybe not "better" but we're talking 'bout covering the best of the very best.

I'd never heard the SRV cover before -- what a stellar tribute to Hendrix's playing (and Mitch Mitchell's, as well).

I see you, and I raise you the Derek and the Dominoes version!

I guess this version on YouTube is the "remastered" version -- sounds like a different mix to me, too? I don't remember the bass being panned left like that, or the two vocals panned so far apart, on the version of the record that I have. Anyway, I always feel Clapton is at his best when he has collaborators who push him, and it's hard to get better than Duane Allman trading guitar licks and Bobby Whitlock sharing the vocal.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

:yeahthat:

just purchased the cd, thanks for posting. Brother Steve Nathan plays on 3 tracks. :thu:

Welcome! That bass line is SOO badass, and the way it stays constant as the chords change. Then Billy Preston on the Wurli comes in and Reverend Al and Lyle Lovett playing off each other..I can't listen to that track too much. You can hear the inspiration all the way through that project, and the way the musicians were so psyched to be working on it- it deserves an entire KC thread, I think. I would love to read Steve Nathan's recollections of what took place.

Oof, count me in on that too. More than a few stellar keyboard players on the record -- in addition to Brother Steve and the aforementioned Billy Preston, we've got Benmont Tench, Barry Beckett, and, um, Allen Toussaint? The rest of the session players aren't exactly nobodies either...

Looks like the killer bassline on that tune is played by Hutch Hutchinson, of Bonnie Raitt fame. He's really laying it down. Also in good company on other tracks!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Matt Rollings played B3 on some tracks.

What struck me about most of the record, is how inspired the pairings were. BB and George Jones, Conway Twitty and Sam Moore, Vince Gill and Gladys Knight, Marty Stuart and the the Staples (their version of the Weight) and others. Tanya Tucker and Little Richard were an absolute hoot.

I believe passionately in the premise of that project. I have lived in both worlds, have played in bands that opened for Waylon and BB. Never met a non- Caucasion blues man who didn't love country. The first time I ever played "Today I Started Loving You Again" was while playing in the house band at a blues club.

I see you, and I raise you the Derek and the Dominoes version!

I don't know what it is but I've just never been a Clapton fan. I know to say this is sacrilege although I acknowledge his talent, influence and originality. Maybe it's that every 2 bit guitarist in every bar band seems to want to imitate his style and it's grown tiring to me over the years?

:idk:

Btw I never heard that version of LW. Thanks for sharing Sam but nope, didn't change my mind.

Despite the stellar mix :facepalm::D