Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current iOS apps! What do YOU use?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought this VA polysynth, which is on sale for $3.99. J3PO's demo sold me on it, as well as the discount of course
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I really really love OB-Xd, but I haven't quite been able to get the iOS version to play nice with my workflow. I have yet to see it successfully accept a MIDI program change...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Just bought this VA polysynth, which is on sale for $3.99. J3PO's demo sold me on it, as well as the discount of course
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I really really love OB-Xd, but I haven't quite been able to get the iOS version to play nice with my workflow. I have yet to see it successfully accept a MIDI program change...

From what I've seen on the Audiobus forum, users have been emailing the developer Jorge about issues they have found, and he seems to be addressing the issues in a timely manner. I don't know if your specific issue is being worked on - prob best to email him to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Continued descent into the miRack rabbit hole led to this:

[video:youtube]

An improvisation featuring Marbles set to Raag Shri. Made sure to record it in the evening - supposedly that's the ideal time to use this raag. For reason I had to manually tune Rings via the Frequency knob, because it seemed to like playing a whole step up from the two Plaits modules.

This is all fabulous stuff, Gov! I want to watch it all in more detail, and thanks so much for keeping it coming.

BTW, +1 on OB-Xd, which is in fact a very cool app for the money.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 1 month later...

I have not actually used this myself yet, but apparently Imagnando LK has just gotten a significant upgrade as a MIDI clip launcher in its own right, evolving further away from its original purpose of being a remote controller for Ableton.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id944972221

Camelot Pro also got a big upgrade and some enthusiasts claim it is just like Mainstage for iPad

https://audiomodeling.com/camelot-overview/

Geoshred was an app I got a few years ago and didn't work with much as I could not figure out how to play any of the sounds with control over dynamics as well as pitch. The new GeoSWAM instruments are so much more responsive to touch and finger movements.

So far I got the GeoFlute and GeoOboe IAPs. Might pick up the clarinet too.

There's another user who says he was able to use a normal MIDI keyboard controller. His reported workflow is to use the keyboard to record the basic pitches, then overdub expression data.

I'm having fun just playing on the touchscreen. It's taking some practice to hit the desired pitches and also introduce vibrato, dynamics, etc. but to me it's worth the effort. I tried the Auto Octave feature - it detects if you are playing an arpeggio, and switches the octave up or down depending on the direction of the arpeggio. I haven't really done the repeated arpeggios up/down octave thing ever since I practiced that type of exercise in one of the Alfred's adult piano course books, but it's a neat feature for users who like to shred that way.

• 3 weeks later...
Geoshred was an app I got a few years ago and didn't work with much as I could not figure out how to play any of the sounds with control over dynamics as well as pitch. The new GeoSWAM instruments are so much more responsive to touch and finger movements.

I'm having fun just playing on the touchscreen. It's taking some practice to hit the desired pitches and also introduce vibrato, dynamics, etc. but to me it's worth the effort. I tried the Auto Octave feature - it detects if you are playing an arpeggio, and switches the octave up or down depending on the direction of the arpeggio. I haven't really done the repeated arpeggios up/down octave thing ever since I practiced that type of exercise in one of the Alfred's adult piano course books, but it's a neat feature for users who like to shred that way.

I am just getting into these. Still tweaking Geoshred to work at its best with my LinnStrument, but I'll get there, and as you point out, the display is perfectly fine for playing in many cases.

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 2 weeks later...

There was a thread in which the question was asked about whether Mac app prices would drop down to IOS app levels. I forgot which one.

I just bought the DDMF Magic Death Eye Stereo Compressor which is normally $30, and on sale for $19. A few years ago, $15 and up would have been considered the "regular" price for a "serious" IOS app. So it seems IOS prices are steadily creeping up. No idea what kind of pricing movement is going on in the Mac desktop app world.

I'm not sure I'm seeing that all over. Apps by the bigger makers (like Korg) are very slowly creeping up in price, but a lot of the really good and well-liked ones from the smaller code shops seem to be holding steady.

For now, apps like StaffPad that sell for $90 are still on the extreme end of IOS pricing.

The GeoSWAM IAPs for GeoShred sell for $15 each and there are 6 of them. Although at the moment, all 6 can be had for a bundle price of $50. Presumably after this week, the price will rise back up to the $70 range.

Audio Modeling is working on their own SWAM app for IOS. We will see what price they will charge.

For now, apps like StaffPad that sell for $90 are still on the extreme end of IOS pricing.

My guess is that, with Big Sur we're going to see Mac/iOS app prices rise-fall and meet somewhere in the middle.

I'm curious to see how IK Multimedia will handle their B3X pricing. How will they justify the US$150 difference between the Mac and iOS versions, when they can run on the same machine? Will they create a single version that runs on both? Korg Module/Gadget, Cubasis and others also have to wrestle with this issue.

On the plus side, I'm happy that ForScore is now supported on the Mac (but without any sync support).

That

My guess is that, with Big Sur we're going to see Mac/iOS app prices rise-fall and meet somewhere in the middle.

I'm curious to see how IK Multimedia will handle their B3X pricing. How will they justify the US$150 difference between the Mac and iOS versions, when they can run on the same machine? Will they create a single version that runs on both?

$129 though for the iPad version is a high enough price to make IOS users scream. I'm not going to diss the whole IOS community, as there are some very creative and brilliant individuals in there, but overall we IOS users are cheapskates, lol.

Back to Sunvox, this is the most impressive demo of sound design I've heard yet:

When I chatted with him, he made it sound like all he does is run a sine or triangle wave through the EQ-X module, and boom instant cello sound to rival higher-end modeled cello. I plan to get his String Designer sunsynth and see what kind of work went into it

https://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5148&start=15#p19012

That

I'm curious to see how IK Multimedia will handle their B3X pricing. How will they justify the US$150 difference between the Mac and iOS versions, when they can run on the same machine? Will they create a single version that runs on both?

$129 though for the iPad version is a high enough price to make IOS users scream. I'm not going to diss the whole IOS community, as there are some very creative and brilliant individuals in there, but overall we IOS users are cheapskates, lol.

True that. What gets me are the bad reviews that say, "This program would have been worth $2.99 to me, but not $4.99."

Seriously? I want to reach through my monitor and slap you silly.

Back to Sunvox, this is the most impressive demo of sound design I've heard yet:

When I chatted with him, he made it sound like all he does is run a sine or triangle wave through the EQ-X module, and boom instant cello sound to rival higher-end modeled cello. I plan to get his String Designer sunsynth and see what kind of work went into it

Sunvox... one of those apps I got super-early-on and never got into. I have a feeling that if I'd started on something other than an iPad I might have gotten further, but then again, music coding is SO not me...

Sunvox... one of those apps I got super-early-on and never got into. I have a feeling that if I'd started on something other than an iPad I might have gotten further, but then again, music coding is SO not me...

So far, I've just used the little onscreen keyboard to enter notes into SunVox, as well as sent MIDI to Sunvox from other apps/controllers. I have yet to type in notes as numerical values like the old-school tracker users.

Sound patching on SunVox reminds of Max/MSP. Functionally it's not that different than patching modules together in VCVRack/miRack, but the appearance is more like Max/Pure Data. Module parameter values like ASDR envelope, filter cutoff, etc. are easy to see and adjust - and unlike skeuomorphic controls - which can look pretty but can be annoying to use - the Sunvox controls respond in a predictable manner to finger actions.

iPad version of MixBox - not sure how much longer it will be at the intro price of $40, which is a drastic difference compared to the desktop version. Not using yet but I bought it after seeing a fellow IOS user put it through its paces and report lower than expected CPU usage.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixboxipad/

• 3 weeks later...

Any new purchases for the holidays, anyone? I just dropped some dollars on stuff that is particularly interesting to my brand of audio madness...

Audio Evolution is a full DAW that competes with programs like Auria, reportedly with great success. It hosts AUv3 so the in-app effect purchases appear to be aimed more at the introductory crowd who want an all in one solution that doesn't involve adding third-party apps. I grabbed it because while I do enjoy Auria, it's juuuust offputting enough (to me personally) that I don't leap into it with glee... which didn't stop me from doing a whole album on it....

Radio Unit is an AUv3 sound source that pulls in audio streams from online radio stations. Ostensibly this lets you use AUv3 to clean up streams for personal listening, but it'll be dandy for mangling external stations for experimental audio (yum!)...

Flynth is a cute little synth from Fingerlad that I grabbed for giggles. An earlier purchase from them was Mellowsound, which I have yet to dive into and see if I like it better than Streetlytron Pro.

Also got Chamberlin from Markus Resch, which is meh like his other apps, but I had to get it because Chamberlin...

AudioKit continues to put out its regular "free for a while and then gone forever" apps, most recently the AR-909 drum machine. Then there's HOUSE: Mark I, a Rhodes....

BLEASS has become my new go-to plug-in maker alongside Eventide. I love the Flanger, Delay, and Reverb!

4Pockets plug-ins are always fun, although the vaguely skeumorphic interface can be tricky to use sometimes and not as intuitive as it could be. SlowMoFX is my latest trial there.

Because of all the Keyboard Corner influence, I grabbed Galileo and Galileo 2. Interestingly, there isn't a complete overlap, and I find I like the old version better for some things. Go figure.

I buy a lot of Eventide stuff, which is spendy but really powerful and sounds great. Still getting into TriceraChorus and Undulator.

Chime in!

• 1 month later...

I just found this:

https://www.facebook.com/audiomodeling/posts/1043269239494999

"Only a few days left to take advantage of this amazing promo!

Until February 22, you can buy:

each instrument: $19.99

One family instrument (SWAM Trumpets, SWAM Trombones, and SWAM Horns and Tubas): $84.99

The intro price is a great chance to get our SWAM Solo Brass on your iPad."

Even the $85 for a family instrument bundle is peanuts compared to the desktop version

Before I forget! Digitalism is the newest limited-edition app from AudioKit Pro. It's a really nice piece, grab it before they discontinue it!

Before I forget! Digitalism is the newest limited-edition app from AudioKit Pro. It's a really nice piece, grab it before they discontinue it!

And in general, by the way, supporting AudioKit Pro in all it does is a good thing, both from a community point of view as well as practical musical reasons. AudioKit Pro is the main, if not the only, group developer open-source music apps for iOS, and their work so far has been stellar. While one or two of their apps have been "set aside", often for good reasons -- e.g. FM Player is no longer actively supported because there's a push to move it from sampled FM to an actual FM engine eventually -- their main beasts are constantly being updated with new or refined features and a constant influx of new patch sets, usually free.

Digital D1 and Synth One are really quite good, and constantly getting better. Well worth the time and miminal cash.